cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Sales in January 2020

Just wondering how other sellers are doing. Our sales are very slow. With some unpaid auction items and really low offers. We sell mainly coins but we have some other accounts where we sell clothes and books and household items just a variety of things we do not need any longer. We just had an offer this morning for an item what is listed for 5.00 Dollars. We do not have any "Best Offer" Listings but from time to time we get someone what sends a message if we would take X amount for an item. This potential buyer offered 5.00 with free shipping. I tried to ship without tracking what opens us up to to much hassle  and getting dinged by ebay for shipping without tracking and I do realize other sellers offer free shipping but we are not able to do that . For us as sellers it is just not worth it, if I would add the shipping to the item and make it 8.99 free shipping they still would offer far less. We have the basic store so we pay for having the store the final fee the pay pal fee so for that item I would have maybe made less then a dollar if I would have taken his offer. We do realize they don't care from a selling point just for an item they want and get it at the best price. But for some low ball offers I much rather throw it away or donate the item. Just wondering how other sellers feel about it.

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: Slow Sales in January 2020

@doubledz-a2z do you have a list for the new USPS price increase? I need the list that gives us the discounted ev=bay ship prices. Thank You :)))
Message 31 of 83
latest reply

my business died mid november. xmas was awful,january positively non existent. almost ready to pack it in. just not worth the effort. Pity,most of 2019 was fabulous. whats the deal ebay? I see other sellers w the same branded merch at 5 times my prices and there not moving either. does anyone shop ebay anymore? guess not.

Message 32 of 83
latest reply

Zamo, the GMV drop was actually 8% in the USA!

Message 33 of 83
latest reply

Message 34 of 83
latest reply

Every time I think the sales are bad, they get worse. I can go 5 days with no sales, and most sales are $10 with free shipping stuff. I did have one person buy 3 items today, that is about the first time I have had a multiple sale in ages. 

Message 35 of 83
latest reply

Sales are down since taxes came in the picture, everywhere it's the same. As someone said people are buying, using other options where they don't have to pay extra taxes, whenever Greddy govt get involved and started to charge taxes on used items sales will go down,  why Govt want to double-dip on the item which was originally bought new and had its fair share of taxes paid and now same used item need to be taxed again???

why a buyer who is looking for a deal will like to pay an extra 8% to 9% taxes on items, where they can buy the same item for less without adding up the taxes.

Message 36 of 83
latest reply

If any of you youtube influencers are reading this thread, I hope that you are learning exactly why you shouldn't promote others getting into this as a way to make a living. This is the reality of it.

Message 37 of 83
latest reply

Well I must say we had a great December blew last year away but January has been very slow compared to last year and we even have more items for sale this year. Not sure why.  

Message 38 of 83
latest reply

I have for the first time experimented with Facebook with a few items and must say was surprised at the results. Will be looking at listing more there and checking out a few of the options you listed too.

Message 39 of 83
latest reply

@wheredidiputthatremote wrote:

Horrific. I’m down 60% compared to last year with about 300 items more listed compared to January 2019.  I’m just holding out hope.

Well, I looked at your listings as they apply to the category I work in.  What you offer is the stuff that I usually put directly in the trash bin (some goes to Goodwill) because I know that even at 10% of what you want it would be a tough sell.  

Message 40 of 83
latest reply

@wheredidiputthatremote wrote:

Horrific. I’m down 60% compared to last year with about 300 items more listed compared to January 2019.  I’m just holding out hope.

Love your store and your items! Hope things get better for you! We're in the same boat. 2019 was the worst year for us in the 10 years we've been on Ebay. We've recently had 5 days without a sale! This is after weeks of steady sales, just suddenly NOTHING!

Don't pay attention to others putting down your items. Another man's trash is another man's treasure! Good luck to you!

Message 41 of 83
latest reply

Just closed the books on January 2020 - sports account down 60% from last January (another month like this and I will lose my TRS), crafts down 30%, this account down 20% ( three transactions short of regaining my TRS) - only my bookstore was in the green.  Thanks to 4 sales on Jan 31st - I was only down 28% in total.   

Message 42 of 83
latest reply

I am the same, my sales are going down bad. It has been very low sales since November 2019, I expected to pick up in January but it is going down instead. I have hard time paying ebay fees "that only goes up" for the last few months and they may close my store soon. I do not offer returns or free shipping but still had a lot of returns that buyers will just lie that item not as described to force the return and get away with paying shipping cost. Ebay has been a nightmare since beginning of 2019 and I really hope I can find other venues or a job just to end my independence on it.

Message 43 of 83
latest reply

Its the sales tax......I sell high dollar guitars ....now with the tax being charged buyers are going to brick and mortar stores..I do have a brick and mortar store and have seen sales go up in person since sales tax implementation on the internet ...I also do Guitar shows around the country about once a month and sales are up there too...internet sales are dead, when a buyer sees the tax added on after the sale he does not pay,  that is why you are seeing more no pays and low balls. Best advice i can give you is don't keep all your eggs in one basket diversify your sales and find in person outlets to sell....I will continue to sell on the internet just not as much...peace

Message 44 of 83
latest reply

If I were buying a high dollar guitar - the last place I would buy it is online unless I lived hundreds of miles from a store that sold them.    Besides the lack of sales tax merely offset the cost of shipping.  Personally, I have no problem with the playing field being levelled for brick and mortar stores.  

Message 45 of 83
latest reply