cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone bought a cash only local pickup item but now wants me to ship and take paypal.

Someone bought a cash payment local pickup item.  They immediately sent an email asking how to pay with paypal and for us to arrange shipment instead.

If I cancel out of this, will there be issues?  The 10% ebay fees are $200 so I'd obviously like to not lose that.  I don't know what part of "local pickup only, no paypal - cash only, no shipping" is hard to understand.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Someone bought a cash only local pickup item but now wants me to ship and take paypal.

You can't deny the buyer if they want to pay with Paypal. (Just hope they can't figure it out lol)

This is a local pickup item, NO SHIPPING, and was correctly set as such so if they do figure out how to pay, you don't have to ship it. That said, the loss of Paypal fees from a cancellation would suck.

Were it me, I would cancel using the buyer address problem and let the chips fall where they may. (I'd probably block the buyer, too.)

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@binderzz wrote:

Someone bought a cash payment local pickup item. 

If I recall correctly, sellers are required to offer PayPal as a payment method and you are not allowed to "disclaim" away eBay requirements by putting conflicting information in your description.  

But you are not required to ship the item. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

If you cancel using "problems with the buyer's address" through eBay, Paypal refunds the fees. I've had to do it, and there was no problem. You may want to avoid listing high priced items. There are a lot of scammers out there.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I knew Snap-On stuff was expensive, but hoo-boy! ::startled smiley::

I would cancel on the basis of local pickup (leave the Paypal business out of it, as said above) - IMHO it's legit to cancel for problem with address, because there is, well, a problem with delivery, i.e., the buyer won't pick it up. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@acrc3113 wrote:

If you cancel using "problems with the buyer's address" through eBay, Paypal refunds the fees. I've had to do it, and there was no problem. You may want to avoid listing high priced items. There are a lot of scammers out there.

PayPal refunds no fees.

eBay will credit the seller the FVF's on a properly executed cancellation.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I agreed to ship it.

I think I'm about done with ebay.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Be careful !!!!!

If the listing was for local pick up only and now you ship it out and they pay you with pay pal I would be worried about an issue and or refund arising from a possible item not received.

When we do local pick up items we make copies of the buyers id (due to not being able to add a tracking number or proof of delivery/pick up).

might be best to cancel the order and relist it with shipping that way you can enter tracking.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I made a recent sale local pick up only cash ok where they paid by PayPal.

That has happened many times before with local pick up saying cash ok 👌 and then receiving money through PayPal.  That’s what buyers know best and it’s a wonderfully easy transaction.

He’s picking it up by truck Wednesday.

I am happy to make a sale.

Long Live EBay!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Don't do it.   When they try to return it, you will have to pay the shipping fees both ways.  Make them pick it up or no sale.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Shipping should not cost that much.

It looks like it'd fit in a large flatrate box.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

LOL.  The stuff shipped in two boxes and weighed 100-lbs.  It took most of the day to get it all packaged.  The UPS bill was @$200.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

Shipping should not cost that much.

It looks like it'd fit in a large flatrate box.

Lynn

That's a pretty heavy unit and I don't think fits into any flat rate box - if it's the sort of stuff I've drooled over.

Still - I've done local pickup with paypal and its been fine (one of my wonderful buyers even paid for my fees with a $10 bill!), and also gone ahead and shipped instead of local pickup, and it has also worked out.  We hear about the scams, which are real, but the number of smooth transactions vastly outweigh those.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I hope you sent them an invoice for the shipping.

But I agree with the other responder.  I would refuse to ship it.  If for any reason they file a not described claim, like if the tool box got bent or they claimed it was missing a socket you would have to refund in full causing you to lose the original shipping, and you'd have to pay $200 to get the tools back.  You could end up losing $400.  When shipping is expensive I would think twice before I agreed to ship it. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@acrc3113 wrote:

If you cancel using "problems with the buyer's address" through eBay, Paypal refunds the fees. I've had to do it, and there was no problem. 

Not anymore. Paypal now keeps all fees even if you refund. To get around that, I've been able to give refunds when buyers bought local pickup only items and later realized they can't pick up, by deducting the Ebay and Paypal fees from the refund, or about 13%. They really have no choice. Either come 1000 miles away to pick up, or get NOTHING back.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply