cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Battle of The Mega's

Evening Folks,

As many folks know, we were one of the first mid size broad based homesteading sellers here on ebay.

The early years were very good to us and we thank ebay for making those years better than we anticipated.

We also have found the challenge we faced was, and is, being faced by so many other folks not even selling here.

Tonight I needed to restock some of Mrs C's organic goods that we do not produce here so I did an internet search to see what was coming up in the www.

The Titans are fighting it out and they must be sinking mega bucks into search placement.

If I was new to the internet I would think that it was only Amazon, Walmart...a little bit of Target and only a few of the Original whole living sellers coming up in my search.

A couple of years ago one of those companies, intentionally not mentioned,  came here in a torrent of 100's if not 1000's of organic food listings with prices barely above shipping cost with FREE shipping pretty much ended any chance we could ever compete. Now those sellers have prices that are double.

Do folks see that only a few companies seem to have a monopoly on the internet now?

If so do you think it will be broken up?

How do you plan on surviving this over the next 2 years as the momentum continues?

Mr C

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: The Battle of The Mega's

@thenobletuckylife  Wouldn't it depend on what one is Selling? 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 45
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@thenobletuckylife  Wouldn't it depend on what one is Selling? 

Yes it would Mr Lincoln,

Of course the areas of collectibles/antiques/used items have their own niche.

Yet the new goods market seems to be being gobbled up by just a few.

This year and last year especially there have been MANY long term companies fold and by Feb you most likely will find a bunch more like Sears etc. This vacumm is being chased by them. Now extending into foods.

We used to give a fair bit of business to Staples but their prices have gone up sometimes 40% on the things we purchased and seldom do we see the sales/discounts we used to get.

Mr C

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

Just like you said, they are sinking mega bucks into search placement.  That seems to be the way of the world now, the more you pay, the more visibility you get.  That being said, I'm personally aware that there are more places to shop than those, so I will scroll beyond.  I realize not everyone is like that, and often times, I think if we want something we choose the easiest path, which is usually the one right in front of us.

I can hope that since the internet has been around awhile, others know there are more options, and search farther, but I'm not convinced that always happens.

As for if it will be 'broken up', there isn't really anything to break up.  They pay, they stay.  Search engines are in it for the money, just as everyone else.  Someone has to be on the first pages, and that's premium ad space nowadays.  Those who pay the highest, win that spot. Heck, I've searched for something and Target comes up on the 1st page, I click on it, Target doesn't even sell it! 

As for how I'll survive, chugging along, hoping for the best, and being thankful for what I get/have! Just like I've always done 🙂 

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

By diversifying, the products I sale, exploring things that I can custom make, and continuing to look for "vintage" rare treasures; because once the big boys dominate an item(s), it time to move onto something else. 

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife  Thank you for the reply Mr. C ... I saw articles earlier this year about Costco and some other starting to offer limited food items for sale and delivery online.  Other than perhaps perishables I could see an increase in  food items being purchased online and delivered to the home, providing DELIVERED pricing is better than what the Buyer might get at the store.  I can almost see the return of the Dairy box on the front porch too ... years ago we had a butcher make a weekly trip through the neighborhood ... it was not only a convenient way to get meat for a week but also a little of a social event for neighbors.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 45
latest reply

@getitright1234 wrote:

By diversifying, the products I sale, exploring things that I can custom make, and continuing to look for "vintage" rare treasures; because once the big boys dominate an item(s), it time to move onto something else. 

Hi Getitright,

Yes custom made items you can make which means selling here on ebay is one of your few choices since folks come here and do their "google" search in house many times even before they just google it. There's no way we could afford to pay for the placement if we were just having our own site.

Mr C

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@thenobletuckylife  Thank you for the reply Mr. C ... I saw articles earlier this year about Costco and some other starting to offer limited food items for sale and delivery online.  Other than perhaps perishables I could see an increase in  food items being purchased online and delivered to the home, providing DELIVERED pricing is better than what the Buyer might get at the store.  I can almost see the return of the Dairy box on the front porch too ... years ago we had a butcher make a weekly trip through the neighborhood ... it was not only a convenient way to get meat for a week but also a little of a social event for neighbors.

Absolutely...you hit on the next step...back to bringing it to your door step. That's what Amazon did...now Walmart...for years they resisted it...place order online and come to in-store-pickup for free had it's limitations.

Mr C

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Evening Folks,

As many folks know, we were one of the first mid size broad based homesteading sellers here on ebay.

The early years were very good to us and we thank ebay for making those years better than we anticipated.

We also have found the challenge we faced was, and is, being faced by so many other folks not even selling here.

Tonight I needed to restock some of Mrs C's organic goods that we do not produce here so I did an internet search to see what was coming up in the www.

The Titans are fighting it out and they must be sinking mega bucks into search placement.

If I was new to the internet I would think that it was only Amazon, Walmart...a little bit of Target and only a few of the Original whole living sellers coming up in my search.

A couple of years ago one of those companies, intentionally not mentioned,  came here in a torrent of 100's if not 1000's of organic food listings with prices barely above shipping cost with FREE shipping pretty much ended any chance we could ever compete. Now those sellers have prices that are double.

Do folks see that only a few companies seem to have a monopoly on the internet now?

If so do you think it will be broken up?

How do you plan on surviving this over the next 2 years as the momentum continues?

Mr C

To a certain extent I see that attempt to hold competition down and limit the business they might get right here in our grocery stores.  Very close to attempts to undermine and put out of business, truthfully.  HyVee will price match any other grocery store on same-item ads appearing in the week's advertising addition.  So, if you go to Hy-Vee, you can get what they are advertising on sale, AND you can pick up what the other stores were advertising without having to make a trip to shop at them.  HyVee may not have made much profit on the items they price-matched, BUT... they kept their competitor from making ANY money from your purchasing.  They kept you from stepping FOOT in the competitor's store.  Other than the sales though, HyVee is by far the most expensive grocery store to shop in this entire area!

We've always been told, and so have come to understand, that buying in bulk brings the price down, and the companies what invest enough to buy in bulk of THAT magnitude can certainly undermine the prices needed by many others to remain in existence!  HyVee has followed their plan for years now, and one by one the grocery store competitors have gone out of business.  And now the consumers complain to one another about the high prices being charged at HyVee all the time. 

There is basically only one way I've been able to figure out how to thrive alongside this modern way of being in business, and that is to find a way.. something.. that isn't in competition at all with something that I can't compete with!

I remember when a Walmart come to a smaller but mid-sized town in our state.  Right on the edge of town, and immediately few of the shops in town could compete at all.  Store after store struggled, faced with the choice of lowering prices until they couldn't make a dime, or holding prices up where they needed to be, and not making any sales, so no dimes there either.  Some businesses simply went out of business.  They said they were driven out.  But, others took a different tact and altered what they offered.  They started turning themselves into little shops that offered merchandise that Walmart didn't deal in, a little more upscale, a little more of the hard-to-find, a little more specialized and *gift-y* etc. and that turn of merchandise saved them.  Truthfully, today the folks there are real happy with Walmart saving them money, making their money stretch further with those low prices, AND they can now shop those little specialty shops too, which didn't used to exist there, and Walmart saves them enough to have a bit to spend in the local shops.

I'm going to continue to deal in pre-owned and original that mega businesses won't carry.  Original art, pre-owned collectibles, antique and primitives, mid-century decor and kitchen pieces, etc.  So, will see how it hold up.  So far.. so good.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

I don't know a lot of the organic market, however I do see that it is far more difficult to find the mom and pop's in the listings here on ebay than it is on Etsy. If I wanted something specific in organic and wanted to support small sellers, I would probably be shopping on Etsy moreso than Ebay. I would probably not use a search engine searching the entire www. 

I will continue as I have always done, which is to offer collectibles, the rarer the better of course. Most of the things I sell no other ebay seller has the item. Otherwise, when that is not the case, I must compete with the race to the basement. That is why I prefer to hunt for items no other seller has for sale. Today I found some once again. A little more research is involved, but it is so much more fun and interesting that way, and far less boring than selling that same pattern of whatnots over and over and over again. 

As for internet home delivery, husband is a dedicated prime shopper. Boxes on my front porch every single day. What Amazon does not carry, google shopping probably does. As soon as he can get vegetables delivered to the front porch his home based shopping will be complete. 

Me, I like to go out and hunt and gather, and do so on the internet only when I can't find it in person. 

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I don't know a lot of the organic market, however I do see that it is far more difficult to find the mom and pop's in the listings here on ebay than it is on Etsy. If I wanted something specific in organic and wanted to support small sellers, I would probably be shopping on Etsy moreso than Ebay. I would probably not use a search engine searching the entire www. 

I will continue as I have always done, which is to offer collectibles, the rarer the better of course. Most of the things I sell no other ebay seller has the item. Otherwise, when that is not the case, I must compete with the race to the basement. That is why I prefer to hunt for items no other seller has for sale. Today I found some once again. A little more research is involved, but it is so much more fun and interesting that way, and far less boring than selling that same pattern of whatnots over and over and over again. 

Hi Ersatz,

In the early years we did very well with antiques both here and local festivals etc until the out of staters from New York/Eastern Pa & Maryland found out about the treasure trove of antiques sitting in them thar these parts of hidden S.E. Ohio. and West Virgina.

Prices went through the roof and beautiful highend antique quilts for instance that we could get for $100 were now fetching $400 and worn out rags were still bringing in $150 or more.

The auctions here were hit hard until about 3 or 4 years ago and now most of what is around is more like memorbilia from the 60's and 70's. Many of the Antique malls closed.

We were able to do well for awhile but that era is pretty much gone.

We also were on the list for one of the banks and a realtor for cleaning out estate properties but now the heirs think they have a gold mine and the realtors are cleaning up their own as well. Seems those Storage War shows helped people think there was gold hidden in them thar mattresses.

Mr C

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

I've been saying for years the pilfering of America through ebay is almost complete.....

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

To a certain extent I see that attempt to hold competition down and limit the business they might get right here in our grocery stores.  Very close to attempts to undermine and put out of business, truthfully.  HyVee will price match any other grocery store on same-item ads appearing in the week's advertising addition.  So, if you go to Hy-Vee, you can get what they are advertising on sale, AND you can pick up what the other stores were advertising without having to make a trip to shop at them.  HyVee may not have made much profit on the items they price-matched, BUT... they kept their competitor from making ANY money from your purchasing.  They kept you from stepping FOOT in the competitor's store.  Other than the sales though, HyVee is by far the most expensive grocery store to shop in this entire area!

We have HyVee's here, and Super WM, Super Target, and Aldi's.  They all seem to have their niche markets, and all seem to flourish in their own right.  Aldi=generic & super cheap, WM=next cheapest, SuperTarget=fufu-ish, and HyVee=very fufu-ish & unique offerings, also most expensive.  HyVee's have a plethora of organic, gulten free, etc, very fancy bakeries & deli, and a full restaurant in ours.  Ours also offers home delivery, good niche they've found!  If you order more than $100, they'll deliver for free, bring it in your kitchen & unload (I don't think they put it away though).  They have a whole online site for ordering/home delivery.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Hi Michelle,

FAST FAST Home Delivery and FREE.

Seems only the ones with deep pockets will win this.

Then what?

Mr C

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

I'm a small seller...not even mid-size.  But I see the hand writing on the wall.  Amazon and Walmart are going to bascially take over all brick and morter and online.  BUT...I have had niches in the past that worked well on ebay.  And after I get rid of my current slower selling stock, I'm going back to those.  I won't be on ebay full time anymore.  But when if I hit a motherload of items that I know Amazon and Walmart can't compete with me on...I'm going for it. 

Message 15 of 45
latest reply