cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of your shipping labels have adjustments

In the past few weeks I received several “shipping label adjustments” from eBay charging additional amounts for USPS Priority Mail shipments already sent. Several months ago I got one for a package that was an odd size and overstuffed - I get that - but these recent ones are for brand new standard size boxes with the size printed on them by the box producer. The weight is not an issue and none of them were overstuffed – just one fragile item properly protected with bubble wrap and crumpled newspaper. For instance, USPS says a standard 18x13x7 box is actually 20x13x7 and charges me an additional $6.42. I have just measured one of those boxes and it is indeed 18x13x7.

I have read other posts on this but none seem to have this particular box size issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? And any luck in challenging it with USPS?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Any box over 1 CF (12x12x12) is charged dimensional weight. 

18x13x7 is over 12x12x12 so you will be charged dimensional weight and not the weight of the package.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

It isn't Ebay that is doing it, it is USPS.  You can disagree with them and ask them to look into it. Not sure what it entails, but the link is in the email you got saying you were "adjusted". 

I have also gotten several adjustments that were on the plus side, that I charged too much and they refunded the extra.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I generally don't have much luck challenging USPS - every claim I have ever filed for damages has been rejected no matter how compelling the evidence. But I will give it a shot -thanks!

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Almost all carriers will have a very high rate of denying damage claims due to 'insufficient packaging'.

However, adjustment errors are much easier to win. They can check the camera when it was scanned. It's quite common packages get stuck together and the automated system increases the bill incorrectly.

I've never had issue getting an adjustment removed that wasn't warranted.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Any box over 1 CF (12x12x12) is charged dimensional weight. 

18x13x7 is over 12x12x12 so you will be charged dimensional weight and not the weight of the package.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Are you using the measurements that are on the box are our you measuring the outside of the box after it has been packaged up? The numbers on the box itself are inside measurements, outside ones may differ.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Yes, I measured the outside of the box.  And I have used this exact size box by the same manufacturer for years to ship porcelain platters, without ever receiving an adjustment. So getting 3 recent adjustments suggests to me that USPS is doing something different these days.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Interesting. The weight wasn't the issue - it was all about the box size. But I wonder if somehow they are connected.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

18"+ 13"+ 7" = 38"  

If you can shave the box down 2" you'll be fine.  The magic number is 36".  

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

18x13x7 is 0.95 though less than 12x12x12 and under the 1 cu rule.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I am having this exact same issue with UPS. We have been selling for years and never had any issues at all. I have had 2 get adjusted in the past week that the boxes came from ULINE and were not overstuffed at all. They said 1 pacakge was 4" bigger than it actually was, for a cost of $34 extra. I have also had 2 adjusted for weight and both were over 7lbs heavier than I said, which is not even remotely possible. I was just letting it slide but this seems like it is going to be a major issue with as many packages as we ship. 

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

In the last two months, FedEx has been nailing us on about every package that HAS eBay shipping tape on it.  
Not had a single upgrade using plain packaging tape.   
After the 1st week of several hundred dollars in upgrades, we began weighing packages heavy, and adding inches to dimensions.  That did NOT help (and my scales are accurate).
We began packaging about 50/50 with Plain tape-vs-eBay branded tape.  (only the eBay branded tape packages get upgraded). 

UPS upgrades began a few weeks after the FedEx upgrades started.  But, the upgrades were just a few packages so far, and the amount wasn't significant.  (dollar to three per package).

USPS has been doing the same on and off for quite a while. 
NEVER an increase though. 
ALWAYS a credit saying stated weight was more than actual weight. (always just an ounce or two though).

FedEx seems to have figured out that eBay is the "shipper" and is targeting eBay due to the seller not having any "reasonably feasible" recourse.   
Meaning: I probably can't get anything done about it, and if I could? It's not worth my time

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

18 x 13 x 7 = 1638 c.i.

12 x 12 x12= = 1 1726 c. i.

That  equals a hmmm

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

18 x 13 x 7 = 1638 c.i.

12 x 12 x12= = 1 1726 c. i.

That  equals a hmmm

@johnrj1226   ? 12x12x12= 1728

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

My heart skipped a beat. 

I just sent a 19 X 11 X 8, and then realized that by again multiplying rather than adding, that as I had thought, I was under the 1728 .

Message 15 of 32
latest reply