cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strangely high prices at the top of pages

Am I the only one who is seeing extraordinarily high prices at the top of each search page?  For example, I am looking for toothpaste.  At the top of the search page for Colgate, I am seeing 2 tubes for $210.  Are these very high prices some kind of a default setthttps://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/postpage/category-id/1123/choose-node/true#ing or have a changed a setting so that I am seeing things this way?  I don't see this being good for our businesses, if a newbie comes in to buy toothpaste and sees such an outrageous price, they will just click back to the river.  What gives?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Kneejerk reaction... is your Search filtered to 'Price + Shipping: highest first'?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Kneejerk reaction... is your Search filtered to 'Price + Shipping: highest first'?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Don't know its all about....I did search on Colgate Toothpaste and highest price was $1,000 (for one tube).   And the disgusting part...photo shows Colgate sitting in toilet bowl.    Another seller from India is $849 (for one can of Colgate powder).

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Some prices are just high for unknow reasons.

There are selections for the order someone wants to see their search results. 

If they select Price + Shipping: Highest First, then they are going see the high price items first and some of these may be way out of  reasonable price range.

stephenmorgan_0-1653252355996.png

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

Don't know its all about....I did search on Colgate Toothpaste and highest price was $1,000 (for one tube).   And the disgusting part...photo shows Colgate sitting in toilet bowl.    Another seller from India is $849 (for one can of Colgate powder).

Plah - that is disgusting.  Yech.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

I saw that one.

There is this one that is actually a good price if you have a use for 1000 tubes.

Maybe good to put in a Goodie Bag at a Dental Convention.

stephenmorgan_0-1653254181158.png

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I wonder if that's actually what they're going to receive...sounds fishy.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

When searching for an item, and ordering the search by the highest price first, the results, are often astonishing! I would expect a wide range of prices from high to low, but within a range that most people would consider normal.

I have often wondered.... Do these sellers asking thousands of dollars for an item which often sells for less than a  hundred, actually get what they are asking for?

I have heard a saying long time ago, "It's not how much it's worth, but how much someone is willing to pay". Perhaps the seller listing an item for what most people would consider outrageously high price, is only fishing for the prospective buyer who is willing to pay that much for the item, and that cost is not an important factor to the buyer.

I once asked someone how much a piece of furniture I was considering to sell through the local newspaper, and their answer was just that, it's not how much it's worth, it's how much they are willing to pay. If they offered a million dollars for it, and you only valued it say a couple hundred, would you turn them down their offer?

I will often look a the high's and low's of pricing for an item, to get an idea of the average price of an item. if a potential buyer is making a "Best offer", eBay will report an average of what the item is selling for. This is also true when a seller is placing a price on an item when creating a listing. These are just averages based on listing and sales. So an extremely higher price for an item of the same kind is listed, the averages computed can become distorted, and the average price may be higher than the norm. The seller could list the item again in another listing, with a price that is closer to the new average. And they need not worry about anyone purchasing that same item from a higher listing for a like-kind item. If someone does, that will only benefit the seller.

As for anyone willing to spend thousands of dollars for something that is ridiculously cheap, I am not one of them. But I have always wondered what fool would do so. Perhaps the seller of these high price listing is waiting for a fool to come along and pay their asking price.

My views and/or theories may be totally wrong, and I really don't know why the reason for extremely over-priced items on eBay exist. That is why searching for the answer, I found this topic of discussion being presented by others who are wondering too.

Looking at averages from high to low, helps see what the market will bear, that is accept in pricing. Maybe these "extremely high prices" at the top of the search results are being used to increase the averaging cost, for the same item.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Ancient thread from 2022 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@blueberrys_home wrote:

When searching for an item, and ordering the search by the highest price first, the results, are often astonishing! I would expect a wide range of prices from high to low, but within a range that most people would consider normal.

I have often wondered.... Do these sellers asking thousands of dollars for an item which often sells for less than a  hundred, actually get what they are asking for?

Two possible explanations: 

1. The sky-high price acts as a placeholder when the item is out of stock (though I don't know why the seller can't just activate the option that keeps the listing open but not visible if its Available count falls to zero), or
  2. the seller has set up the listing as a BuyItNow with Make Offer for a particular buyer, and is waiting for that buyer to offer the agreed price. At that point the seller accepts the offer and the sky-high price is abandoned.

As for Possibility #2, that's not an approach I take for those deals. I'll list the BuyItNow at its actual agreed price, because if my interested buyer ghosts me instead, someone else may still come along and take it. (I'll schedule the BuyItNow for an hour or so in the future and send my buyer the link in advance, so that he can grab it when it goes live.)

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply