cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2019. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

Well, my main problem, as I keep mentioning, is that my sales are in the dumper. They are down by 60% and it is the holiday shopping season, will we be getting our sales rush this year? It is looking more and more like this won't be happening.

Does Ebay want to keep us here, or do they not care? I'm a good seller, don't they want good quality sellers to make their site a great place to shop? How many other sellers are having slow to no sales this season? I see the board full of them. Would love to hear from other sellers about their experiences. If you’re doing well, please share your secrets. If you’re doing poorly please add your voice to this discussion. It does help when you know you aren't alone.

I’m following all their suggestions and more, constantly tweaking and updating, trying to chase down what works here. It is very difficult, when things keep changing. We’re trying to stay at Ebay because we believe this is a great place to sell. We just would love for it to work properly.

I am trying to get my sales kick started by taking some of the great suggestion that a few of the posters have given for Ebay and ended some items, waited a few days and then relisted them using sell similar. I did do the promoted listings again, which I don’t like at all, but I’m afraid that this is a necessary evil after reading what others have said. I listed a bunch of Christmas ornaments and I’ve added more free shipping to more of my listings. Maybe I'll try to list some more stuff today. So hopefully these things will help, whenever the site starts working properly again, that is. Still waiting …

It is hard to stay motivated, when you try everything and nothing seems to help.

I did start selling on another site (and actually got a sale today, yay), but of course I'm new and don't have a seller reputation like I do here on Ebay. I would much rather stick with where I have all my history and with what I am familiar with. It would be great if Ebay would please stop changing things and concentrate on fixing things instead, so we can get back to selling. We just want to love you again Ebay. No hate here, just frustration, major frustration. I would much rather be packing up boxes then writing on this board, believe me.

Message 1 of 927
latest reply
926 REPLIES 926

Re: Slow sales discussion for sellers. Nov 2019. Will we get our Holiday Rush??

@uncseniorsportsfan wrote:

The reasons your sales may appear do drop off, or you are down year over year, isn't because ebay wants you to do less, so they can benefit more. 

Then why did they institute promoted listings??  

The same reason cable TV instituted commercials.

Message 856 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped wrote:

The reasons your sales may appear do drop off, or you are down year over year, isn't because ebay wants you to do less, so they can benefit more. 

So they can benefit more by doing less?

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 857 of 927
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@homeshipped wrote:

By your logic....

TV has commercials.

Cable TV no commercials.

Cable TV adds commercials.

Cable TV is doing less now.... thinks no one.

You know, I'm sure if you look hard enough, you will find in the cable tv user agreement, "that not all content will show all the time."  Gee, I wonder why they put that in there.  

By the same logic being promoted here, it's because they are throttling users from watching too much of their cable tv... they need a break.

We need a gong for some of the users in here... 

Message 858 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@homeshipped wrote:

By your logic....

TV has commercials.

Cable TV no commercials.

Cable TV adds commercials.

Cable TV is doing less now.... thinks no one.

You know, I'm sure if you look hard enough, you will find in the cable tv user agreement, "that not all content will show all the time."  Gee, I wonder why they put that in there.  

By the same logic being promoted here, it's because they are throttling users from watching too much of their cable tv... they need a break.

We need a gong for some of the users in here... 

actually cable tv always had commercials - what doesn't is a lot of paid apps (netflix for example)...

commercials make up more income for a channel then they get paid by cable companies to offer their subscribers that channel... but not all, some are "special channels" we pay extra for, like HBO or Showtime, NHL, Disney etc... subscribers to these get 24/7 access were normal cable subscribers don't get any... kind of like Promoted Listings... subscribe a listing to be promoted your "paying" for more visibility and a "higher" change of cross and out of platform spotlight...yet only pay for this service if the item sells via the promoted listing, channels get paid no matter what as commercial buyer pays upfront (and as long they air the commercial at the contracted times/days of course). 

In ebays case promoted listings was another way for them to increase revenue to it's platform business (and initiated at a time of ebay reporting losses from previous year amounts) yet was really a move to be more like Amazon and Walmart as they have had sponsored listings prior to ebay and make a **** load from it. Not sure if the others charge the same as ebay does, only pay if item sells, but basically all the majoy platforms have a kind of promoted listing feature now.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 859 of 927
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

actually cable tv always had commercials -

I'm old enough to remember, that when they didn't have cable TV and they were digging up streets in the front of your house to lay the cables, that they promoted cable TV as a paid service with No Commercials.

When cable TV first came out... it didn't have commercials.  I remember sitting around the dinner table complaining about the days they started bringing them back... but the cable companies realized we would be ok with that and still pay, as long as we were given more content as a bait to do so.

Message 860 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

I'm old enough to remember, that when they didn't have cable TV and they were digging up streets in the front of your house to lay the cables, that they promoted cable TV as a paid service with No Commercials.

When cable TV first came out... it didn't have commercials.  I remember sitting around the dinner table complaining about the days they started bringing them back... but the cable companies realized we would be ok with that and still pay, as long as we were given more content as a bait to do so.

i was born in the 70's so didn't see very first cable which i believe was sometime introduced in 60's... but i know it didn't take long for them to adapt commercials and use it as large part of their revenue. anyways... the analogy wasn't aimed at you, just an overall of meaning of promoted listings

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 861 of 927
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

i was born in the 70's so didn't see very first cable which i believe was sometime introduced in 60's... but i know it didn't take long for them to adapt commercials and use it as large part of their revenue. anyways... the analogy wasn't aimed at you, just an overall of meaning of promoted listings

To be fair, you would get your local channels on Cable TV and they still came in with their commercials.  What I was referring to were the add on channels that were promoted as commercial free.   Eventually however, those commercial free add-ons, succumbed to …. commercially promoted content as well.

Message 862 of 927
latest reply

@homeshipped wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

The first cable TV in the 1960s sure did have commercials... it was basically stations that were already on the air but "snow free"... no more rotating the antenna- plus, you got major city channels and UHF channels as well, so way more than just 3, 5, and 8.

Cable TV has always had commercials- CNN and MTV come to mind. They had commercials from the beginning.

We got our first cable TV hookup in late 1966, IIRC.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 863 of 927
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@monstertoybox wrote:

It is so tiresome disagreeing with you because I just end up saying the same thing. There is no person sitting at EBay shutting off my account and then turning it back on, this is not happening, nor have I ever stated this. What is happening is my sales are being controlled by algorithms. When I make a certain amount for the day my items no longer are seen, or at least my visibility becomes compromised in some way and search steers buyers to others.

How or why this is happening is a guess, but I can see this in the graph that is so nicely displayed on my seller hub. It is blatantly obvious this time of year because my sales are great during Christmas, so I tend to hit my max $ amount everyday. This is why out of the last 13 days, 8 of those days have the exact same total. The other 5 are made up of 3 days exactly half, and 2 exactly double. 

The fact that you can type my exact title and find my item does not prove that it is visible to all other potential buyers across all times zones and at all times. 

@monstertoybox 

I did a quick scan of your past posts, and I couldn't find where you had ever posted your suspicions that your sales are being controlled by algorithms on the Weekly Chat thread. 

I think your theories are worthy of consideration and response by eBay's team, so I'd like to bring them up in the Weekly Chat next week. Do you mind if I use direct quotes from your posts, or should I just summarize them myself? I think it would be very interesting for all of us to see what those staff members have to say about it.

@eleanor*rigby Thank you for your offer on posting about this on chat today, but I really think it would be better if I did it myself, especially since I am the one experiencing this. I don't expect them to acknowledge that anything is really happening, but I've wrote up my summary of this Christmas sales issue and will post when it opens up this afternoon.

Message 864 of 927
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

@eleanor*rigby Thank you for your offer on posting about this on chat today, but I really think it would be better if I did it myself, especially since I am the one experiencing this. I don't expect them to acknowledge that anything is really happening, but I've wrote up my summary of this Christmas sales issue and will post when it opens up this afternoon.

@monstertoybox 

Oh, man! I've been working on my synopsis of your posts all week! 

Just kidding. I was going to work on it this a.m., so all is well. grin I'll be watching the chat thread for your post! Good luck!

Message 865 of 927
latest reply

Same here Can it be that as ebay opens foreign sites the American site falls off?

Message 866 of 927
latest reply

@monstertoybox wrote:

Those are completely wrong totals! Are you just adding up what is showing under my solds? You know how many multi-quantity listings I have? Many. And these do not show under the solds until the last one is gone. 8 out of the last 13 days I had $200 in sales (give or take $5). Sorry, but once again, you are wrong.

The days where it isn't quite exact, I had accepted offers and had cancellations. Other then that there are definite patterns here.

Sales 12-13.JPG

I day trade a lot. You know, Warren Buffet said, paraphrased, you can take the same daily charts and turn them upside down, and come to the same wrong conclusions and justify why they mean something they don't. All this tells you is that some days of the week you sell almost the same amount... and some days you don't. Big box brick and mortar stores see the same results. They attribute them to more fundamental market factors than conspiracies theories that their building owners are throttling their sales traffic.

Your largest day came  just after SS and Welfare Checks hit homes and had a weekend for funds to settle. Two of your slower days came on a Thursday... the day people generally have the fewest amount of discretionary dollars to spend unless they fall on a 1st or 15th. Your Friday Saturday pattern into a Sunday slow down is a very typical pattern. If you sell on the west coast compared to the east coast, that pattern is even more prevalent. Your next high day came 9 days after the last and fell on the first day of a December full moon. If you check your sales data for every full moon day for the last 10 years.... that's a pattern that will wow you too.

Even at that, it's all speculation and you can find a pro and con for every non fundamental, fundamental, technical chart out there.

Charts show patterns that can be interpreted based on something you want to see just as much as something you don't. There's nothing odd there.

Like I offered before. I'm a wealthy guy. Send me a PM on a day you believe that you have hit your max cap theory and send me 5 items I can search for. I'll do a search how I would look for that item in several ways and then see if I can buy one. Well test your theory.

But you only have two days left. I already put this store back on vacation mode. I only open once every 6 months in this house for tax reasons, and I'm out of here on Friday this week. I didn't really have much to do and no big liquidations to add to this old store. And I don't talk or log into this account from any of my other homes... usually. It's why I only comment up in here once every six months the last couple years on this board from this account.

Message 867 of 927
latest reply

I think it’s this graph along with my sales being down 57% that is causing my concern. I appreciate your offer to search for my items when I feel I’m in a slump, but now that the Christmas shopping season is done it will be harder to see patterns like these. Also, I put my store on vacation yesterday until January.

Message 868 of 927
latest reply

I made $60 US last week.  I'm all the way up to $53 so far this week BUT, I sell 2 listings for my friend & he gets $505!!  How fair is that?!  lol  Merry Christmas!

Message 869 of 927
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

I made $60 US last week.  I'm all the way up to $53 so far this week BUT, I sell 2 listings for my friend & he gets $505!!  How fair is that?!  lol  Merry Christmas!

...that all depends on how much you charged your "friend" to sell 2 listings for them, for how fair that may or may not be.

I have a special store that's only for members of my family that are too lazy to sell their own stuff. So I give it to an employee to list on their own time, and they get to keep 30% of the net profits. If the items are less than $20... they keep it all. That's fair...

Merry Christmas.

Message 870 of 927
latest reply