cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly my post office is refusing acceptance scans

I have a copy of the memo back in March 2016 from Kelly Sigmon, USPS VP Retail & Customer Service that states All eBay prepaid parcels MUST receive an acceptance scan.

Today I presented 4 packages (which is a large amount for me...) and was refused a scan.  First the clerk cited a brand new memo from Washington DC, then I called the branch when I got home and spoke with the supervisor who said they are no longer required to do scans but if I wanted any done then I had to come in at 8 am...   So I really think there is no 'new memo' about the scans and that the post office is not following procedure.

In addition, the supervisor said that no packages, even those left on the counter, would be scanned locally and that the first scan wouldn't be until the main post office (in this case Cleveland).

Before I take this to any next steps, I am curious if anyone else has a post office that has suddenly refused to do scans, citing new procedures....  I suspect there aren't any new procedures but still checking 😉

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Suddenly my post office is refusing acceptance scans

We have curbside, grouped boxes across the street and down a bit.

I wish we had a private mailbox on our house.  It would make things so much easier then having to always go to the Post Office.

Message 46 of 58
latest reply

FYI, for those interested, they now have handheld scanners that the "expediting clerks" (red vest helpers) can use to scan, and most importantly, provide an acceptance receipt.  It's hit and miss, based on post office, and based on who's on duty, but my local post office has them.

Message 47 of 58
latest reply

rapple1066 wrote:

One day I was (politely) scolded by the clerk for not changing the 'Ship From Zip' to theirs, rather than my home address.    She explained that they get credit based on the ZIP. 

...except that they don't. They get credit based on their scan data, proof that they were the ones to receive the package and ship it out, regardless of what it said on the label.

The "Ship from ZIP" value is for the correct calculation of zone-based postage costs, in case you're shipping the package from a different zone other than the one identified by your return address, but unless you were seriously out of town, such as in the next state over, it's not likely that a post office "really close by" is going to be in a different zone than your home address. Your clerk gets "credit" as soon as they scan the label.

Message 48 of 58
latest reply

My post office has told me that they do not scan unless I specifically request

Message 49 of 58
latest reply

@a_c_green

@a_c_green wrote:

@rapple1066 wrote:

One day I was (politely) scolded by the clerk for not changing the 'Ship From Zip' to theirs, rather than my home address.    She explained that they get credit based on the ZIP. 

...except that they don't. They get credit based on their scan data, proof that they were the ones to receive the package and ship it out, regardless of what it said on the label.

The "Ship from ZIP" value is for the correct calculation of zone-based postage costs, in case you're shipping the package from a different zone other than the one identified by your return address, but unless you were seriously out of town, such as in the next state over, it's not likely that a post office "really close by" is going to be in a different zone than your home address. Your clerk gets "credit" as soon as they scan the label.

Yes it happens, In my little college town we have the main, and a branch on the other side of town they have different zips.

I am less than a mile from the main PO and my zip is different.

Message 50 of 58
latest reply

@nurse4ever14

@nickydana18 wrote:

My post office has told me that they do not scan unless I specifically request

That is just lazy,  I don't even have to say a word, just hand them my package, and they scan it.

I have a great PO.

Message 51 of 58
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

Yes it happens, In my little college town we have the main, and a branch on the other side of town they have different zips.

I am less than a mile from the main PO and my zip is different.

Sorry, no, I didn't mean ZIP codes, but area-wide zones, within which a zone-based calculation will come out the same regardless of the exact ZIP code used as the point of origin. I think the rule of thumb (and I would welcome clarification from anyone who knows this stuff better) is that if the first three digits of the ZIP codes are the same (return address ZIP compared with Ship From ZIP), then there's no possibility of a zone-based discrepancy.

Message 52 of 58
latest reply

That's correct: The Zone designations (and hence the postage rates for zoned services) are based on just the first 3 digits of a ZIP Code.  That's why you can generate your own handy one-page Zone chart here:

https://postcalc.usps.com/Zonecharts/

Message 53 of 58
latest reply

I am a USPS clerk. Your packages are supposed to be scanned! ALL OF THEM!!! There is no excuse or exceptions...busy or not, your packages are supposed to be scanned. Regardless of whether or not that particular office gets credit, the scan serves as a confirmation to you as well as the receiver that your package has been accepted by that post office. We can definitely scan the manifest sheet in lieu of scanning each individual package. As the manifest scan sheet is very helpful and convenient for the clerks & carriers, but it is not a requirement!
Message 54 of 58
latest reply

@ltboggan

This thread is literally one year old.  Apparently the poster's issue has been resolved.

Message 55 of 58
latest reply

I am going to tell you how to fix this.

1. Read this article.  http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/letters/blog.pl?/pl/2014/4/1396456422.html

2. Get the names of everyone you talked to

3. Google the author of the article

Roy Betts
U.S. Postal Service
Corporate Communications

for his email address. Send all the information and a description of the problem. Be polite and factual.

It wouldn't hurt to do whatever else is recommended but you paid for a service and that service includes an acceptance scan.  

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 56 of 58
latest reply

@ltboggan wrote:
I am a USPS clerk. Your packages are supposed to be scanned! ALL OF THEM!!! There is no excuse or exceptions...busy or not, your packages are supposed to be scanned. Regardless of whether or not that particular office gets credit, the scan serves as a confirmation to you as well as the receiver that your package has been accepted by that post office. We can definitely scan the manifest sheet in lieu of scanning each individual package. As the manifest scan sheet is very helpful and convenient for the clerks & carriers, but it is not a requirement!

@ltboggan Bravo, 10 thumbs up for you. Now between me and you, isn't this really about the clerks union not getting the across the counter business?

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 57 of 58
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 58 of 58
latest reply