cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping with standard envelope -- USPS stamp denomination differences?

So I have a bunch of small, thin items I am planning to sell, and they can reasonably fit in a standard envelope for USPS first-class.

I'm looking around to buy a book of stamps for this reason, and I noticed that USPS has different types of denominations on their stamps. The one I'm particularly interested in is this penguin stamp that is denoted with "Additional Ounce", but has an "intial value" of 21 cents? A book of 100 of these are apparently half of what "Forever" stamps cost (in the same 100-stamp coil configuration).

So, to cut this question short, I've successfully shipped 1.5 ounce first-class envelopes to buyers without a problem using 2x "Forever" stamps. Would I be able to ship 1.5 ounce envelopes using 2x "Additional Ounce" penguin stamps instead? It would seem I'm saving a lot of money in shipping, but I'm sure there's a catch somewhere...

I've been having a little difficulty finding a clear answer, and I am simply looking for clarification on what these penguin stamps are really worth in practice.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping with standard envelope -- USPS stamp denomination differences?

Proper useage.....

1,5 oz letter

1 standard Forever + 1 Additional Ounce

2.5 oz letter

1 standard Forever + 2 Additional Once

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Proper useage.....

1,5 oz letter

1 standard Forever + 1 Additional Ounce

2.5 oz letter

1 standard Forever + 2 Additional Once

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@buy_me_some_internets

The penguin stamps "additional ounce" are 21 cents each.

A first class stamp "forever" rate is 47 cents each.

So 2 of the penguin stamps would not even equal 1 standard FC letter stamp. In other words, no you could not use 2 penguin stamps to mail your items.

When you say your items are "thin" - how thin are they? Anything over 1/4" has to go first class package, not first class letter.

Also, what is the weight of your items? A 1oz weight needs the 47 cent stamp. Each additional ounce over that is 21 cents (penguin stamp). But that is also dependant on the thickness of your item as noted above.

By any chance are the small & thin items you're referencing the games you have listed (cds without cases)? If so, those should not go in a regular envelope without any protection. Most people ship them secured with cardboard, then placed in a bubble mailer, or even a cardboard mailer. They can easily break in transit with no protection.

Also keep in mind that if you use regular postage stamps you will not have tracking for these items.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@buy_me_some_internets wrote:

...  Would I be able to ship 1.5 ounce envelopes using 2x "Additional Ounce" penguin stamps instead? It would seem I'm saving a lot of money in shipping, but I'm sure there's a catch somewhere... .

The "catch" is that the penguin stamp is for an additional ounce.  You still have to use a 47-cent stamp for the first ounce.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thanks guys, this all helps.

I guess I'll still be technically saving money, I was planning on buying 100-stamp coils, which if it was just all "Forever" stamps, I'd have enough for 50x 1.5oz shipments. Now I can just buy 100 "Forever" stamps, and 100 penguin stamps, and have enough for 100x 1.5oz shipments. Math is fun!

Don't worry, to the one poster asking what I was planning on shipping. They aren't game discs! I know that needs to be padded and packed in at least first class parcels. Now... maybe if I had those special rigid CD mailer envelope dealies... that'll be for another thread...

Have a thank thumb.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

OP.........

for each letter you use to ship, will be a strike against you for no tracking number uploaded.

I sold a few smalls last year, shipped in a letter and everyone I shipped dropped my "upload tracking" score, lost my 20% discount.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

OP STOP AND READ:

You are setting yourself up for being scamed. You will not be able to prove your items are delieverd, you can't put a tracking number on a letter so the buyer can easly says they never got the letter.

Big Shipping saving with a letter but you're taking a big risk if the wrong buyer buys from you.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I have considered doing this myself for the gazillion postcards that I have collected over time for a couple of scrapbooking projects that are done now.  If I was going to do this (and I have received products like this -- sports cards and postcards, for example), then I would set up a new ID (or use a secondary ID if you already have more than one).  Then you can keep your discount on your primary account (assuming you have one) and use the secondary account for items that you are not going to use delivery confirmation on.  

You might be opening yourself to scammers if you are selling a high value item and mailing it without delievery confirmation. But I think you would be fine if the value of what you are selling is fairly low.  But check with some card sellers or postcard sellers and see what they say about scammers if you think it would be a concern. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I buy a few items that can be sent First Class with no tracking...all have gotten to me just fine.  And I would never be a not nice person and clain INR for any of those.  It is soooo much cheaper for the seller AND the buyer.  Dang, when did we all get so paranoid?  How often does this happen? (Lost 1st Class)?

If out of 50 sales, you get one INR....isn't it far better to charge 75 cents, costs .50 to send....and you've saved, as well as the buyer, probably 2 bucks per item?  They can buy more, you can sell more, why give USPS all that $$$$?

In other words, check the FB of the person buying those items and see if it's safe to send those items that way.

In all of my years, and there has been a few, I've had one bill with a check in it go astray, and it was found.

So why not send letter perfect items that way, stick a stamp on it and let 'er fly.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

This is why a created a second selling ID where I wasn't worried about trying to maintain the top rated seller status. I sold a bunch of window clings and just shipped them out in regular envelopes with stamp postage. They were small low cost items and wasn't worth charging my buyers shipping that would include tracking. That account is above standard but I'm not worried about making it a top rated seller one.

"What part of MEOW don't you understand?"
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

So if I want to send a Quarter in a standard envelope which shipping option would I choose to do this? 

Madonna Cote
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

So what's the cheapest way to ship a quarter so you have tracking provided?

Madonna Cote
Message 12 of 12
latest reply