cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneaker Authentication Fails

I recently sold a pair of Jordans that failed Ebay authentication inspection.  These were shoes that I bought straight from Foot Locker, with receipt provided.  I have no clue why they failed authentication because the message they sent me was vague with reasons.

I was expecting the box to arrive back to me with an explanation as to why the shoes failed inspection.  But that didn't happen because FedEx delivered the returned package to the wrong address. 

Since FedEx Tracking marked the package as "Delivered", they denied my insurance claim.  Ebay also claimed that they couldn't do anything to help me. Now I'm out of $400, mainly due to eBay's sneaker authentication incompetence. I can't begin to explain how frustrating the whole situation is.

Flash forward about a month and a half later - Today I get an unexpected package at my door from eBay's Sneaker Authentication address.  I got excited, thinking it was my Jordans that somehow got recovered.  

But no-- It's a pair of shoes that I've never seen before in my life. Ebay Sneaker Authentication has shipped me some other random person's shoes. 

I want Ebay Sneaker Authentication to win out over StockX and GOAT, but the incompetence that I see is absolutely ridiculous. 

Ebay, you have to hire higher quality Oompa-Loompas, if you want this thing to work out.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Sneaker Authentication Fails

Personally, I would file a complaint with IC3 and, most of all, with the USPS Postal Inspectors.  To me, there seems something really hinky with the whole of the events that you have described.  Might even try talking to the FTC.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Little comfort to you but my guess is that eBay authentication team member has made a mistake.

I would send eBay's authentication team a message advising them that you have received a package (Quote tracking number) containing shoes that don't belong to you.

Quote your original case number and description of your shoes that tracking showed had been delivered and your claim was denied and photographs and description of shoes you have received and if there was any documentation enclosed with these that gave a reference then enclose this as well.

I know it is frustrating but please remain calm as you need co-operation of Authentication team and politely point out that in your opinion they had mixed up the items and case numbers and wrongly closed your case as unauthentic and had sent your shoes to some other person and address and not to you. Point out that it must be impossible for eBay's authentication team to generate 2 labels at 2 different time for one case/ one pair of shoes and you accept that human errors occur, and you would like eBay to correct theirs and your records regarding Authentication of your item and to reimburse you for sending your shoes to wrong address and after this is done provide a label for you to return the shoes you have received back to eBay.

Hope this works out to your satisfaction.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

It was FedEx that lost my package, not USPS.

Here's my other issue with FedEx and eBay-- I never received the returned package that they claim was delivered. If all parties are correct, then I have someone stealing packages off of my front porch.  

That sucks, but you'd think I'd be able to fix the situation moving forward, by having packages held for me at their locations.  Except FedEx wont do a 'Hold at Location' unless the shipper (eBay) requests it.  

The whole thing is frustrating.  Ebay has a lot of issues that need to be addressed with buying/selling shoes.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

But that didn't happen because FedEx delivered the returned package to the wrong address. 
@rickneal2 

That is where I would start. FedEx will know if that parcel was delivered to YOUR address or not.  Though they will not likely tell you where/to whom that package was sent, they can provide you a simple document saying it was not a package shipped to your address.  

Do you happen to have the ORIGINAL  tracking number (for the parcel that never showed up)  everybody is using to deny your claim?   I would ask for it, for sure.  You can ask ebay for it.  After all they are using it to mess you over.  Tell them you need it for insurance purposes. 

If it wasn't for the fact that eBay has engaged and approved this authentication service, one would think they have been taking lessons from the scammers that "return something to an address in your zipcode" or "return a cheap trinket to your address" to satisfy proof of return. 

When you have the documentation you need, I would suggest contacting ebay through their eBay for business facebook page.  Don't post to their page, but send a message with your full name, address, eBay ID,  item number, a timeline for what has occurred, and what needs to be done.  Regular CS will not help you, because this requires that you be refunded from eBay's money now, and regular CS seemingly will put you off over and over hoping you just give up and go away.   

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I've been on the phone with both FedEx and eBay.  Both left me high and dry.  FedEx told me to contact the shipper in order to initiate "lost package procedures".  I called eBay to do so, and they said that they don't have anything like that. They told me to file an insurance claim with FedEx.

I filed an insurance claim with FedEx, but it was denied because the tracking has it marked as "delivered".  

I'm sure it got delivered to the wrong address.  My address is "XXXX 8th Street Drive".  I'd bet anything that it was delivered to "XXXX 8th St".  I haven't lived at this address long enough to know if that has been a problem in the past, but I'm guessing that's what happened. I don't want to think that someone is stealing off of my front porch.

Regardless, contacting both FedEx and eBay did nothing for me.  That's been over a month ago, and I don't expect I'll ever get those shoes back.  I'm only sharing the story of my experience in hopes that someone from eBay will notice and see the need to correct issues that they have.  I know I can't be the only one having issues with this service.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I called eBay to do so, and they said that they don't have anything like that.

Did you talk to anyone in the authentication program?  Regular customer service wouldn't know beans about the program/returns.........

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I am in UK therefore I am not sure how postal system works in USA.

In UK Royal mail's track and trace website shows name of final delivery office. and you can check on Google Maps location of that office in relation to your address.

I assume FEDEX track and trace website will  show which delivery office was involved in final scan which is when they deliver and you should be able to check if that is your local FEDEX office.

It should help you if delivery office was in a different state or a different city and not your local FEDEX office. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I sold pair of Asics Metaspeed Sky running shoes($240) through Ebay authentication program which I bought directly from Asics.com.  5 days laters, Ebay sent 5 messages through Ebay and claimed that Ebay authenticator third-party claimed that the product is not described as in my Ebay listing. Ebay issued full refund to the buyer and provide a return Fedex tracking return for the package back to me.(waiting in the process). I hope the product is the same as I sent it out!  

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

It's has been 3 days since Ebay told me that the Authenticator will send back my item(item as not described) with fedex tracking. However, when I checked the tracking status, it shows that the package is not moving at all(labeled just created). Does any know how long does it take for them to return the item back to seller?

Thank you

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Thank you for sharing your story. If I was you, I will ask Ebay customer service and try to fix this problem.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Just wanna start off by saying we have been on eBay for 10 plus years and counting selling sneakers with a flawless record up until now. Lately We’ve been experiencing these same issues. When the authentication process first started , it seemed to be a very good idea, and we were very excited about it. Didn’t have any trouble until they added preowned listings $150 and up. That’s when the trouble started. In the past 2 months we’ve had several preowned items fail authentication that we know were in fact authentic. Once returned to us, we listed them on the GOAT platform which is merged with flight club (one of the oldest trusted sneaker sources on the net). Once sold, GOAT authenticated them with no problems , just can’t understand why eBay can’t. Now our account is restricted for what seems to be their lack of knowledge. When you try to call them in regards. It’s you’re wrong, their 3rd party authenticators are right, and that’s end of story. Only taking  the time to share this in hopes that someone from eBay will see it and make some changes. At this point it seems we will eventually be forced to quit selling on eBay if things don’t change, which is really disappointing considering eBay has always been our go to platform , and most importantly what we’re known for.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I feel you.  We have been with eBay for about 15 years.  We don't sell a lot of shoes, but we did just put a pair of Nikes on the platform and they sold for $400.00.  The authenticator said "Unable to confirm authenticity."  However, we know for a fact that the shoes are authentic.  We purchased them from the store with a hefty price tag.  We still had the original box and all the bling that went along with them minus one velcro swoosh.  I felt uneasy about sending my shoes to a third party to begin with.  What's to stop them from sending me back some other shoes or somehow scamming the system?  I am worried my shoes are not going to come back to me.  They already screwed me out of a sale!

Thanks for letting me know about GOAT.  I will be using them for my shoes in the future!

Tonight we got that disappointment combined with an unrelated negative review from the newbie who thinks it's my fault FedEx broke the item and didn't contact me to let me know what happened before they left FB.  I go to bed feeling angst!

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

tsachun
Rising Star

Just to share that I just experienced the same with the authenticator/ebay. Hopefully I will receive my real and original shoes peacefully. Really have no clue how my Js could become "seems not authentic", although they were purchased from nike.com.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Screenshot_20211122-161040_eBay.jpg

 I just baught a pair of authentic vintage big Nikes off of another seller and to my shock they didn't pass authentication. I know for a fact that these are authentic, I know of no fake Big Nikes and have owned the spike Lee Chicago's before, these are real. I got a decent price at auction, very favorable to me as a buyer and I am very disappointed that these authentic shoes failed. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply