cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waiting..

Actually, I've been selling on eBay for more than 20 years through two accounts. Over this time eBay has continued to take advantage, drip-drip.. The last-straw for us was the eBay PL Pay-to-Play scam, not a drip-drip, more like wave-wave.

eBay has lost (half) of it's market value this year, in turn, this platform is covering the core growth losses by going after sellers with said Pay-to-Play. All of this while selling expenses are already at their highest for sellers. 

The net return isn't worth all the trouble anymore. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can afford to walk away. Good luck fellow sellers.   

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

(Store Closing 2022) After 10+ Years Selling on eBay. I'll Cover the Termination Fee, Not Waiting..

I don't blame you given the enormous costs associated with selling on ebay today. Products that ship priority are increasingly becoming difficult, if not impossible to turn a profit on here given ebay's outrageous fees, coupled with ever rising shipping costs, and the fact the platform forces sellers to pay for any visibility.

There isn't enough sales volume to justify the costs anymore either. ebay's market share fell to just 3.5% as of June, it was 5% in January, and I'd imagine its going to continue to fall even lower as we reach the end of the year.

Despite having the largest inventory I've ever had here, I've been in the negative month after month this entire year.

ebay is losing to its competitors too. Platforms like Mercari are crushing ebay. Mercari is way more innovative, user friendly, has live chat features built in, doesn't hide ones listings, has better protections for sellers, and actually has adequate traffic to drive meaningful sales.

I give it 2 years before Mercari overtakes ebay entirely. ebay hasn't kept up with the innovations of competing platforms, and they're going to lose.

Other platforms simplified the process of selling, while ebay further complicated it.

What incentive is there to sell on a platform that forces you to offer 30 day returns, then punishes you when buyers lie about the reasons for their returns. ebay is now essentially a free rental service for buyers.

ebay's entire business model is shaped around how much money they can squeeze out of sellers while giving absolutely nothing in return.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 33 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Yea, EBay is struggling with the competition, and they are not fixing anything about it, they just copying exciting system like posh live and rebranding. Ebay has no creative thinking anymore.

Message 2 of 135
latest reply

But what do you do with all the stuff?

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb wrote:

The net return isn't worth all the trouble anymore. I'm one of the lucky ones, I can afford to walk away. Good luck fellow sellers.

Okay. Bye!

Message 4 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb   

If enough long-time successful Sellers leave and close their accounts "maybe" someone at Home Office will notice and figure they messed up royally and need to change things ... time will tell.

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 135
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

But what do you do with all the stuff?

Good question.. All planned out, I'd say 90% or so will be donated to Habitat for Humanity. The other 10% will be put on consignment locally. 

Message 6 of 135
latest reply

what is a termination fee?

Message 7 of 135
latest reply

The fee for cancelling a store. Its all **bleep** forcing u to pay a year worth of a store.

Message 8 of 135
latest reply

Dropping the store is good if such is not saving you money on your listings methods.

I did.

Message 9 of 135
latest reply

The fee you pay if you die without closing your store on eBay first.  (j/k!) 

But I'm sure there's a fee for that.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 135
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

what is a termination fee?

Not bad at all really. I caught it just in time when all of this PL Pay-to-Play started, I Quickly went from an Anchor down to Premium. My subscription is up in April, just a couple hundred dollars when I terminate in December.  

Message 11 of 135
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Dropping the store is good if such is not saving you money on your listings methods.

I did.

Correct.. We sold over 1.35 million in the last 4 years leading up to PL Pay-to-Play. The methods now belong to eBay and there shell-games. 

Message 12 of 135
latest reply

@fairdeal*lb wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

I did.

Correct.. We sold over 1.35 million in the last 4 years leading up to PL Pay-to-Play. The methods now belong to eBay and there shell-games. 

You may be correct. Though I still suspect major problems with in the system to do with the indexing and servers that the stuff is on. 

Of course the use of the item specifics is also an add on to the indexing system and may be causing some of the trouble as well.

The pay to play does seem for some to work.

Not worth it to me at this time of course.

Message 13 of 135
latest reply

Crazy question ... but have you ever thought about just not participating in promoted listings?  Many of us don't.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 14 of 135
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Crazy question ... but have you ever thought about just not participating in promoted listings?  Many of us don't.

Actually, it's a very good question.. When the better item with the better price (to the buyer) gets obstructed unless you Pay-to-Play the shell game. Not only is it a disservice to the seller but even more so to the buyer.    

Sellers effectively get shuffled out if they don't fall in line.

Message 15 of 135
latest reply