cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes in Sold items at the end of the year

HI,

Just curious as to if the government is going tax all sales over $600 or will it be safe this year?

Thanks

dacoop1

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Taxes in Sold items at the end of the year

"I do  believe if you dont own a business and use Ebay as a way to sell your items you are not  required by law for the sale."

Well, you are sadly mistaken.

"I don't have a tax id, it use to be sale of up to 200 items or 20,000 required reporting until the new tax law went into effect. " 

Again, you are sadly mistaken. All those years you have been evading taxes was NOT "tax free" money. You have ALWAYS been required to report your income whether you received a 1099 or not.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

You do have a tax id number. For individual taxpayers, your tax ID is your social security number and that is what ebay will use to report your gross proceeds based on whatever the tax law is for reporting.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

All income is to be taxed, unless you make a total of less than (I believe) $400 from any source.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

"By “safe this year”   I am referring to Ebays old limits before a tax consequence  ( 200 items or $20,000."

So many misconceptions. 

The limits or standards for the issuance of a Form 1099-K -- $20,000 minimum with/in a minimum of 200 transactions --

are not eBay's limits, in the sense that eBay did not set those limits.  
Those limits or standards are set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  

eBay is just one of thousands and thousands of "payers" who are required to prepare and issue 1099-Ks to their "payees" who meet those minimum limits.

The American Rescue Plan of 2021 (ARP) was written to include issuance of 1099-Ks once the minimum transaction dollar amount reached $600.00, with no minimum number of transactions required, starting with tax year 2022.

HOWEVER:  For tax year 2022, the IRS came out with final rules for issuance of Forms 1099-K on or around December 23, 2022, reverting to the previous limits of $20,000 in 200 transactions.  That was only eight (8) days before the end of the year, which I imagine sent lots of programmers into small freak-outs to make sure their systems were set to filter the correct dollar amount and number of transactions onto their 1099-K Forms.  

For tax year 2023, the IRS issued a very similar set of final rules late in November of 2023.  As a result, eBay and other payers were still required to prepare 1099-Ks for 2023 for their payees who received payments of minimum $20,000 in a minimum of 200 transactions. 

That November 2023 announcement, if I recall correctly, included a projection that, for 2024, the minimum dollar amount for a 1099-K would be set at $5,000 (still more than $600.00).  However, since the IRS wasn't able to publish a final decision on minimums for 1099-K reporting for 2022 and 2023 until December and November of those years, respectively, I for one would not be surprised to see another late-in-the-year announcement from the IRS that finalizes the dollar minimum for 2024.  

Still addressing the OP, dacoop1, as many other people have posted, these limits only affect the point at which you get a Form 1099-K from eBay.  

What YOU (and all US taxpayers) are expected to report on your 1040 tax return form is all of your income . . . .
income being defined as money coming in to you, your bank accounts, your coin purse, your wallet, etc.  
Envision a Form 1040.  On the first page there are many lines where the taxpayer is expected to list all their income.  

When you are a US taxpayer completing your 1040 Tax Return form . . . .
YOU are supposed to write your income from your eBay sales on one of those "Income" lines  . . . .  
    Even If You Do Not Receive A Form 1099-K From eBay. 

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

All income is taxable unless it is offset by business deductions on Schedule C or the Standard Deduction on the 1040. The $400.00 number refers to the threshold whereby you also have to pay Self-employment tax of around 15% on your profits.  This is like you paying the employee share of Social Security tax and the employer share both. If you have a profit of $399.00, you don't pay this additional tax. If your profit is $400.00 or above, you do. 

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Narc. Lol. 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

So many misconceptions. Then you add in all the other caveats. 

The limits or standards for the issuance of a Form 1099-K -- $20,000 minimum with/in a minimum of 200 transactions --

are not eBay's limits, in the sense that eBay did not set those limits.  
Those limits or standards are set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  

eBay is just one of thousands and thousands of "payers" who are required to prepare and issue 1099-Ks to their "payees" who meet those minimum limits.

Those limits can only be set by the Federal Government through formal legislation. The IRS may have input but it cannot itself set the limit. Those limits can also be set by State governments through formal legislation, which has happened in a number of states, some well before the Federal legislation was passed. 

The American Rescue Plan of 2021 (ARP) was written to include issuance of 1099-Ks once the minimum transaction dollar amount reached $600.00, with no minimum number of transactions required, starting with tax year 2022.

HOWEVER:  For tax year 2022, the IRS came out with final rules for issuance of Forms 1099-K on or around December 23, 2022, reverting to the previous limits of $20,000 in 200 transactions.  That was only eight (8) days before the end of the year, which I imagine sent lots of programmers into small freak-outs to make sure their systems were set to filter the correct dollar amount and number of transactions onto their 1099-K Forms.  

For tax year 2023, the IRS issued a very similar set of final rules late in November of 2023.  As a result, eBay and other payers were still required to prepare 1099-Ks for 2023 for their payees who received payments of minimum $20,000 in a minimum of 200 transactions. 

A lot of sellers, despite the delay in 2022 and 2023 still received 1099-K's even though they were well below the Federal level. Do not be surprised if additional states begin to pass their own legislation setting 1099-K issuance limits. I would think California would be high on that potential list given the budget deficit problems they are facing. 

That November 2023 announcement, if I recall correctly, included a projection that, for 2024, the minimum dollar amount for a 1099-K would be set at $5,000 (still more than $600.00).  However, since the IRS wasn't able to publish a final decision on minimums for 1099-K reporting for 2022 and 2023 until December and November of those years, respectively, I for one would not be surprised to see another late-in-the-year announcement from the IRS that finalizes the dollar minimum for 2024.  

Added to the already complex issues with regards to this mess remember we are also in an election year and things could change considerably depending on who is elected president and which party controls the House and Senate after the election. 

Personally it makes little difference to me what the Fed does I am in Virginia and I don't see them changing the current 1099-K issuance threshold it is simply generating too much additional income tax revenue. 

Still addressing the OP, dacoop1, as many other people have posted, these limits only affect the point at which you get a Form 1099-K from eBay.  

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@dacoop1 wrote:

I do  believe if you dont own a business and use Ebay as a way to sell your items you are not  required by law for the sale. I dont have a tax id, it use to be sale of up to 200 items or 20,000 required reporting until the new tax law went into effect.  But that  got put on hold.  How many  times is an item allowed to be taxed?  Then you got if you can prove you sold it for a loss theres no tax to report.  Too much red tape. 

Wrong, that is when the payment processor has to report your income, no you.

You're supposed to be reporting any extra income on your taxes, no matter what the amount is.

I don't own a business and I've been reporting all my income for years and it's never been a problem.

Have a great day
Message 23 of 23
latest reply