cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is my last resort

At the end of November I bought an Iphone through Ebay, I got it December 5th. I flew to Argentina a few days back and used the phone using WIFI, I came back mid-end of January. Since I am deaf, I needed to wait till my audiologist appointment, which was February 22nd, to transfer my phone number to the new telephone and connect my hearing devices to the new phone. My audiologist paired everything and then I proceded to go to Verizon to transfer evcerything, to my surprise, the phone was not usable, it belonged to an account that was not paid, so it is blocked by all us carriers! I proceeded to contact the buyer, who ignored me totally! I send many messages, first nice ones saying : "I hope this was an honest mistake, and so forth". Then I opened a dispute with my credit card company, it was denied. I reopend, sent pictures of the messages etc. Denied again! Verizon does not want to give me any paper work saying the phone is listed under a fraud account. The seller finally contacted me and threatened me with a law suit.  Amex said that I never tried to return the phone that why I am stuck with a 600$ fee. The seller never even contacted me about returning the phone or anything, just to tell me if I continue I would get sued for fraud myself! 

I ended up buying a new phone and the customer service person was able to help me pair my hearing devices (my audiologist was wrong, anybody could do it!) 

Can anyone of you experts tell me what to do? Ebay and my credit card company were not good. I am also a seller and get really good review, although most people do not review ;(.

Thanks in advance,

M

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

This is my last resort

It's to late for any help from Ebay.

Since your credit card wasn't much help, maybe small claims court?

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

Did you pay with Paypal? If, so, you may want to try there too.You have six months there to file item not as described. Is that the reason you used with your cc? I wonder why it was denied.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

Something was done incorrectly by you. American Express is rather good. 

Did you do did not recognize the charge on the card? ...a dispute...that would have been quick and fast.

I have gotten a few from buyers who use this excuse...even though these buyers have purchased from me and others with similar items purchased in the past...and have won.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

Hi everybody,

It was denied because I never returned the phone, however, I could not return it, since I had no return address. I have received the phone in December and I opened the dispute in February or early March. I thought for sure Amex was going to back me up! But since I did not return the phone, they are not with me this time! 

I paid with Amex directly, I think. EBay was too late. 

See? I had no idea that the phone was going to be unusable, it worked fine with Wifi! In the meantime, I was using my old phone for streaming and for phone calls. 

Maria

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

I know this wont help the current situation you're in, but next time, consider buying your iPhone from Apple or a authorized dealer.  I would never ever ever buy a iPhone off ebay.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

hi Maria, sorry to hear all this. No return address on the shipping label when you received the phone?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

Hi everybody,

It was denied because I never returned the phone, however, I could not return it, since I had no return address. I have received the phone in December and I opened the dispute in February or early March. I thought for sure Amex was going to back me up! But since I did not return the phone, they are not with me this time! 

See? I had no idea that the phone was going to be unusable, it worked fine with Wifi! In the meantime, I was using my old phone for streaming and for phone calls. 

Maria

What reason did you use when you opened the chargeback? If it was a NAD. Check the IMEI blacklist and see if the phone is stolen. 

https://imei24.com/blacklist_check/ 

Explain to AMEX that the phone is not functional and buyer refuses to provide or accept the return if that is the case. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

Dispute with the transaction online with American Express is all you needed to do.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

@meryla2909 wrote:

Hi everybody,

Maria

Ordinarily, the credit card company does not expect the card holder to return the item. Why did yours? When you opened the case with AmEx did you tell them the item was “not as described” in the listing?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

A few months ago I lost a chargeback dispute via PayPal.

It was a INR. A online purchase (not ebay).

I was willing to return the item at my expense for a refund, seller ignored me.

I thought it was a slam dunk in my favor, but I Iost.

From all the horror stories I hear on the boards about chargebacks, I thought it would be a piece of cake.

It wasn't. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

I can’t remember exact words but I did tell them my story exactly how I told you! eBay told Amex that I never attempted to return the phone! I don’t think I had the address anymore and the seller completely ignored me! It had been more than two months! I have all the stuff that came with the phone but not the polymailer with the address. I just did not think I needed it! 
maria 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

All you had to do was contact Verizon and they would have told you whether or not the phone was legit. You didnt bother to do this, instead went on vacation.

Likewise, you don't need to see an audiologist to get general service on a phone and transfer your phone number, there is no such thing.

Maybe you needed to see an audiologist to get your hearing devices to work, but that has nothing to with activating and getting service on a phone.

You had 30 days from the date you received your order to initiate a complaint with ebay. Had you contacted Verizon like you should have, you would've known the phone was tied to a fraud account.

As for the return address, you had it when you received your order, and would've had it again had you opened a case on ebay within the 30 day MBG guidelines.

Amex is right, you made no attempt to return the merchandise you say is defective, yet had every opportunity to do so.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

@inhawaii wrote:

From all the horror stories I hear on the boards about chargebacks, I thought it would be a piece of cake.

It wasn't. 

Dammit Jim James, I’m a doctor, not a… it wasn't a piece of cake because you can't return what you didn't receive.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

This is my last resort

It wasn't. 

Makes sense that you would loose and INR chargeback you indicated you were willing to return the item which means you have it. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply