cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TAKE SOME PRIDE IN WHAT YOU DO!!

I just wanted to share some thoughts for small and casual sellers: TAKE SOME PRIDE IN WHAT YOU DO! Look, I understand that proper packing materials are expensive. The costs can be burdensome at times. But seriously, before you ship off an item you sold, ask yourself if you'd like to open the package filled wish all of your TRASH that you used in place of bubble wrap or other forms of void fill. Just this week alone, I've received packages full of grocery sacks, empty boxes, shredded paper (loose), and disposable styrofoam plates and trays (yep, the ones sold for food)!

When I first started on here, I couldn't afford to buy new packing material, but I also could not fathom putting my name on anything like that. I looked for local ads for people giving away boxes and bubble wrap and it wasn't hard to get. I would literally tape pieces of bubble wrap together. I saved all the boxes I received from things I purchased online, every one of my family and friends got a call from me asking them to save it all and I'd come pick it up. Now that my business has grown, I can buy new packing materials in bulk.

Once a week I take all the old bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and boxes and list them for free on craigslist. They are almost always claimed in a matter of minutes. If you really think that buyers don't care about the packaging as long as they get their item, you are wrong. Imagine paying someone your hard earned money for an item, and having to get your vacuum out after opening it because it was shipped using shredded paper! With everything in business, it's the little things that set you apart from competition that have the biggest impact on your success, SO DO THEM! 

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Re: TAKE SOME PRIDE IN WHAT YOU DO!!

I am the polar opposite of what you are describing. I am so picky about packaging and packages it's ridiculous. My items not only have to be securely packed, but my packages must look "pretty" both inside and out.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 6.11.28 PM.png

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 16 of 104
latest reply

Last year I bought a small item, and it arrived in a very large box.

When I opened the box I couldn't believe what I was looking at.

I've never seen so much trash used to pack an item.

Old unwashed towels, old unwashed clothes,  old newspaper, cereal boxes, loads of crushed up super noodle packets, a filthy face flannel, and some crumbly old foam. The item wasn't even fragile, and didn't need any extra packaging.

The sellers return address was on the box, so I kept the item, and returned the trash. I've never heard a word from the seller since. I also complained to ebay.

I've noticed some other sellers are also using trash to pack items, and it's got worse since our refuse collection changed from weekly to fortnightly. 

If I had received that box full of trash, and it was my first ebay transaction, I wouldn't have used ebay ever again..

Sellers who have no pride in their work whatsoever, shouldn't be selling at all..They should all get the boot.

Message 17 of 104
latest reply

I guess my sensibilities peg pretty low when it comes to being upset about unusual packing materials.  One of my favorites is the cardboard multiple drink holders from restaurants.  I use all I can get my hands on.   I use a mix of old and new and have for years. 

I've not once been disappointed in what my fellow ebay sellers have used to safely get me the items I've purchased, but I have been disappointed in the likes of Amazon and others--often a box too big with a couple air pillows and my item bouncing all around.  

Message 18 of 104
latest reply

Sellers who do a poor job of shipping/use junk to pack shipments, deserve the negative feedback they get. They deserve the cases opened against them too. 

I realize a new seller may not have hundreds of dollars to spend on shipping materials, but proper materials are available locally for free, just ASK. Many businesses would be DELIGHTED to give you packing materials as opposed to PAYING to dispose of them or even the idea of REUSING them rather than filling a landfill. 

Making a mess for your buyer is a really stupid idea. Some people might not mind cockroaches running around the place they live. Likewise some people may not be bothered by receiving trash to pack their items. But most people think that is wrong and uncalled for, on BOTH accounts. It looks horrible and in many cases, the trash used is not providing much protection at all. 

The same people who support using trash, are the same people that are constantly having issues. You get back, what you put into this business. Treat it like trash, you get trash back.  

Message 19 of 104
latest reply

@outdatedrecreated wrote:

It sure beats <snip> stryrofoam plates.

I sell glass and china.  I use styrofoam plates (new, bought for that purpose) ... what is the problem with foam plates?

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 20 of 104
latest reply

I think most sellers with above-average intelligence already know that they should be using sensible packing materials. 

But as my mother always reminds me, "half the people in the world have below average intelligence". 

Message 21 of 104
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

I sell glass and china.  I use styrofoam plates (new, bought for that purpose) ... what is the problem with foam plates?

I think it was the spaghetti...

Message 22 of 104
latest reply

What's wrong with foam sheets? It has a far better cushioning rating then junky foam plates. How about thick bubble wrap? If you think foam plates provide the same or better protection then bubble wrap or foam, you are mistaken. If you think the presentation of foam plates is the same as proper shipping materials, you again, are mistaken. 

While there are times when we need to get "inventive" to ship stuff,  Foam plates, shredded newspaper, and trash for packing materials, never enters the equation. I don't care if you have been doing it for a long time. It looks trashy and it is a very poor way to ship. 

Everyone here agrees we need more users of the platform. Everyone wants more sales. Yet sellers who perpetuate using trash to ship with, make eBay and it's sellers look like inbreeds. The presentation looks like trash. No care is given about the buyers item. Why should they return and buy more trash here?

I can't believe this continues to be a DEBATE. Your presentation is not just selling YOU and your store, it's selling the platform of eBay as a whole. There is a reason why Amazon forces all sellers to use a NEW box, and not just JUNK to send out orders.  In the future, I hope eBay implements a policy similar to Amazon's.  It will force the clowns off the platform. Being even a little professional, never hurt anyone.

Message 23 of 104
latest reply

As a buyer I expect  CLEAN  materials no excuse for trash but many items can be used in place of expensive shipping materials

I  respect sellers who recycle clean reusable materials and take care packaging that will effectively protect   my item from damage

I would not appreciate  receiving stained dirty items that belongs in your  trash can that is unacceptable and distasteful in my opinion

Message 24 of 104
latest reply

I have no problem with recycled materials - bring 'em on! BUT they need to be CLEAN and appropriate for the job. 

Recycled boxes are great as long as they're still sturdy and reasonably clean on the outside. Recycled bubble wrap is great, just make sure it's not dirty and/or dusty.  Save those packing peanuts and reuse them! One thing I always do with packing peanuts is to use grocery bags to contain them and stuff them around the item instead of having them loose in the box. It saves the buyer the hassle of dealing with peanuts going all over. Egg cartons (as long as they are clean) are lightweight, very sturdy and make good fill and support for larger items.  Same for those fiberboard drink carriers that fast food places use, although they are heavy and add weight.

I've received large format booklets shipped in a used pizza box complete with cheese and sauce residue. The booklets weren't even bagged, just thrown in the box along with the sauce and cheese.  I received a box of books with mouse poop in the box.  I've received items wrapped in bubble wrap that was dusty and had what looked like footprints on it. Definitely not clean!

Flimsy food and personal item boxes aren't meant to ship anything, breakable or not.  It looks incredibly tacky and makes me think that you don't give a rat's behind about the item that a buyer (me) just paid good money for.  So what if the item gets to me safely - that's beside the point. Act like you CARE about the item you're selling and the buyer that is receiving said item.  I don't want to do business with someone who doesn't care about what they're selling or the people that are buying. THINK about the person who is going to open that package.  There's no need for frou-frou (bows, ribbons, tissue, cards, candy), just a good, solid, CLEAN package that is appropriate for the rough handling it is going to encounter in the mail stream.

One of a seller's main goals should be attracting and keeping GOOD buyers, and using dirty or inappropriate packaging materials is a huge turnoff. A good buyer won't necessarily leave a neg, or send a message - they just won't buy from you again. Bad buyers don't care, because they're going to screw you regardless.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 25 of 104
latest reply

As a small seller I reuse all  packing material.  As long as the material whatever it might  is clean it is used.  I feel the same way when I get reused material from other seller.  Super markets on Mondays are good sources for clean boxes. They gladly give them away.  Yes there are company names on these but as long as they are clean who cares. I have yet to receive any dirty packing material and would never send out anything I find unacceptable.  Small sellers are not major corporations and I think we should be less critical of those who sell here.  Many may not be able to afford all new packing material.  

Message 26 of 104
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

What's wrong with foam sheets? It has a far better cushioning rating then junky foam plates. How about thick bubble wrap? If you think foam plates provide the same or better protection then bubble wrap or foam, you are mistaken. If you think the presentation of foam plates is the same as proper shipping materials, you again, are mistaken. 

While there are times when we need to get "inventive" to ship stuff,  Foam plates, shredded newspaper, and trash for packing materials, never enters the equation. I don't care if you have been doing it for a long time. It looks trashy and it is a very poor way to ship. 

Everyone here agrees we need more users of the platform. Everyone wants more sales. Yet sellers who perpetuate using trash to ship with, make eBay and it's sellers look like inbreeds. The presentation looks like trash. No care is given about the buyers item. Why should they return and buy more trash here?

I can't believe this continues to be a DEBATE. Your presentation is not just selling YOU and your store, it's selling the platform of eBay as a whole. There is a reason why Amazon forces all sellers to use a NEW box, and not just JUNK to send out orders.  In the future, I hope eBay implements a policy similar to Amazon's.  It will force the clowns off the platform. Being even a little professional, never hurt anyone.

Wow, that's a bit much even for this board.  "Inbreeds"  --- seriously.  I see no difference in buying foam sheets than buying foam plates---other than the shape.  Your insults are your opinion only and I resent you thinking it speaks for others because it sure doesn't speak for me.  

No one advocates for using "dirty" anything, but recycling or using a more cost effective item is to be admired and that's my opinion.

Being less rude never hurt anyone either.

Message 27 of 104
latest reply

Recycled does not mean dirty, trash or unacceptable packaging.  It means a smart use of  previously used materials.  I myself use, when creating a box that I do not have the right size for or shipping other than Priority Flat Rate, clean used boxes.  I do not see a problem with reusing items that would otherwise go directly into our landfills.  Many people still do not use their recycling bins enough.

No argument about dirty or "trash" used for packaging, that is just plain wrong.  I do believe that all sellers here on eBay can be leading the way in the need to RECYCLE REUSE REDUCE and help our plant.  

I do not agree with the idea that recycling is disrespectful or a disservice to any other seller here or on any platform.  Let alone can lead to eBays downfall.  But as I have said a few times before, "opinions are like a**h***s, we all have one."  Yep.

With hope for our planets future, and the future of all our businesses,

Grandma

Message 28 of 104
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

I think it was the spaghetti...

Just to be clear --- I was joking here.  I certainly think using stryrofoam plates is perfectly fine.   I'm a bit annoyed at the judgemental attitude here today.

Message 29 of 104
latest reply

...with eBay intends to offer FREE SHIPPING, many sellers face competition...not everyone could add the cost of shipping and handling into selling prices, so cutting corner in shipping materials is somewhat necessary...

...spare the criticism...

Message 30 of 104
latest reply