cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks Ebay - Two Ghost Listings In A Single Day

So today I got two separate orders each containing books I sold months ago.

I only sell books and one of the ghost listings was in a category that I haven't used in at least 6 months.

Ebay usual excuse of "You accidentally relisted it" does not apply as none of the books in that particular category were relisted.  I created brand new listings for all of them.  But there it was with a picture and everything.  

Unfortunately this was a new customer to me  and they only purchased the one book.  I immediately refunded them and offered any other book in my store for free, so hope that goes all right.  They haven't responded yet.

The second was with a repeat buyer who bought several and just laughed it off as it had happened to her as well.

I've been on Ebay since 1998 and I find this issue one of the most insidious, as it's almost impossible to find until you sell something and it can lose you a customer who will never come back if they think you're a bad seller.  And Ebay seems to refuse to believe it's their issue and do something about it. 

Anyone having this issue among the million other issues that are happening? 

Had my first lost package this week, somewhere in Chicago was its' last scan.  I've probably had less than 5 lost packages in my time and I ship Media, so that one doesn't upset me.

Stay safe, everyone.  Don't take any unnecessary chances.

(This is my posting ID)

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Thanks Ebay - Two Ghost Listings In A Single Day

Yes, it's happened to me about 20 mayne 25 times starting 2 weeks ago. Ebay changed most of my inventory numbers that were 0 to some positive number. Lost alot of money even RECEIVED A NEGATIVE FB TODAY because some customer thinks I have what they want in my inventory when I actually don't!
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Ebay does not care! They will not remove the FB even though it's clearly their fault and will not refund the $50 or so that I lost in non- refundable Paypal fees!
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

After spending an hour looking for the item that had sold - I checked my inventory records.   It had sold several months ago.   I have never sold items with a quantity of more than one, and I don't use GTC - eveything is ended manually - so I have no idea how this item got re-listed.  I'm spending the afternoon going through all my active listings to make sure there aren't any more ghosts.  

The sad thing is that this was a 0 feedback buyer - so her first ebay experience is not going to be a good one.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

This has been happening FOR YEARS. It's happened to me a few times, only I was able to end the listings before they were actually purchased. (I check them all quite frequently)

Ebay knows. Ebay has done nothing. Ebay does not care.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@kp-unlimited wrote:
Yes, it's happened to me about 20 mayne 25 times starting 2 weeks ago. Ebay changed most of my inventory numbers that were 0 to some positive number. Lost alot of money even RECEIVED A NEGATIVE FB TODAY because some customer thinks I have what they want in my inventory when I actually don't!

This one sounds like a Multivariation listings glitch that happened a few weeks ago, where ebay suddenly changed OOS listings to ridiculous qty available numbers.

If so, call and demand they remove the defect for their coding errors.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I thought it had been happening longer than that.  😮

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

These ghost listings are infuriating  -  I had one for a mouse I had sold three weeks previously, and up it came again and sold.  I couldn't have relisted it because it was SOLD, it was not in my store, either so I couldn't do an inventory to make sure everything in my store was, in fact, in my stock.  It had reindexed on the site itself and sold once again. 

eBay will admit that this happens, but if you call about it, will deny any responsibility.  I understand that to a point as it's a he said/she said type thing, and I also understand how the reindexing might happen as some kind of DB update event, but they NEED TO FIX IT.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yes, as a book seller as well i have had the same issues.  i get one about every couple of months. they seem to happen mostly when i am a top rated seller. i have lost my top rated status several times to ghost listings. funny how that happens...... Makes you wonder.  15+ years on ebay. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Crazy isn’t it? It’s happened to me probably seven times already. I am baffled.I don’t not know what to do and eBay dropped me from top seller. Also of course they haven’t answered their phones since April.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I am also a victim. I don’t think going through your listings will help. I have no idea what in the world is going on with them

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Me too my friend. They dropped  me a top seller. The corruption is just off the hook.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply