cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stronger Browser Security Standards (HTTPS)

Starting today, you will see changes on eBay item description pages that contain non-compliant HTTP content. Google Chrome has pushed their browser update which includes stronger security standards. As a result, eBay will be adding a "see full item description" button to all listings that contain non-compliant HTTP content.

This new experience will look very similar to the way mobile buyers already see listing descriptions today. It also ensures that we comply with the Google mandate and prevents your buyers from seeing a “Not Secure” warning when they’re shopping on eBay

Please review our landing page for more information and tools to help you identify any of your listings that may contain non-compliant HTTP content. 

EDIT 11/8/17 @ 12:23 PT 

We are aware of an issue where the eBay HTTPS identification tool is showing listings that were revised to be HTTPS compliant after 10/31 as non-compliant. We are actively working on this issue and plan to have a quick fix for any new or revised listings. Any existing listings that have been updated to be HTTPS compliant but are still showing as non-compliant in the tool will continue to show as non-compliant until the listing is either revised or renewed. If you do not revise or relist, the issue will automatically correct after 30 days.

Please note that if your listings are compliant, they will show normally to buyers and have the “secure” message in the URL. You can confirm this experience by looking at the live listing. This issue is confined to our tool that identifies non-compliant listings, which is currently failing to update to show listings as compliant after you have updated your http content to be compliant.

We apologize for this issue and will update you here as soon as the issue is resolved.

Message 1 of 213
latest reply
212 REPLIES 212

Re: Stronger Browser Security Standards (HTTPS) - Its all **bleep**

Its strange that eBay claims that the See full item description button is only for those ads which do not comply with some such bullshirt policy and is necessitated by Google, but I use Google Chrome and from where I sit, this whole thing is pure bullshirt and unnecessary.  And by the way, my ads here are created ENTIRELY WITHIN EBAY'S LISTING EDITOR so I am not adding any non-standard HTML code whatsoever - and the fact that my ads display that annoying See full item description button is demonstration that eBay's own system doesn't comply with itself!

drkenb
Message 166 of 213
latest reply

Well, I stand corrected.  I went back to my listings and at first thought the problem was my listings have bulleted lists, so I manually created those bulleted lists within eBay's editor and still the problem persisted.  I then found that the old PayPal Verified seal is now "non-standard" HTML and THAT was causing my listings to be displayed as non-secure.  Resolution was simple enough - remove the seal and save the listing.  Thing is, when I read through all of eBay's provided information, it appeared to me that video, external links, etc., were the culprits and not something as (I thought) benign as a PayPal Verified seal.

Maybe its just me, but I am not a programmer, I am NOT familiar with HTML, and I needed more guidance that was provided by the geeks at eBay.

Some more time spent trying to figure out why something changed - time that I will not get back - when eBay could have provided more guidance.  The previous frustration was eBay changed page layout and the resolution was burried (and I mean burried) within some arcane system configuration page... another example of eBay not providing enough guidance.

Any wonder folks flock to other services?  eBay charges 10% of item sale price AND S&H (and through the wonders of compounding interest, this raises my customers's costs 13%) and this type of frustration is the result.  And from a buyer's perspective, if they have to click on a button to see the full description and then notice that it says "non-secure", it DOES scare off some customers who don't fully understand the nuances.  I have opted to run my webstore not on eBay but on another service, named after a colorful bird, which charges NO fees whatsoever and provides me and my customers a stable, safe environment to transact.

At one time, I sold exclusively through eBay.  Now, 95% of my sales come from my webstore operated on another site (which, by the way, charges NOTHING whatsoever).  Granted, I am not a Best Buy-sized or Dell-sized client of eBay's but still, I would have thought that once my business dropped off so steeply on eBay, I would have at least gotten an email asking why.  Nope.  From my perspective, eBay couldn't care less whether I do any business at all on their site.

drkenb
Message 167 of 213
latest reply

Is there a plugin that I can use to auto load these external pages into the frame anyway?  If not I'm going to have to make one.  As a buyer I will not be clicking two links to see one thing.   

Message 168 of 213
latest reply

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I remove all https from listing template and also it complys with all starndards of ebay(no active content) etc, will the "see full item description button" go away? I am having this issue at the moment.

please advise

Message 169 of 213
latest reply

I'm wondering if possibly there is a beta test going on for this at the same time.

They tested that last year, too.

Message 170 of 213
latest reply

LOL nah... they just find new ways to make everyone want to leave!!! Its incredible how they do that so often... they tested this **bleep** already, hiding descriptions making them useless... Ive personally lost about 50% of my sales since it affected my listings this month...

MAKE SURE TO FIND THE BUTTON TO VIEW MY FULL POSTING!!!! YOU KNOW HOW MUCH EBAY LOVES THAT KIND OF **bleep**!

HIDDEN DESCRIPTIONS REQUIRING A BUTTON TO BE PRESSED TO SEE TEMPLATES AND FULL DESCRIPTIONS... ITS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!! WHY REPEAT THE SAME MISTAKE EXPECTING A DIFFERENT OUTCOME? I BELEIVE EINSTEIN COVERED THIS FAD!

They should have learned from the last time they "tested" this... EBAY DOESNT LEARN TO BE BETTER... THEY LEARN TO BE WORSE AND SELF DESTRUCT! THANKS EBAY! GREAT JOB!!! 

Message 171 of 213
latest reply

I AT LEAST WANT THE OPTION TO CHOOSE WHETHER OR NOT I WANT EBAY TO AUTOMAGICALLY CREATE ME A SHORT DESCRIPTION FROM PULLING FRAGMENTS OF SENTENCES FROM MY FULL TEMPLATE OR NOT!!!! IT LOOKS LIKE **bleep**!

I WANT TO OPT OUT!

Message 172 of 213
latest reply

As a long time buyer, I really, really, really dislike what ebay is doing to how listings are being displayed.  Between the “see full description” button, which seems to be showing up more and more, even on seller’s listings that didn’t have it before, and removing contact the seller from the listing page, the buyer must now click a number of times more for the desired page.  Why?  The longer it takes to get to the info, the less listings that can be viewed.  Although some of those listing pages that have the “see full item description” do seem to a lot more eBay ads and listings for other items.  Is that part of why?  

Message 173 of 213
latest reply

Absolute **bleep**! eBay has been going down hill for quite some time. Every seller I know has experienced a loss in revenue over the last couple of years and with stupid tactics like this eBay is sure to lose sellers & buyers. I've moved a small portion of my business off this site in the last year and have regained a substantial amount of my income. If eBay doesn't get their stuff together I think this will be my last year here. GET IT TOGETHER EBAY!!! THIS IS A DEATH KNELL FOR YOU...listen...

Message 174 of 213
latest reply

@hywallart wrote:

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I remove all https from listing template and also it complys with all starndards of ebay(no active content) etc, will the "see full item description button" go away? I am having this issue at the moment.

please advise

eBay member shipscript has a free tool for scanning a seller's listings and what is wrong with them for the new eBay polices.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

I ran it on your listings and the majority has no issues with just a few listings having issues that you should be able to fix easily. No need to remove all your https.

The tool looks complicated but it is not. Take a few minutes to try and fix some of your listings. If you cannot, make a new topic in the forum dedicated for listing issues and ask shipscript for help.

Here is the forum for listings issues with eBay new policies.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Replacing-Active-Content/bd-p/activecontent

Anyone else in this topic having issues and wanting help, go that forum and start a new topic asking for help in using the tool mentioned above.

@shipscript

Message 175 of 213
latest reply

@questcollectible

The reason your description is one-click-away is because your linked stylesheets include images that do not use https. Even though the URL in the link itself uses https, the browser security measures extend to the content that the stylesheets bring into your description. Go through your stylesheets and convert all those protocols to https

However, once you finish that, eBay will not know that you have made any changes. So to force a new evaluation of your listings, you will need to update them with small revision to the description area.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 176 of 213
latest reply

@gto-clothing

The i-ways tool has found an empty link in your promo gallery.  It's not clear that an empty link violates the sandbox rules or eBay rules in any way, but you might want to remove the gallery links that you don't populate. 

<li><a href="" target="_blank"></a></li>

To me that looks like a false positive.  Perhaps @sandyoutlet could report it to i-ways for clarification.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 177 of 213
latest reply

@ladyxl2

@ladyxl2 wrote:

Some listings that have only text, mostly clothing or accessories, describing color or measurements, have had this “see full item description” button.  How does simple text qualify as “unsecure”? 

Can you offer an example listing?

In many cases, the "unsecure" elements can not be seen, but can still affect the page.   And some sellers have removed text or visible content but forgot to remove the underlying codes.  Those underlying codes might be benign, but eBay's filters can't tell the difference.

Message 178 of 213
latest reply

You are awesome! That was it. The http was hiding in the CSS file! Wow. I so missed it. No more button in the product listing. Now to edit the other 300+ files. Bulk edit time! I sincerely appreciate the assistance.

I wish you the best, and if you ever need anything in the realm of collectibles let us know. We would like to repay the kindness.
Message 179 of 213
latest reply

@sabershores*com

eBay pulls a short description summary to display as a preview to mobile shoppers and to display in other shopping and search venues like google and facebook. We are now seeing it used for a few months on desktop views while sellers work on securing the embedded content in their listings.

@sabershores.treasures wrote:

I AT LEAST WANT THE OPTION TO CHOOSE WHETHER OR NOT I WANT EBAY TO AUTOMAGICALLY CREATE ME A SHORT DESCRIPTION FROM PULLING FRAGMENTS OF SENTENCES FROM MY FULL TEMPLATE OR NOT!!!!

eBay provided that option to sellers more than a year ago (in their Spring 2016 announcement). They gave us "Mobile Summary tags" to be added to the description HTML.

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/customizeyoursummary.html

<div vocab="https://schema.org/" typeof="Product">
<span property="description">
... a plain paragraph of descriptive text goes here...
</span>
</div>

eBay can easily pull a description from short plain-text listings, but eBay's bots are not smart enough to find the right words in large or complex HTML templates like yours, so this solution was developed for sellers in that situation.

The plain text description enclosed within those tags will be displayed in your full description and will be extracted as your summary for the other pages and shopping venues where it is used.

For designer-types, the summary can be wrapped in outer tags that are styled.  While eBay does allow bullets within the summary, testing has shown that browser editing can clobber the codes, so the safest recommendation is to use one paragraph of text with no formatting tags.  Further testing has shown that if any disallowed HTML is included in the summary, eBay will fail to use the content, displaying a blank summary.

Message 180 of 213
latest reply