cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting 1/2022, after after 23 years as a Seller, must say Goodbye to eBay. Still a Buyer.

After having been retired for 11 years, the prices have outrun income. Ebay used to help make up for services such as dental, hearing and eye care, not covered by any of my policies, and my Son's funeral with no insurance.

Now, with the new filing requirements, "1 Transaction, $600.00 limits" it will just not be worth it.

Been a Good and Fun Run...., but alas, all things end. Just a bit peeved that it seems to always be the Little Guy who is asked to make up for the Big Guy's lack of paying their fair share.

Just MHO!   😉

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Starting 1/2022, after after 23 years as a Seller, must say Goodbye to eBay. Still a Buyer.

I am done also in 9 days.

Fun while it lasted,

My relative said I was part of the problem by not reporting profits.

I am retired with little income

He is a muti millionaire.....WHO GETS STIMULUS CHECKS!!

Message 61 of 81
latest reply

Re: Starting 1/2022, after after 23 years as a Seller, must say Goodbye to eBay. Still a Buyer.

@winomore wrote:

I am done also in 9 days.

Fun while it lasted,

My relative said I was part of the problem by not reporting profits.

I am retired with little income

He is a muti millionaire.....WHO GETS STIMULUS CHECKS!!

Your relative is correct.  By not reporting income you also committing income tax evasion.  That is the same crime that got Al Capone sent to prison.

With regard to your relative being a multi-millionaire receiving stimulus checks, what does that have to do with your behavior? 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 62 of 81
latest reply

I have reported my income the last 6 years, averaged paying $2700 a year before deductions to the IRS. 

My ignoance as a retired person selling things on Ebay for the first 15 years just never occurred to me.

Just filling in time for myself.

Message 63 of 81
latest reply

The 1099k is of no consequence to you unless the IRS decide to look back once they received the form and check your previous years sales. I think they can go back 5 - 7 years, but as you have always been doing the right thing and declaring your income you will be fine.

As to who post's here, anyone can, but most of us use a posting id as advised by eBay for security, so is this really the hill you want to die on ?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 64 of 81
latest reply

And here I thought that this was a community about selling, not one reserved for sellers only.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 65 of 81
latest reply

@annadryl wrote:

I think that's a reference to the tax-the-rich thing. Think billionaires who can take joyrides in space or a certain ex-guy who absolutely refuses to share his tax info.

Like the OP and many others, they had a loophole and took advantage. The REST of us covered for them.

Yes.  We sure did.  🤑

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 66 of 81
latest reply

@winomore wrote:

I have reported my income the last 6 years, averaged paying $2700 a year before deductions to the IRS. 

My ignoance as a retired person selling things on Ebay for the first 15 years just never occurred to me.

Just filling in time for myself.

If you've been reporting all of your income, why does your relative think that you're not? 

Frankly, the amount of tax you average means nothing if you haven't been including all of your income in the calculations.  

Message 67 of 81
latest reply

@oneblindcat wrote:

And here I thought that this was a community about selling, not one reserved for sellers only.

Where did you get the idea that it was reserved for sellers only?  Of course the topics are usually those that are of interest to sellers on this board.  However, both buying and selling are prohibited from being done on the boards.

Message 68 of 81
latest reply

From Foxhill99:

"Why do you think eBay is fighting it?? Plus it seems you are NOT a Seller, what are you doing on the Sellers Community? Bored with your life??"

There have been a couple of times that I have been told that I didn't belong here, because I don't sell on ebay.

My response was, "Wherever I am is where I belong."

One person even wanted ebay to ban non-sellers from this board.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 69 of 81
latest reply

A community member since 2008 and the concept of a posting ID was never apparent to you? Really? They are generally quite obvious. Just sayin...

Message 70 of 81
latest reply

I agree after 21 years I'm also saying goodbye. Uncle Sam wants to nickel and dime the little guys to death, why all of a sudden The IRS wants to implement this **bleep** 1099-k, to make up all of the trillions of dollars they **bleep** away in other countries?

Message 71 of 81
latest reply

I’m thinking of giving it up myself after 17 years.  Despite eBay’s Seller Protection policy, nothing has changed.  The buyer is always right & gets automatic approval for returns without any input from the seller.

Message 72 of 81
latest reply

Looks like your changed your mind.

Message 73 of 81
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Looks like you changed your mind.

Thats not unusual IMHO. An unhappy OP flounces out of here and slams the door... and then a month or two later they quietly return and pick up where they left off. Either they get over whatever their original grievance was or they try some other site(s) and find theres no one there.

In the case of those sellers who are determined to sell only $599.99 worth of stuff and then quit for the whole rest of the year I think they may eventually realize that when taking the usual deductions their actual tax increase ends up being not much of anything at all.

Message 74 of 81
latest reply

"In the case of those sellers who are determined to sell only $599.99 worth of stuff and then quit for the whole rest of the year I think they may eventually realize that when taking the usual deductions their actual tax increase ends up being not much of anything at all."

^^Exactly.  I use all of the deductions I can and have to report a few thousand dollars.  I have never owed money because of this.  Our other jobs take out enough taxes that we always end up getting a refund, even with this untaxed income.  No big deal. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 75 of 81
latest reply