cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly my post office is refusing acceptance scans

I have a copy of the memo back in March 2016 from Kelly Sigmon, USPS VP Retail & Customer Service that states All eBay prepaid parcels MUST receive an acceptance scan.

Today I presented 4 packages (which is a large amount for me...) and was refused a scan.  First the clerk cited a brand new memo from Washington DC, then I called the branch when I got home and spoke with the supervisor who said they are no longer required to do scans but if I wanted any done then I had to come in at 8 am...   So I really think there is no 'new memo' about the scans and that the post office is not following procedure.

In addition, the supervisor said that no packages, even those left on the counter, would be scanned locally and that the first scan wouldn't be until the main post office (in this case Cleveland).

Before I take this to any next steps, I am curious if anyone else has a post office that has suddenly refused to do scans, citing new procedures....  I suspect there aren't any new procedures but still checking 😉

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Suddenly my post office is refusing acceptance scans

This is all quite interesting considering on the rare occasion I drop off packages at my local USPS they insist on scanning! Even when I've said it wasn't necessary, they told me their manager requires it. Which is smart, since with the automatic insurance it's pretty easy for someone to just claim they mailed something when they didn't and file a bogus claim, if a branch isn't scanning packages in. I usually do carrier pickup and always hear the beeps of the scan gun going off on my front porch! Thankfully I have nice USPS ppl, almost afraid to consider moving just because of this.

I've encountered some very helpful USPS employees from across the Country too. Phoned a branch today that was happy to help me out with finding a package and even gave me the phone # and name of who to talk to at their carrier workstation location, that person was also extremely nice and helpful! I've phoned numerous branches to ask for package assistance (I always bypass the 800 #, as it's a waste of time) and received great results. I likely wouldn't phone them during the super busy holidays. I guess some of them actually like their jobs!

Message 31 of 58
latest reply

u r lucky...

most employees i deal with at any location i go to, are just rude.

i never say anything to them for i am just concerned what could happened later (to my packages).

just moved to another city (same state).

haven't sold much since.

but i would just drop off packages in these blue metal boxes...

then someone comes and empty them several time in the day...

in ABQ they had a drop off box in the wall, and packages would fall down in the back room.

i felt comfortable with that.

not here...

but today i saw people where dropping packages on the counter.

asked the lady behind the counter about it...

she was just rude.

snapped the bubble mailers out of my hands...

since i haven't gotten a scan.

i usually don't worry but she had such a nasty attitude that i am worried.

i might as well drop the next ones, in the blue metal box...

i am already thinking that 3 of my packages are gone for ever....

i will find out soon enough...

it's only about $40....

just had a friend in florida having issues as well.

something she bought got misdelivered (north instead of south; same street & #)...

all she got from the toll free #; the item was delivered.

all she got from the postmaster (and she knows her); the package was delivered...

she had already decided she wasn't going to bother the seller.

she was going to just let it be... she is a seller as well so she understands...

the package came the next day...

the other person returned it...

i guess there are a few honest people left in this world...

and it was indeed a misdelivered item.

the address was right (on the package).

don't get me wrong...

the usps does a great job...

until there is a problem.

thank God it is NOT often.

the less i interact with them, the better i am...

Message 32 of 58
latest reply

Try on a 10 minute wait for someone who can't decide which one is just the special stamp.

As far a scanning - never a problem all the ladies and gents a both post offices always scan and hand a receipt.

@lindiloo21 wrote:

Never any problems getting scans at my post ofice. In fact, after they have spent 5 minutes with the person choosing a stamp, I think they are rather glad to have such a simple transaction.

Message 33 of 58
latest reply

@lindiloo21 wrote:

Never any problems getting scans at my post ofice. In fact, after they have spent 5 minutes with the person choosing a stamp, I think they are rather glad to have such a simple transaction.

Yes that is what I would have thought too - I always smile, say please & thank you, this was not one of the usual clerks that started things off...

Message 34 of 58
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

Oh well, at least I got the items scanned and I realize that this postmaster does care enough about the rules to enforce them completely not only on me but on her own people.  

Glad it worked out!  I tried explaining to the supervisor here about how important it is to me/a seller to get that acceptance scan, don't know if she doesn't care or still doesn't understand the importance...sigh

Message 35 of 58
latest reply

@double2trouble wrote:

My local post office is a nightmare. I stopped trying to get scans from those people a while ago. They shortened their hours, and don't even open till 10. Even with a scan sheet it's always 20 to 40 minuted in line. Line is always out the friggin door. I have been selling one item a day on ebay lately. I pack and drop off every day, but I'm not putting in an extra 3 hours a week waiting in that **bleep** line in hopes of getting a scan. I just went to 2 day handling, problem solved. I am still doing 2 week returns, so the discount is a moot point anyways. ebay can have the measly discount, it just ain't worth the stress. I still ship everything same or next day, and offer 2 week returns on quality uncommon things. If that is not good enough, so be it.

@Good for you not jumping through hoops anymore, certainly not worth the stress you have to go through.  I don't sell regularly enough to schedule pick-ups but perhaps you do?  I qualify for TRS for most items, that little discount goes toward my low level store fee, but do find myself sometimes questioning whether it is worth it.  Sounds like you are a good seller @double2trouble , keep it up 🙂

Message 36 of 58
latest reply

@sharonlpk wrote:

@double2trouble wrote:

My local post office is a nightmare. I stopped trying to get scans from those people a while ago. They shortened their hours, and don't even open till 10. Even with a scan sheet it's always 20 to 40 minuted in line. Line is always out the friggin door. I have been selling one item a day on ebay lately. I pack and drop off every day, but I'm not putting in an extra 3 hours a week waiting in that **bleep** line in hopes of getting a scan. I just went to 2 day handling, problem solved. I am still doing 2 week returns, so the discount is a moot point anyways. ebay can have the measly discount, it just ain't worth the stress. I still ship everything same or next day, and offer 2 week returns on quality uncommon things. If that is not good enough, so be it.

Good for you not jumping through hoops anymore, certainly not worth the stress you have to go through.  I don't sell regularly enough to schedule pick-ups but perhaps you do@?  I qualify for TRS for most items, that little discount goes toward my low level store fee, but do find myself sometimes questioning whether it is worth it.  Sounds like you are a good seller @double2trouble , keep it up 🙂

You do NOT need to be a regular seller to use the schedule a pickup option on USPS.com.  If you are going to have a shipment going out tomorrow all you need to do is 

1 - Create an account if you do not already have one (its free)

2 - Log in and schedule a pickup for tomorrow before 2 am Central Time the night before (also free as long as you schedule it with your regular mail carrier pickup, if not its $20 extra).

Its as easy as that.  

For those that do have a lot of sales, you can schedule a pickup everyday that the post office is open for at least a year ahead of time (have never tried to go further out) and if something happens and you do not have a sale just cancel the pickup before 2 am Central time the night before.  I have been doing this for since they had the gaffe in the scheduled pickup form and erroneously eliminated FCM as a qualifying item and it has been working fine.  You just need to make sure to cancel if you do not have a pickup as I am sure some of the mail carriers as well as postmasters would get irritated if you constantly had a pickup scheduled but had nothing for pickup.

Hope this helps out somewhat.

David

Twnpopcards

Message 37 of 58
latest reply

I schedule pick ups without even going into my account...I can never remember the password because the only time I have to log in is to order supplies.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 38 of 58
latest reply

Umm it does take less time and definitely doesn't add an extra layer.  Having been behind people who have several packages that they are doing postage at the post office where it has to be weighed,class of mail chosen, pay, etc takes way more time then just scanning the same amount of packages in 

I understand that it takes slightly less time to scan a handful of prepaid labels than to start from scratch for each parcel.  On the other hand, it takes a total of 10 seconds to scan the SCAN form(s) for hundreds of parcels.  Scanning individual parcels that don't need to be scanned is by definition an extra layer.

Postal workers have to deal with dozens of irritated customers when the line gets backed up because some doofus wants 142 prepaid packages individually scanned.  I don't blame them one bit for trying to speed up everybody else's service by denying the sender who stubbornly refuses to use the required SCAN form.

Message 39 of 58
latest reply

I had an issue with pickup yesterday, the difference is that our post office never, under any circumstances answers the phone. I kid you not, I tried calling for 2 hours, letting the phone ring several hundred times.

When this happened previously they at least sent someone after I called the 1-800 number, but not yesterday. That time I was told that even though the PO closes at 5, they have until 5.30 to pick up.

The icing on the cake yesterday was when I did drive to PO, the desk clerk was really rude and behaved like she was not even a USPS employee. I was the only customer so it is not like they were so busy either.

Message 40 of 58
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@sharonlpk wrote:

@double2trouble wrote:

Good for you not jumping through hoops anymore, certainly not worth the stress you have to go through.  I don't sell regularly enough to schedule pick-ups but perhaps you do@?  I qualify for TRS for most items, that little discount goes toward my low level store fee, but do find myself sometimes questioning whether it is worth it.  Sounds like you are a good seller @double2trouble , keep it up 🙂

You do NOT need to be a regular seller to use the schedule a pickup option on USPS.com.  If you are going to have a shipment going out tomorrow all you need to do is 

1 - Create an account if you do not already have one (its free)

2 - Log in and schedule a pickup for tomorrow before 2 am Central Time the night before (also free as long as you schedule it with your regular mail carrier pickup, if not its $20 extra).

Its as easy as that.  

For those that do have a lot of sales, you can schedule a pickup everyday that the post office is open for at least a year ahead of time (have never tried to go further out) and if something happens and you do not have a sale just cancel the pickup before 2 am Central time the night before.  I have been doing this for since they had the gaffe in the scheduled pickup form and erroneously eliminated FCM as a qualifying item and it has been working fine.  You just need to make sure to cancel if you do not have a pickup as I am sure some of the mail carriers as well as postmasters would get irritated if you constantly had a pickup scheduled but had nothing for pickup.

Hope this helps out somewhat.

David

Twnpopcards

@Thanks David @twinpopcards, I will look into this at some point. Right now my sales are sporadic and 1-day handling, sometimes I don't know I have to get something out until I get up in the morning and then also have to get ready for my outside job (husband takes packages to P.O. on those days 🙂  )   To make sure I understand, do they always -- or perhaps more significantly, are they required -- to do an acceptance scan at pick-up?  This works for Priority and First Class but they will also scan parcel if there are Priority and/or FC items in same pick-up, correct?

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

@sharonlpk wrote:

@Thanks David @twinpopcards, I will look into this at some point. Right now my sales are sporadic and 1-day handling, sometimes I don't know I have to get something out until I get up in the morning and then also have to get ready for my outside job (husband takes packages to P.O. on those days 🙂  )   To make sure I understand, do they always -- or perhaps more significantly, are they required -- to do an acceptance scan at pick-up?  This works for Priority and First Class but they will also scan parcel if there are Priority and/or FC items in same pick-up, correct?

They are required to scan the SCAN sheet if there is one.

When I know that my regular wonderful carrier will be off, I add a note to the pickup request: "SCAN form PS 5630 will be on top of the packages. Please scan "Picked Up" 😉

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 42 of 58
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:
"SCAN form PS 5630 will be on top of the packages. Please scan "Picked Up" 😉

"...and not 'DELIVERED' by mistake."

There, fixed it for you. Smiley Wink

Message 43 of 58
latest reply

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

Next time you go to your PO, ask the Postmaster why they don't want credited for the packages they accept. That's one way how USPS determines how much money each PO gets each year--by the package volume ACCEPTED at that particular branch.

Are they rolling in so much dough that they don't need funding? Do they realize that another PO will be getting credit for  THEIR packages?

I'm fortunate to have 3 post offices really close by.   I was in the habit of dropping them at the smallest (and least busy) one.   One day I was (politely) scolded by the clerk for not changing the 'Ship From Zip' to theirs, rather than my home address.    She explained that they get credit based on the ZIP.
I was more than happy to comply since they've always offered excellent service.
Most times, I just leave packages for my carrier now.   If there's more than a few, I'll print a SCAN form but 99% of the time, they'll happily scan them.

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

We have a wonderful carrier, and also bought an oversized mailbox.  Packages are always scanned right then and there.  We rarely go to the local PO, though the workers there have gotten a lot better.  Local PO is a 36 mile round trip so it's great to just put the outgoing in the box and not worry.

Message 45 of 58
latest reply