cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The PO would NOT scan my package OR give me a scan receipt!!

I am livid.  

I stood in line and patiently waited my turn so I could have the clerk scan 2 of my eBay packages (labels I printed on eBay, as always).  I have been doing this for years with no problems. 

At the counter, the nasty clerk initially told me she was dropping my 2 packages into a bin and they would be scanned later tonight.

Since I don't trust them to do things right all the time, I told her I needed it scanned right then plus I needed my usual scan receipt.

She refused and said their policy is not to provide scan receipts for people who sell on eBay because sellers here pay RETAIL for our online postage.

I insisted on seeing a manager who apoligized and scanned the packages but didn't know how to print a receipt.

After waiting about 15 minutes for her to ask around, she learned how to print the receipt but in the interim another nasty postal clerk came over and told me this would be the LAST time they would EVER provide me with a RECEIPT.

I told her just because I got a discount on the postage did not mean the P.O. did not get ALL their money but she stood her ground.  

I would like to file a complaint but someone told me not to bother, it wouldn't help.  

Is this true????

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: The PO would NOT scan my package OR give me a scan receipt!!

@posterzone wrote:
Not sure what the problem was. I go to the window all the time and never had a problem. They scan and give a receipt, takes them all of 30 seconds. Instead their ignorance turned it into a whole ordeal. I’d file a complaint and specifically name those who were involved. They’ve wasted everyones time with their nonsense.

I think some of them like to waste other peoples time because hey they gotta be there for 8 hours or more they have nowhere else to be so why not.

Message 61 of 81
latest reply

@kemcin_26 wrote:

@siayan wrote:

@kemcin_26 wrote:
Why all the drama of waiting in line and fighting with them when you should have just drop them in the box provided inside the lobby and been done with it?
Parcels in those bins get scan every night.

Because the person went to the counter to get a scan. They didn't want to drop it in a bin. They have that option but apparently some counter clerk has decided they don't. 

I'm sorry still too much drama drop in the bin and be done with it it will get scammed.

I have a feeling there was attitude on both parts

You got part of it right; " drop in the bin and be done with it it will get scammed".

A scan receipt showing proof that I dropped the package off hopefully will mean I will not get "scammed".   

No attitude here.  They should just do what they are paid to do.   Even IF a clerk did a little bit extra?  that would be awesome.  I give compliments as well.  

Message 62 of 81
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
I'm late to this party...BUT...
My P.O. scans packages with glee and no objections.
BUT...there are jerks in every profession.
Just ask for a scan and don't ask for a receipt. The scan is your receipt.
If they refuse, ask for the postmaster. He'll have NO excuse.
Ezee peezy.

Thanks @nawlinsron2, but the scan is not my receipt.  One of the clerks a few weeks ago scanned a package into the computer with the wrong info.  Fortunately I had the receipt and took it back into the P.O. to show her the mistake she made.  

Message 63 of 81
latest reply

Thanks, @cherry*fizz, I appreciate the time you took to make your post.  

Message 64 of 81
latest reply

Respectfully...how does a bar code reflect bad info?
Does it not register in your ebay sold listings when you click the tracking #?
Message 65 of 81
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
Respectfully...how does a bar code reflect bad info?
Does it not register in your ebay sold listings when you click the tracking #?

If they scan it as delivered instead of acceptance.

But the scanner should know better - they just need a few extra lines of code .. which would be another reason that the seller should go to the PO with the origin zip that they are using when they print the labels.

@generaluser3 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I try to use the "shipped from" zip of the office that I will mail from when printing labels. Not sure where the financial credit goes when paying online, but I try to match with the office.

[...] 

I've always wondered about this.  Does anyone know if you take a package to a post office that is in a different "shipped from" zip code, whether that post office does not get "credit" for doing the work to get that package out?

To clarify: The "Shipped from" ZIP on the label has nothing to do with a PO getting "credit" for the package. It actually shows the ZIP code from which the postage was calculated, for those Shipping methods that are not flat-rate (e.g. Parcel Select, zone-based Priority Mail). The usual rule of thumb is that as long as you are within a ZIP code matching the first three digits of the Ship From ZIP value, the postage you paid will be correct.

"Credit" for handling the package goes to whichever post office actually scanned it, of course. That is based on tracking data, not whatever ZIP code or return address was showing on the label. Thus it's to their benefit to scan each and every package that passes through their hands, as they're supposed to.

Message 67 of 81
latest reply

Message 68 of 81
latest reply

>>have to go to that other
>>PO they said was MINE

"Your PO" is the PO for the "shipping from" zipcode on an eBay label, which defaults to the zip code of your label return address, or whatever the "shipping from" zip was last changed to.

If First Class Package, or Parcel Select, the clerks are technically correct about the zip code / "your PO" issue.

See post 23 here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/USPS-employee-asked-me-to-change-the-zip-code/m-p/285...

and post 3 here:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Media-Mail-add-to-business-pickup/m-p/28544845#M24093...
Message 69 of 81
latest reply

I had a PO in NJ refuse to take my express mail boxes because of the zip code difference from one town over.

Post on Yelp and any other social media, contact the postmaster and complain at the USPS website. The post office thinks they can do what they want because they are the only game in town. And it seems like they have to kill someone to ever get fired. (My dad worked with a LOT of lazy people in his 30 years at the PO) They make pretty good money and a good retirement. Nothing wrong with earning that
Message 71 of 81
latest reply

@kemcin_26 wrote:
Why all the drama of waiting in line and fighting with them when you should have just drop them in the box provided inside the lobby and been done with it?
Parcels in those bins get scan every night.

Not always. I've had many that never got scanned until delivery, and some I've gotten feedback for that were NEVER scanned. I've also had some that were on a scan sheet with 30 other packages but still just said that the postage had been purchased and a label had been made

Message 72 of 81
latest reply

Schedule a free next-day package pickup and a mail carrier will come to get your shipment during regular delivery.  Schedule pickups up to one year in advance at USPS.com  You can also save time by duplicating information from a previous pickup request.

In addition, you might consider looking for your mail carrier in your area neighborhood to scan your packages instead of going to the post office.  

Message 73 of 81
latest reply

@scruffthemuff wrote:

Schedule a free next-day package pickup and a mail carrier will come to get your shipment during regular delivery.  Schedule pickups up to one year in advance at USPS.com  You can also save time by duplicating information from a previous pickup request.

In addition, you might consider looking for your mail carrier in your area neighborhood to scan your packages instead of going to the post office.  

@scruffthemuff, thanks but when I went to check out the next-day pickup, I believe I read I had to have more than 1 package (although I could be wrong).   When I printed the labels it would not have been in my best interest (or my buyers') to schedule a pickup when I could go first thing in the morning and have the packages scanned (as I had been doing all along) immediately.  My mail carrier comes by at the end of the day.  I wanted to get these packages out as early as possible.

Message 74 of 81
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@scruffthemuff wrote:

@scruffthemuff, thanks but when I went to check out the next-day pickup, I believe I read I had to have more than 1 package (although I could be wrong).   When I printed the labels it would not have been in my best interest (or my buyers') to schedule a pickup when I could go first thing in the morning and have the packages scanned (as I had been doing all along) immediately.  My mail carrier comes by at the end of the day.  I wanted to get these packages out as early as possible.

You can schedule a pickup online for one package. If your package is small enough to fit in your box you can stick it in there with the flag up and not even worry about scheduling a pickup.

It shouldn't matter if it's brought to the PO early by you or late by your carrier - the package is likely going out on the same truck at the end of the day. Look at your past tracking to see when they have been historically scanned as outbound from your local PO.

Message 75 of 81
latest reply