cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold item, buyer wants to meet and pick up

Hi

I sold an item and the buyer asked me before the auction ended if he could pick it up. I told him yes and gave him a pick up spot at a gas station. He asked me if he could pick up at a restaurant instead. the restaurant is not far and I said ok. Then he asked me to meet inside the restaurant. I told him why inside the retaurant? He said outside would be ok.

Anyway I started not being confortable with the meet. I am afraid of being scammed. I told him he would have to sign me a form stating that he recieved the item. He said ok to that.

What if he signs whatever and later on says it wasn't him that signed? How can I protect myself? I will never meet again with a buyer, I am not confortable with it.

Please advise as I have to meet him Sunday 11am eastern time.

Thxs

Pat

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Sold item, buyer wants to meet and pick up

It's not an expensive item at $23. I sent him an email saying I could not meet for this transaction and if he wanted a new invoice with shipping or a refund.

Thxs for all the help

Pat

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

I've bought, picked up, sold, and delivered truckloads of items from eBay over the years, including a disassembled 1840's log home in 2005. If you don't like pickup, why did you offer it? I got fed up with one seller a few months ago only a few miles away, over a ceiling light fixture who amended the listing to reflect the pickup, but refused  to offer an alternative free shipping option to the $40 posted charge. They offered to deliver it to my address because they apparently didn't want me coming to their house. I wrote them twice asking them to offer a pickup option without the shipping charge, but they never responded, and the item is still for sale! You can't have your cake and eat it too! I prefer to pay cash at pickup which as stated above, is proof of receipt, and saves the seller Paypal charges on $500 purchases, but you'd be surprised how many sellers think you're trying to scam them or eBay by saving them a few bucks. Half insist I pay through Paypal first! I've met folks at million dollar homes, gas stations, and they've driven 1000 miles to my rural home. I've never had an issue. In my experience, antique people are the greatest kind! One word of advice, if you're wary, and going to meet a stranger somewhere, make sure it's a very public place like a gas station! Good Luck!

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

We never meet with our buyers no matter how much they ask.  I know that in New Jersey, there are many local municipalities that allow exchange of items in the foyers of their local police stations.  My community allows this.  The exchange in on camera, and if anything goes wrong, the police are right there.  Good luck!

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

I don't know the item, value or your situation but I don't like the pick ups. I do some large items with pick up and never really had a problem but the small items just grate on me when someone wants a pick up. They are trying to save a few bucks but I have to rearrange my schedule to accommodate them. That loss to me is the cost of the shipping. I find also they want to see what I got stashed and who I am.

I have had 2 in my memory and I just gave them free shipping and mailed it. I think that gives them the idea not to ask again. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 19 of 37
latest reply

There's two issues here:

are you safe?

will you make $?

As a woman, if I agreed to local pickup, I would be comfortable meeting in a restaurant I guess...but since the buyer already paid thru PP it is possible for them to file INR and win, so you did the right thing by contacting the buyer. Just don't claim OOS because as another poster has advised -it can negatively impact your selling account.

Personally I don't like Local Pickup, it's too much work for not a lot of $.

KayKeeCorp
Grand Ultimate Supreme
Message 20 of 37
latest reply

i have done numerous local pickups the only way to protect yourself  from a buyer saying item not received , a signature will not be honored by ebay aonly using messaging through ebay sight,

so tell your buyer uopn inspection of item  and he inspects item and wants it he either emails you on the spot through ebay or feedback at time of meet ebay will only honor that , 

tell him to bring his smart phone if he refuses to these terms y got a problem

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

Why is everyone making this so compicated?

If the item has already ben paid for, then the OP should just email the buyer and say, hey, I like the idea of local pick up, but I would like the cash in exchange for saving you the ship cost.  So if it is ok with you, I would like to refund the paypal payment and then you can pay me cash when we meet.

If that is ok with you, let me know - if not, I will just ship the item to you per the listing details.

If the buyer says ok, then refund using buyer requested.

And unless the restaurant has horrid food, I see no reason not to meet inside a public place, but if you feel that insecure - meet at your bank so you can deposit the money and there are plenty of cameras and a security guard there.

(*Bleep*)
Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

Why is everyone making this so compicated?

If the item has already ben paid for, then the OP should just email the buyer and say, hey, I like the idea of local pick up, but I would like the cash in exchange for saving you the ship cost.  So if it is ok with you, I would like to refund the paypal payment and then you can pay me cash when we meet.

If that is ok with you, let me know - if not, I will just ship the item to you per the listing details.

If the buyer says ok, then refund using buyer requested.

And unless the restaurant has horrid food, I see no reason not to meet inside a public place, but if you feel that insecure - meet at your bank so you can deposit the money and there are plenty of cameras and a security guard there.

The OP said they wanted to ask if he buyer was willing to cancel and then receive an invoice WITH shippping, so I assume that the buyer picked 'Local Pickup Only' as their shipping selection.

In any planet that we can see via the Hubble space telescope, that would be enough to eliminate an INR claim, but I doubt it does on planet ebay and paypal.

Dear buyer,

Upon further research and since you have already paid through paypal. Per ebay, pickup is not possible for your protection and mine should a delivery dispute arise in the future.  Unfortunately I will have to cancel our meeting.

Your package will be shipped on xxx. Thank you for your business.

Regards

I get this request quite often. My answer is always NO. Why on earth would you put your self in that kind of a position, ever?

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@banana-posts wrote:

Dear buyer,

Upon further research and since you have already paid through paypal. Per ebay, pickup is not possible for your protection and mine should a delivery dispute arise in the future.  Unfortunately I will have to cancel our meeting.

Regards

I get this request quite often. My answer is always NO. Why on earth would you put your self in that kind of a position, ever?

I see it as no different as a B&M store.  I would work 12 hours a day in my vintage B&M and leave my store late at night and while I would have an occasional shoplifter, no one ever came in to rob me or broke into my store.

But considering that we hear that there are robbers profiling sellers on the internet, Craigslist gets the most press, then people should be aware of the online image they present if they ever do local pickup.  Just as they should be aware of how they present themselves that would make them a target for scammers.

If they feel unsafe because they are older or slight of build or female, then bring along a big mean looking friend or relative and meet in a place that has people and security.  OR just sign your emails Mad Dog or Bubba and see if they still want to meet.

(*Bleep*)
Message 25 of 37
latest reply

Is this buyer also on Craig’s list ?
Don’t go alone.
Go to a busy (lots of people) well-lit location.(daytime)
Remember a picture says a thousand word’s !!! (So Take lot’s)
Perhaps video.
Message 26 of 37
latest reply

CL is mentioned here often as a viable option to ebay.

So how is meeting this guy any different.

In my area, the police encourage these types of transactions to be done at the Police Station.

But if the OP is not comfortable, then yes she should give the buyer the option to cancel or have it sent to the address on file.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@banana-posts wrote:

Dear buyer,

Regards

I see it as no different as a B&M store.  I would work 12 hours a day in my vintage B&M and leave my store late at night and while I would have an occasional shoplifter, no one ever came in to rob me or broke into my store.

But considering that we hear that there are robbers profiling sellers on the internet, Craigslist gets the most press, then people should be aware of the online image they present if they ever do local pickup.  Just as they should be aware of how they present themselves that would make them a target for scammers.

If they feel unsafe because they are older or slight of build or female, then bring along a big mean looking friend or relative and meet in a place that has people and security.  OR just sign your emails Mad Dog or Bubba and see if they still want to meet.

It's very different from a B&M store and Craigslist because on ebay you have the option to ship the product and receive payment before said shipment. On ebay you don't have a physical storefront. On ebay buyers have the option to say they never got the product and ebay will reward them with a big fat refund from the seller's bank account.  Pictures, signed receipts mean nothing to ebay. 

ebay is not craigslist, it's not a B&M and it's not a site that protects it's sellers.  To put yourself in a position to A. be scammed with a non-receipt claim or B. be robbed when you can easily avoid both is foolish.

Sellers here are slaves to ebay's rules and policies. B&Ms are not. It's really getting old hearing this ridiculous comparison. And no one came in to rob anyone until the day they got robbed.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 28 of 37
latest reply

@techoes wrote:

I've bought, picked up, sold, and delivered truckloads of items from eBay over the years, including a disassembled 1840's log home in 2005. If you don't like pickup, why did you offer it? I got fed up with one seller a few months ago only a few miles away, over a ceiling light fixture who amended the listing to reflect the pickup, but refused  to offer an alternative free shipping option to the $40 posted charge. They offered to deliver it to my address because they apparently didn't want me coming to their house. I wrote them twice asking them to offer a pickup option without the shipping charge, but they never responded, and the item is still for sale! You can't have your cake and eat it too! I prefer to pay cash at pickup which as stated above, is proof of receipt, and saves the seller Paypal charges on $500 purchases, but you'd be surprised how many sellers think you're trying to scam them or eBay by saving them a few bucks. Half insist I pay through Paypal first! I've met folks at million dollar homes, gas stations, and they've driven 1000 miles to my rural home. I've never had an issue. In my experience, antique people are the greatest kind! One word of advice, if you're wary, and going to meet a stranger somewhere, make sure it's a very public place like a gas station! Good Luck!

OP did not offer pick up; listing did not have pick up as an option.  Propective buyer messaged and asked about it before buying.  Seller said yes but now has misgivings.  Seller can stick to original shipping statement and ask if buyer wants to cancel or have  him ship it.  Can cancel using buyer's address, no defect.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@techoes wrote:

I've bought, picked up, sold, and delivered truckloads of items from eBay over the years, including a disassembled 1840's log home in 2005. If you don't like pickup, why did you offer it? I got fed up with one seller a few months ago only a few miles away, over a ceiling light fixture who amended the listing to reflect the pickup, but refused  to offer an alternative free shipping option to the $40 posted charge. They offered to deliver it to my address because they apparently didn't want me coming to their house. I wrote them twice asking them to offer a pickup option without the shipping charge, but they never responded, and the item is still for sale! You can't have your cake and eat it too!

I think you did get an answer to your request in that the seller did not respond to either of your two messages.  Sellers do not have to agree to any or every buyer request.  Sellers choose whether they want to ship or allow local pick up.  You state this item is still for sale; the seller choose to not sell it via local pick up, and that is their right, so they are happy the item is still for sale, as they made an exception for you to accomodate your request for pick up; they even offered to deliver it to you!   I think at that point, they felt they had tried to work with you, but were not prepared to make any further concessions, thus no response to your two requests for free shipping, no charge for local pick up.  They were done.  

I understand that you felt you should save if you picked it up, but I believe the seller prefered to ship it and cover themselves by stating the fee for shipping.

I hope you find the item you want with the terms you want.  Good luck.

I prefer to pay cash at pickup which as stated above, is proof of receipt, and saves the seller Paypal charges on $500 purchases, but you'd be surprised how many sellers think you're trying to scam them or eBay by saving them a few bucks. Half insist I pay through Paypal first! I've met folks at million dollar homes, gas stations, and they've driven 1000 miles to my rural home. I've never had an issue. In my experience, antique people are the greatest kind! One word of advice, if you're wary, and going to meet a stranger somewhere, make sure it's a very public place like a gas station! Good Luck!

Message 30 of 37
latest reply