cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THANK YOU EBAY------ ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEW SELLER PROTECTIONS- OH YEAH SCAMMERS ARE SCREAMING :)

Finally after all days of good and pain, eBay has taken some step to protect good sellers from Oct 1st , OH YEAH Now i will be feeling screaming of scammers 🙂

LOVE EBAY 🙂 

Message 1 of 121
latest reply
120 REPLIES 120

Re: THANK YOU EBAY------ ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEW SELLER PROTECTIONS- OH YEAH SCAMMERS ARE SCREAMING :)

Blah Blah Blah......Way to little ,Way to late.....Smart educated sellers don't risk quality items here anymore. Come on eBay you been killing the seller since 2008 , Everyone is tired of your "Rules with no views",  With all cost and risk taken by us. Simply not worth it.

Message 46 of 121
latest reply

Re: THANK YOU EBAY------ ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEW SELLER PROTECTIONS- OH YEAH SCAMMERS ARE SCREAMING :)

@papermoneyforme wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@jocli76 wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

Thanks for the reply, again, how will they determine the criteria for what you describe as falsely return case. Not challenging you, I do thank you for the update. I find it frustrating and am unable to get excited about a policy such as this. Seems aloof without any teeth if their are not concrete method to assess each case. Until a see an explanation about the process, I will just assume business as usual that customer is king.

Hi @collectfest, all a Top Rated seller will need to do is offer 30 day returns, accept the return, and issue a refund (or partial refund) to qualify for the protections. We go off of Top Rated sellers track record, we do not need proof. I suggest that you read the FAQ here for more details. 

I read the FAQ link provided, very helpful would encourage others to read.

Take care

How is it a protection when the seller has to give a refund to the false claimant in order to get the protection?

Does ebay then do an investigation and give the refund back to the seller if later? Let the buyer keep the refund? All I see is that ebay will give up to $6 shipping refund.

Hi @jocli76, in addition to the $6 shipping credit offered when a buyer falsely says an item isn't as described, we will also be removing negative feedback, defects, and Seller Metric cases. Sellers also have the option of only refunding up to 50% of the item cost instead of a full refund if the item is returned in an altered condition. Partial refunds are currently only available to sellers who offer free returns. When these new protections go live, Top Rated sellers who offer 30 day returns (they do not have to be free returns) will also be able to offer partial refunds based on the condition of the returned item. Sellers that are not Top Rated or that do not offer free returns will not have these added protections. 

How exactly will it be determined if it is a "falsely stated item is not described"?

Based on the Spring update, we were given all the Sellers Protections that sounded good, until we called in and were told it only applies if the buyer is determined an "Abusive Buyer". And if we report them as an abusive buyer, we will not retroactively have any metrics or feedback removed.

Is this going to be the same?

Hi @zamo-zuan, this is covered in the link I've provided in this thread. All a seller needs to do is report the buyer while issuing a refund through the returns flow. A credit will then be provided on the sellers next invoice. 
Seller Protections.JPG

The only time Seller Protection is an actual protection is if Ebay will cover all the sellers scam returns.

Partial still means scammer gets to keep 1/2 and seller still loses 1/2.

If it is the greatest thing since slice bread, why does Ebay not do this

Greetings,

How am I losing half if I get my item back? Not an argument just asking. 

Message 47 of 121
latest reply

Would someone please post the twerp that David Weneg sent, to side-by-side with these 2 reworded seller protections, to compare promise vs product?

Message 48 of 121
latest reply

@uniwarehousewares wrote:
you made good point about " box of rocks" that is the situation where 50% deduction will not work, but what is coming will give some hope to sellers in term of removal of negative feedback, defects, and strict action against bad buyers and also some protection for seller metrics.
Regarding paypal, as you mention Adyen, which i hope will also coming by next year.
Atleast something is better then nothing and good part is eBay finally realize is better to hold sellers since i join this board every day i read one thread where some seller leaving this plat form due ot lack of protections.
Hope for best and for coming in future 🙂

I strongly disagree.  In the box of rocks scenario, the scam buyer may only get a 50% refund but will also still have the item.  Kind of like a forced clearance sale, no?  If I sell something for $1,000.00 then the buyer files SNAD and returns an old phone book, I may be able to refund the scammer $500.00 but I'm basically paying $500 for an old phone book.  My $1,000 item is never coming back to me so I can't resell it.  I may or may not be able to mitigate my damages for that particular item.  And certainly won't be able to operate my business on a 50% off margin.  Heck, if I could I'd have already put it on sale myself.  If the worst scammers will get EVERYTHING for half off, then sign me up. 

If you can't beat 'em...

Joe

Message 49 of 121
latest reply

I'm glad to see eBay taking a step in the right direction.  Unfortunately, this still doesn't address the issue of a buyer who deliberately broke an item in order to make a false claim so the seller has to pay shipping and provide a full refund.  When the buyer falsely claims that the item arrived damaged, the seller is stuck, and has to provide a full refund for an item that the buyer deliberately broke so they could return it as SNAD.

Message 50 of 121
latest reply

@uniwarehousewares wrote:

Do not worry, next year Hope so Adyen is coming, scammers must be controlled, finally eBay is taking some steps, i hope so it would be more better with passage of time, at least some good news for sellers.

Ayden will HELP scammers. As someone else said, if the buyer links the right accounts, they can try four times to get a full refund. Don't kid yourself, eBay isn't looking out for you, they are giving you lip service, and you're paying for it. 

Message 51 of 121
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

Thanks for the reply, again, how will they determine the criteria for what you describe as falsely return case. Not challenging you, I do thank you for the update. I find it frustrating and am unable to get excited about a policy such as this. Seems aloof without any teeth if their are not concrete method to assess each case. Until a see an explanation about the process, I will just assume business as usual that customer is king.

Hi @collectfest, all a Top Rated seller will need to do is offer 30 day returns, accept the return, and issue a refund (or partial refund) to qualify for the protections. We go off of Top Rated sellers track record, we do not need proof. I suggest that you read the FAQ here for more details. 

Thank you for providing that answer . I've always believed if a seller has a good track record  then that should account  towards their integrity  when they receive false  Snads . Tulips

Message 52 of 121
latest reply

@mypostingid15 wrote:

Do you want me to believe that ebay will not believe the buyer and will believe me?  Unbelievable!

How is your track record ? Tulips 

Message 53 of 121
latest reply

Example: you sell xbox and controllers for $200. Buyer opens return and sends you back a busted xbox and no controllers. First you must be top rated to even be able to try to keep 1/2. But you also must prove to overseas cs that you didnt get back the same item. Seriously this is ebay. Do you think there is any chance that a decision in your favor wont be instantly overturned when the professional well trained scammer calls the same cs to argue?
Message 54 of 121
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@jocli76 wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

I read the FAQ link provided, very helpful would encourage others to read.

Take care

How is it a protection when the seller has to give a refund to the false claimant in order to get the protection?

Does ebay then do an investigation and give the refund back to the seller if later? Let the buyer keep the refund? All I see is that ebay will give up to $6 shipping refund.

Hi @jocli76, in addition to the $6 shipping credit offered when a buyer falsely says an item isn't as described, we will also be removing negative feedback, defects, and Seller Metric cases. Sellers also have the option of only refunding up to 50% of the item cost instead of a full refund if the item is returned in an altered condition. Partial refunds are currently only available to sellers who offer free returns. When these new protections go live, Top Rated sellers who offer 30 day returns (they do not have to be free returns) will also be able to offer partial refunds based on the condition of the returned item. Sellers that are not Top Rated or that do not offer free returns will not have these added protections. 

Does this mean that humans will be in control of this now, and not the bots?

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 55 of 121
latest reply

@collectfest wrote:

Greetings,

A understand your concern but this is how I see it.

I will get my item back, I my case I sell antique or vintage items. I am confident in the quality of my items. So, if they return the item,  I am more concerned  about  my metrics and reputation as well as not taking a loss on my shipping fees. I can resell my item.  Also, I may be able to benefit by the 50% restocking fee. I just wont sell items that cost more than $6 to ship. Do I think ebay should refund all the shipping if higher than $6, yes,  but that's not their decision so I will adjust my behavior accordingly.

If you are stating the buyer keeps the item and the payment, that would not be acceptable but I do not believe that to be the case. 

I believe no refund would be given until I receive the item back in the same condition as I sent it.

I get your concern. If this policy is actually enforced, a big if I know, I feel we are on a little better track than before without this step forward. My hope is they will revisit the issue down the road and just make us whole.

Believe me I am not an ebay protector, just look at my other comments I have left. I have given up my store a few months ago and I've been on ebay a long time.

If this policy is true, its the first step towards me CONSIDERING returning to sell on ebay. They next issue will be the mess of search and giving other sellers preference. That an issue for another day.

All I know is it seems like some progress, if its just lip service, well we will know soon enough.

Good luck to you and you goals

I can only hope this means no more snatching of funds from a seller's account automatically just because a bad buyer wants to keep the item and all the money too? Can it be possible that a buyer has to notify the seller and have a few days to work out an agreement, or they don't get their way during a tantrum? And if that agreement involves seller stating buyer is to send item back; that like in the days of yore, a seller will have time to receive item, examine the item, and THEN refund the appropriate amount? No more waking up to find the money missing from our accounts? Leaving eBay to acknowledge the situation through a report made by the seller (keeping tabs of the buyer's bad behavior), correct all damage done including metrics, defects and feedback along with fees and shipping, both ways? 

I am understanding correctly?  Or am I dreaming again? 

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 56 of 121
latest reply

This is great Brian. But I have a question. We now are in the managed payments with Ebay. Can the buyer like they did on PP start a payment processor case with their credit card etc, if you only refund  the say 50 percent of the purchase. Can they file another case with the payment processing end of the deal to get the rest of their money back. Important for sellers to know. Thanks.

Message 57 of 121
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

This is great Brian. But I have a question. We now are in the managed payments with Ebay. Can the buyer like they did on PP start a payment processor case with their credit card etc, if you only refund  the say 50 percent of the purchase. Can they file another case with the payment processing end of the deal to get the rest of their money back. Important for sellers to know. Thanks.

I think they can. Ebay cannot over-rule or invalidate a buyer's protection policy through their means of payment. That protection is between the buyer and the payment processor. Ebay has nothing to do with it. 

Basically ebay is not really involved here in the money fight, it just appears as if they are, appears as if they are granting us this terrific 50% protection. Truth though is that ebay is just kicking the can down the road, kicking the dispute down the road, and the buyer or scammer will take whatever methods they can to retrieve all their money. Ebay ends up with less work to do as the buyer must now go to their payment processor for protection and fight the money battle on that end. With this 50% policy no questions asked? Has ebay taken themselves out of the argument with no work to do on their end? I think so. If a buyer calls ebay in the future under this policy they will more than likely be told by CS to take it up with their payment processor.  ebay has successfully taken themselves out of the mediation business and kicked the can down the road for monetary arguments, and made it appear as if they are giving something to us sellers! Every once in awhile a scammer is not going to know the next step to try to get 100% of their money back. Not a very bright individual, or, a rather bright individual who is happy with the 50% "clearance price" they just forced on the seller. Otherwise you can bet angry buyers that feel they were stolen from during the return process, and scammers, both, are going to take it to the next level. 

Message 58 of 121
latest reply

I think one thing people are ignoring is that Ebay may refund the other 50% themselves......until/if there are too many claims and they find the buyer to be a scammer.....and then they kick them off.  With that, there would be no way that a buyer could go to a cc chargeback. There have been sellers on PS board that have done the 50% under the present program and no reports, that I know of, of cc involvement later. 

That said, the cc chargeback is still a possibility, as a first step,  either thru paypal now or Managed Payments in the future.....

Someone asked how to prove something so the 50% is approved.......  Nothing has to be proven by a seller.....you pay for the return (get the $6 shipping credit) , determine  there was damage, you refund 50% or less.........that's it......  No proof involved.    (assuming seller meets the requirements to use the 50% program). 

That's the layout I see now......what the actual work out is, we will have to wait and see.......will sellers be "allowed" a certain number/ dollar amount before they get into trouble?  Nothing so far to indicate that.  Ebay IS on the hook for the $6 shipping allowance, at a minimum,  so they now have "skin in the game"......  cleaning up the scammers is going to be to their best interest.........  If scammers are smart, they will aim at non TRS sellers and hope to stay off the radar..........and sellers have an incentive to strive for TRS again.......

Probably NOT perfect, but certainly more than we had before........

Message 59 of 121
latest reply

Its a pittance. And only if they actually do it. Remember we are suppose to already have seller protection against abusive buyers. Its just invisible and completely not in effect. Ebay saying it happens annualy. So far no doing.
Message 60 of 121
latest reply