cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Rates

I sell very small and light weight items.  A typical item would go in a 4 X 6 padded envelope and weigh 3 oz.  I normally offer free shipping on all items.  Just to see if the response would be better if I lowered the price and made the shipping separate I created a listing.  The first one I sold, I went to print the shipping label and the cost was $3.88 which was exactly what I expected.  But, when I looked at what the buyer paid for shipping it was only $1.68.  Ebay clearly knows the shipping label costs $3.88 to since that is what they charged me.  Why did Ebay only collect $1.68 in shipping from the buyer?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Shipping Rates

Was this on the "Bicycle Key Chain Biker Keychain Keyring Fidget Toy Black Christmas Gift for Him"? It shows $1.68 shipping on the listing.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Hi @sirwes2_7 

Are you certain you chose 'First Class Package' when you set up your listing?  [The lower price suggests you chose First Class Mail ... the kind you ship in an envelope without tracking.]

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I always charge shipping, this allows me to safely run sales and lower prices on old items with no fear of losing money on shipping. It also makes offers to watchers seem much better for the same total drop in price. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

You have the shipping set as a Flat which would be $1.68 , it needs to be set as a Package 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@sirwes2_7 wrote: ..., when I looked at what the buyer paid for shipping it was only $1.68.  Ebay clearly knows the shipping label costs $3.88 to since that is what they charged me.  Why did Ebay only collect $1.68 in shipping from the buyer?

$3.88 is the online postage cost to ship a package up to 4 ounces to Zone 5.

$1.68 is the postage cost to ship a 3-ounce flat (AKA Large envelope).

Apparently the shipping calculator in that listing was set up with "package type" set to Large envelope.  But your item should be shipped as a package; it doesn't qualify to go as a flat (AKA Large envelope). eBay doesn't sell postage for letters or flats, only for packages, so when you purchased the label it defaulted to package rate.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Yes that is the item.  I put in the correct size envelope and the correct weight.  It can NOT be shipped for $1.68.  So why does Ebay show the buyer that it can?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

That is what I thought as well.  But, the way that Ebay shows it on the listing page when I select "Cost varies based on buyers location" is "USPS First Class."  It does not specify package or letter, but if I put in package dimensions of 8x4x1 that has to be a package.  Also under USPS First Class it says "Buyers pays $4.80-$5.60"  Which also makes no sense because that size package at current shipping rates would be between $3.48-$4.36 depending on the distance shipped.  So, none of what Ebay is doing here makes any sense to me.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@sirwes2_7 wrote:

Yes that is the item.  I put in the correct size envelope and the correct weight.  It can NOT be shipped for $1.68.  So why does Ebay show the buyer that it can?

First Class Envelope is not the same as First Class Package. It appears that you selected the former method instead of the latter when setting up your listing (even though you can find and use First Class Package when you're buying your shipping label). Although you are indeed using a padded envelope, it should carry First Class Package postage ($3.88).

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I can not find any place in the new listing page where it says "large envelope."

It does say "package dimensions"  and the dimensions I put in are 8x4x1.  Obviously, an inch think is not an envelope.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Ebay passes a discounted First Class or Priority rate to you and charges the buyer retail rate. It is up to you whether you keep the profit difference or not.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Just do this.

Look up shipping rules. Make a shipping rule and call it "First class" and charge $4.99 for it. My first class shipping rule allows the buyer to endlessly add extra items within it without ever charging them again, you can do that if you want to, your choice there. I have found that people often buy multiple little items that still end up being first class, and the person who manages to buy 2 cheap heavy 1st class items and force priority is literally a twice a year occurrence.

Then load all those items into the bulk editor, lower all your prices by $4.99 and apply that shipping rule to all those items.

Then whenever they raise the first class rate then you just change your shipping rule price. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply