cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for scamming us. GTC will KILL eBay.

I have been selling on eBay since 1998.  It was enough to change all my listings once USPS raised their rates.   Now eBay no longer has 30 day listings.  Just Good Til Cancelled.   It should be MY CHOICE what I decide to list in a 30 day period.   If I sell Christmas Ornaments the buying season ends in December.   I should be able to let these listings go dormant/hibernate for a few months.  I should not have eBay decide to keep listing these when I may have more seasonal products that will sell more efficiently.  There is no one buying X-Mas Ornaments in August.  Another good example.  If someone lists Baseball swag they may not want the listings automatically relisting during the Offseason.  Get it eBay.   I also have a account with eBay that allows me 250 Fixed Price Listings.  I try to not go over that amount.  If I want to deviate a bit I should not be forced to BURN MY FREE LISTINGS ON WHAT EBAY DECIDES I USE THEM ON!   THIS IS THE USA, I THOUGHT.  FREEDOM OF CHOICE.  I WANT TO CHOOSE WHAT I AM CURRENTLY SELLING.  IT SHOULD NOT BE EBAY'S DECISION TO JUST MANUALLY RELIST SOMETHING.    Also funny how they will collect their fees on listings THEY CHOOSE TO RELIST.

THERE IS PROBABLY A BUNCH OF OLD FOGIES WITH CIGARS IN A SMOKE FILLED ROOM TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO BUY THERE WAY INTO THERE NEXT MASSAGE PARLOR SESSION.

Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: Thanks for scamming us. GTC will KILL eBay.

You don't have to keep the listings up until they sell, you can cancel the listings any time you want.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 86
latest reply

This is not about me cancelling anything.  In the past when a Listing ended eBay would archive it on your Unsold listings page for 90 days.  The unsold page was useful because it was MY CHOICE of when I wanted to relist it in a 90 day period.   Now eBay just automatically wants to relist it when it ends.  Hard to cancel when they AUTOMATICALLY relist it for you.   I should not have to pay a listing fee If I am not home to cancel the listing just before it ends and the Fat Cats at eBay decide the listing should go back up.      

Message 3 of 86
latest reply

I agree "Good till cancelled" does not work for most sellers. At least give the sellers the options to list what works best for that particular seller not all sellers are equal. Bring back the 1-10 Day options eBay!
Message 4 of 86
latest reply

@punkparrots wrote:

I should not have to pay a listing fee If I am not home to cancel the listing just before it ends and the Fat Cats at eBay decide the listing should go back up.      

I've been using GTC for years and I've never paid a listing fee when they relist.

I never use all my listings, I always make sure I have a few left if I need them for relisting.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 86
latest reply

As a new seller (just over a year) I have encountered many issue where EBay uses its power to make itself money and to ignore what a seller needs to compete and now GTC and lowering the amount of listings just does not work for me. I am now changing to no more auctions just to lower my numbers for sale and hope EBay comes back to their original ways of helping sellers to sell.
Message 6 of 86
latest reply

This GTC will probably cause me to close up shop. I have been selling on eBay since 2003 and EVERYONE knows that the most views on items are in the first 24 hours and the last 24 hours that it is listed. This means with the mandatory 30 day good til cancelled listings an item is hardly viewed at all for 28 days of the listing. I, myself, frequently use the 'newly listed' or 'ending soonest' format when looking for something. eBay has done a lot of things over the years that have caused small problems for sellers but this one takes the cake. I will give it a couple of months to see if it kills my sales like I think it will but will likely have to find another venue for my sales. Not that eBay cares about a little seller like myself. 

Message 7 of 86
latest reply

Be extra careful folks. I was gone last month. Came back and sold a few things. Today, I am getting ready to vacation and took down listings and wanted to pay my eBay bill. So I had a fee for upgrade listing. On closer look I found that when an item was changed to GTC, I had a subtitle. I don’t list with subtitles. This is a $1.50 upgrade to a $3 item I was trying to sell. I wasn’t worried so much about things renewing because I list 10-15 items. ***check your listings***. I may have inadvertently put a subtitle in. I believe it was a case that I just used ebays search. (Should have prompted me that I was be charged extra???). But if I didn’t check my invoice closely, this could have been costly after a few months.

I sell so little, and I do it for fun. This put me over the edge. I won’t say that I won’t sell, but I have found a place that is more fun. Less middleman. If ebay reads anything. Please go back to your roots.
Message 8 of 86
latest reply

Message 9 of 86
latest reply

I called Ebay customer service and asked to log my complaint regarding the forced "Good Till Cancelled". I would hope others will do the same.

Message 10 of 86
latest reply

Nice post my friend . I agree with you 100 % .  What is wrong with these people. overcharge for everything then try to deceive you to get more . The ceo of ebay makes 17 - 20 million a year  guess thats not enough !  best wishes & good luck .

Message 11 of 86
latest reply

What about the contract we have with ebay when we sign up for a store. Is it legal to change a  agreement without  the approval of both parties  When I signed up for my ebay store  I had the choice  on the length of my listings  . Is there any lawyers out there  for comments 

Message 12 of 86
latest reply

Isn't amazing that we get useless emails from ebay all the time, but when something as big as GTC I get nothing!

Once again  they are trying to nickel and dime us out of business!

What I sell and how long I list it should be my choice, not the man in the suit! 

Message 13 of 86
latest reply

Good point..... This was addressed in another link.

Because you agreed to let them change it without notice:

"eBay reserves the right, with or without notice, to substitute, replace, or remove Stores features and functionality. "

Message 14 of 86
latest reply

Everyone views this as a desperate money grab by Ebay.  They know people don't have the time to monitor postings that will be ending every night and cancel the ones they don't want renewed.  They're hoping hit sellers who has used all of their free postings with posting fees when the GTC postings are relisted.  It's like the guy who buys a gym membership and stops going after a couple weeks but keeps paying month after month for something they don't want. It's a same principle and a sad way to conduct business. When was the last change Ebay announced that actually helped sellers?  It's always about additional fees and restrictions. Why doesn't Ebay focus on helping seller actually sell more so way everybody wins. Ebay doesn't seem to value it's sellers and definitely doesn't want to listen to their concerns.  This posting will be hidden too if it gets to much attention. 

Message 15 of 86
latest reply