cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious return request on item I didn't sell to the buyer

Hi all,

I've been selling on eBay for a while, but this is my first experience with something that appears to be fraudulent, and I'm unsure my next steps. I got positive feedback from a buyer, who then initiated a return which was automatically approved by eBay. I had sold them 2 packs of sticky packed 4x5 photo paper. I took clear photos of the item, used the barcode/UPC in the listing, etc. I have never carried this photo paper before other than these 2 packs. The buyer is also an eBay seller with 99% feedback with over 5000 feedbacks, and sells items on their store front that are not related to this photo paper.

The return was approved automatically because they stated I sent the wrong photo paper - and they included a photo of one pack of paper that was not sticky backed, and had different artwork on the box than what I had and shipped to them [I shipped this last week and know that I shipped the right product, as I don't have any other photo paper for sale].

So now they have until Apr 1 to return the non sticky back paper to me, but that's not at all what I sent them. I'm unsure what my next step is, assuming they do return what was in the photo they attached to the return request [also, it was just one pack of paper and my listing was for 2 packs]. I'm not one to put my 100% feedback into jeopardy, but I also know that I shipped them what I listed. Having not dealt with this potential return fraud, I'm unsure what my options are. I also realize the buyer could have bought photo paper from multiple sellers and got things mixed up, as their seller shop feedback is quite good and doesn't "feel" scammy to me at all. But it is weird they left me positive feedback right before the automatic return came in today. 

Advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like the buyer made a mistake and bought the paper from someone else.  You need to contact the buyer and explain what may have happened.   This shouldn't be a big problem.   Sounds like a buyers error.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Wait and see what you get returned.

A seller's main protection is offering Free Returns or being a Top Rated Seller and just accepting returns.  These sellers can do a 50% refund on items returned damaged or getting back some other than what you sent, etc.

But, if you do anything less than a full refund, you don't get your Final Value Fees refunded by eBay. 

Posting ID
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sounds like the buyer made a mistake and bought the paper from someone else.  You need to contact the buyer and explain what may have happened.   This shouldn't be a big problem.   Sounds like a buyers error.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I had a similar thing happen too. I just waited for the return, which never happened. I think the buyer just initiated the return on the wrong item, realized their mistake, and never followed through with the return. Ebay closed the return eventually. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you, all, for your quick and informative replies! I went ahead and e.mailed the buyer to confirm that they really did mean to send a return request to me. Judging by their account age, feedback score, and storefront, I really, really don't get "scammer" vibes but it did open me up to realizing how easy it can be to scam a seller 😞 

I do offer free returns on some items, including the photo paper. Most of my inventory is books & media, which I've set to have buyer-paid returns for.

Thank you again for your advice! Much appreciated! 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Yeah, it might have been a buyer mistake in this case.

I had one like that once.  When I started selling hard drives, the first one I sold I reached out to the buyer to see if the packaging was good, how it went, etc.  Just trying to get feedback on their experience, (not feedback on the sale).

Their reply was essentially that the drive they got didn't have Windows pre-loaded, not the one they ordered and they needed to return it.

I was a bit taken aback at first.  I told them that of course I can do that, but lets make sure you have the right seller.  I said that, because they called me a different name as if they knew who they were talking to and I only sell bare drives.

Turned out, mine was packed excellent, was exactly what they expected and worked fine.  They had mixed me up with another seller.  lol

Hopefully, that's the case here.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I am hopeful that is what it turns out to be. I definitely had to take some time to word the e.mail well, as pointing out to someone that they probably made a mistake, can come off as quite arrogant! Hopefully with them being a seller too, they will be understanding of the mistake [I've made mistakes too - I think we all have!]. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I heard back from the buyer and it was an accidental return request. They were able to cancel the return request and all is well. Thanks so much for all your help!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@whitesquirrelbooks wrote:

I heard back from the buyer and it was an accidental return request. They were able to cancel the return request and all is well. Thanks so much for all your help!

I love happy endings. 😉

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 9
latest reply