cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The eclipse effect

Does anyone have a gut feeling one way or the other on weather the eclipse will effect sales Sunday Monday and possibly Tuesday? I just read that many thousands will leave home and head toward totality locations.  Are any of you holding back on listings ending on those days? I can't be the only one to have wondered about the eclipse effect. Have a great week.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: The eclipse effect

August is traditionally a travel month.

Traveling people are way less likely to buy on ebay.

Even more paople will travel for the eclipse.

I wouldn't end any important auction between now and Labor Day Tuesday.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

If you have anything that has anything to do with astronomy or the moon - get it listed now because if it is going to sell, now is the time.

As far as people traveling - this will be a test of ebay's theory that people will shop using cell apps no matter what.

I have a friend that is going to the totality - just remember that most of the US will see partial eclipse.  We are getting 75 - 80%.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 36
latest reply

"going to the totality" - that could be a movie title.

We're going.  Hey, maybe I can sell photos.  But someone already probably thought of that.   sunglasses

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 4 of 36
latest reply

We'll be getting 91% here, so should still be interesting

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 36
latest reply

I live directly under the pathway. The excitement around here is amazing. I read that some people living directly under the pathway have rented out spare bedrooms for $2000 per night.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Sigh, despite my ID, I've seen a couple of annular eclipses and I just don't get it.  It will get dark out.  Birds and animals will be confused.  Then the sun will come out again, just as it does every morning except faster. The world will not end; it won't even be affected.  Please spend your extra $2000 buying some of my stuff on eBay.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

only going to help me , if people put a sports jersey/shirt over there eyes...and really need one soon.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Someone asked me the other day if we had made our reservations.  I replied that's the beauty, after me doing it all for everyone for all those years to all corners of the globe, of having someone else handle plans because the someone elses are now parents.

The nerds rocket scientist parents were on top of this a long time ago.  We're staying at a house on Lake Hartwell in Anderson (SC) for several days, not just the totality day.  

I haven't asked the cost yet, which we're supposed to split, because my contribution to expenses changed when I said we'd bring the small ones on the plane with us on the beginning leg, thus giving the parents a leisurely peaceful first day's drive of this wandering clips trip. 

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 9 of 36
latest reply

I did not realize until I got the full monty explanation of sun and earth that the eclipses I've seen in my lifetime were not TOTAL* like this one, which has not happened across the entire US in decades and won't again for decades.

It's the traverse the nation part that has everyone so excited.  Of course, in the beginning I thought that meant, literally, the whole country and I couldn't figure out why we had to call this our family summer vacation.

I now see the light understand.

*Their emphasis, not mine.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 10 of 36
latest reply

But still, why is a total more exciting than annular or partial if you're not astronomically equipped? I was living in the 97% zone for the total eclipse of 1970 and didn't even go outdoors.  There are many natural phenomena that do excite me, but stuff in the sky just doesn't do it.  I want to interview the guy who spent $2K on a room rental.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

List of solar eclipses is huge for the last century.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_in_the_20th_century

And for the 21st century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_in_the_21st_century

I'll be seeing around 80%, even that though is enough to block out the light. 

One thing for those parents with naughty children. Don't tell your child not to look at the sun if they are a rebel. I remember well always having to look at it after my mother told me not to, probably 1968, 1969. That didn't hurt at all! 

Buy them the CORRECT glasses. 

WARNING: Fake protection glasses: 

These "eclipse glasses" are cheap — maybe $1 or $2 each — but if you use bad glasses you risk burning your retina. Injuries might be temporary or longer-term. Improper viewing of the sun during an eclipse could cause "eclipse blindness" or retinal burns.

Special solar filters enable you to look at the partially eclipsed sun. Typically, consumers should look for the stamp of approval from the International Organization for Standardization or ISO and a label indicating that the product meets the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard. 

But it's important to realize that the con artists are printing the ISO logo and certification label on sham solar glasses and handheld solar viewers.

"Don't just search for eclipse glasses on the Internet and buy whatever comes up," warned Rick Fienberg, press officer for the American Astronomical Society

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

But still, why is a total more exciting than annular or partial if you're not astronomically equipped?

Seems to have something to do with the corona, which isn't visible except during total eclipse.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

partial, I totally agree with you.   This is not how I would choose to spend money for a family vacation.  But you have to know the players - my daughter and son-in-law - and why they are excited.   So, if I want a family vacation, this is it.  At least we're going somewhere else for a few days before the days surrounding TOTALITY.

Also, every other trip we tried to plan either never got legs or got canceled.   One person involved got sent out of the country for most of July which really messed things up.  Kindergarten starts in 2 weeks and that meant the end of our annual beach trip (which I loved) that was always the first week in September.

In a former life (think pre-housing collapse), I've spent a lot of money on hotels but spending $2000 for a room for an hour is a bit much.   When the DNC convention was in Charlotte in 2011, we seriously considered renting out our very close to the action condo - we could have gotten about $10,000.  We decided not to - too much stuff to have to haul out and put away somewhere for a week - but we did leave town.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@sg51 wrote:

But still, why is a total more exciting than annular or partial if you're not astronomically equipped?

Seems to have something to do with the corona, which isn't visible except during total eclipse.

Ha!  I know this.  Something about being able to see, in the corona, bumps on the moon.  or something called Bump, which is on the moon.

Let me get back to you on that...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 15 of 36
latest reply