cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So default advanced search is supposed to be all words, any order - NOT

I just did a search for aluminum colander and decided to add vintage at the last second - so the search was for "aluminum colander vintage."  479 completed results.  Thought, hmmm... cleared that out and searched again for "vintage aluminum colander." 1395 completed results.  That is a HUGE difference!  Tried it in active listings - same discrepancies in the results.  543 active results when vintage is the third word, 2.448 when vintage is the first word!  This is NOT good.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Yes, i have seen similar results. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

eBay's search has a lot of built-in "smart" features that can interfere with a logical search.

Rather than simply returning the results that contain your individual search terms in the title or item-specifics, eBay will sometimes make keyword substitutions, or even use your keywords to steer a search into a particular category. This can be helpful if you misspell a word, or if there is a broadly recognized alternative for one of your keywords (like substituting Chevy for Chevrolet), or if there is a single category where your results are likely to be found, but in some cases this may lead to results you may not be expecting or intending. There are ways around these features, if you notice that is happening when you search.

eBay may recognize certain combinations of keywords and group them together automatically whether you want that or not, so the order of your keywords may indeed matter.

If you want to bypass all the smart features and find only the logical results that match your exact individual terms, using certain search commands should work -- putting one of your keywords in quotes, using an exclusion term preceded by a minus sign, or including multiple keywords in parentheses separated by commas (a Boolean "OR" search) -- any of these will bypass the "smart" features. If you search for "aluminum" colander, for instance, you will miss out on any aluminium colander or aluminum collander listings. If you include a term like vintage along with your quoted keyword, you will only find listings containing that exact keyword rather than any synonyms.

You may see more results by doing searching that way (if the previous search was steered into a narrow category) or you may see fewer total results (if many of previous results were matching alternative keywords). Sometimes it can be worth trying the same search in multiple ways, as one search is likely to turn up some results another search may miss.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@theoldladysattic wrote:

I just did a search for aluminum colander and decided to add vintage at the last second - so the search was for "aluminum colander vintage."  479 completed results.  Thought, hmmm... cleared that out and searched again for "vintage aluminum colander." 1395 completed results.  That is a HUGE difference!  Tried it in active listings - same discrepancies in the results.  543 active results when vintage is the third word, 2.448 when vintage is the first word!  This is NOT good.

It explains a lot lately.  If the title is so keyword order critical, why the hundreds of hours spent on item specifics??

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@theoldladysattic 

As far as I can tell, it has been like this for a very long time now.  Selecting title and description, it not much better either.  

So many other things can influence what you are "shown" as well.  Some of these things you can "override" to a degree as outlined by @eburtonlab, but there are still things used to manipulate the results.   I remember many years ago, when things started to look "wonky" and we would do those 'experiments'  of using the exact same title on different devices, different/same internet connections, changing browsers, physical location,  etc.  The person across the country, and the person sitting next to me on the sofa with a laptop,  would all see different results from an exact title search.  This was even before they went to forced category navigation or whatever they call it. 

For years, eBay denied any of this.  Then they went to "can't show buyers everything since it causes confusion".  Then it was 'just because you listed something on the site eBay was under no obligation to display your listing in search or browse'?????

To me, it looks like what you are SHOWN is mostly related to what you are likely to buy and what purchase will most benefit the venue.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If the title is so keyword order critical, why the hundreds of hours spent on item specifics??

because they have search filters that specifically search the IS.........and if you don't have the IS, you won't be returned in that search......

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Best way to search it to just use 1 word: Colander

After results, click 'used' off to the left. This will get rid of all the 'new ones' leaving what is usually 'vintage'.

But many people don't put the word 'vintage' in their listing, so you will miss out on those. 

Most 'vintage' were Stainless Steel- not aluminum; but again, many sellers don't know this.

So, try what I suggest; 1 word, then 'used'..

Message 7 of 7
latest reply