cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Flat Shipping Rules Default to highest Shipping Cost on Items

Hey! I've been looking for an answer for this for awhile and figured I would finally post.

I have two main shipping prices for my items- $1.75 and $4.75 with free shipping on additional purchases.

If someone purchases one item that ships at $1.75 and one that ships at $4.75 will the it default to the higher cost ($4.75) at checkout? Will it charge both costs because they are in different rules?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

When I put one of each in shopping cart.........shows that the 1.75 & 4.75 are combined.........$6.50

Screenshot (319).png

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

The shopping cart doesn't always work like it should with regards to shipping. I have had problems with it as both a buyer and a seller. If you are using immediate payment required on BIN items in combination with the shopping cart it creates a bigger mess. 

As a seller I will generally work with the buyer and cancel the orders as buyer requested then setup a bundle package listing for them with the correct shipping and provide them with the item number once the bundle is up. 

As a buyer, which I seldom am these days, I tend to avoid using the shopping cart. My last experience was a total nightmare and the seller was not even aware I had placed the order(s). 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

That you so much! I appreciate you trying that.... unfortunately I don't have flat rate shipping set up yet because I was never able to find a solid response.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thats the exact reason I haven't set it up yet on my account. I feel like I am missing out on a lot of sales due to the shipping being outrageous when buyers see the total in their cart. I also don't want to get killed on shipping costs. I don't think most buyers will want to reach out after they have a bunch of items in their cart but I could be wrong.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

sorry, I misunderstood your question.............since the listings do now show flat rates........

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

All good. I do appreciate your effort.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thats the exact reason I haven't set it up yet on my account. I feel like I am missing out on a lot of sales due to the shipping being outrageous when buyers see the total in their cart. I also don't want to get killed on shipping costs. I don't think most buyers will want to reach out after they have a bunch of items in their cart but I could be wrong.

While not all buyers read the description you could add a note into your description to contact you about multiple purchases and combined shipping but you have a LOT of items listed and you may get flooded with emails.

This would all be simplified if eBay could fix the cart function to where you could invoice the customer and adjust the shipping cost. Not sure they will ever be able to fix it when immediate payment is required. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

It will default to the higher cost as the base shipping. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Fantastic. Thank you!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Why is your standard envelope shipping $1.75 anyway? I am going to guess it is to make the $1 cards worth pulling in the first place. I do sort of the same thing except my standard envelope is 79 cents and I just use a 1.99 minimum card price. 

I examined my own card business really carefully and I have come to the realization that I can absolutely make $20 an hour just selling minimum price point cards. However that $20 an hour is dragging my average down, not pulling it up, and I can already locate merchandise faster than I can sell it, so I am getting out of the minimum price point cards entirely. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

If you have free shipping on the additional purchase than you would use the same rule.  Then if someone bought an item with $4.75 shipping and one with $1.75 shipping, they would be charged a total of $4.75 shipping as the second would be free.  The highest shipping cost would be the one charged.

Does that answer your question?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

It can be hard to reconcile standard envelope cards with cards that can't go that way in shipping rules, however I have sold about 12,000 cards over the past 2 years and I am not sure if I have ever actually run into that issue. It is extremely difficult to get most customers to purchase more than 1 card at a time. I can have a buy 1 get 1 free sale going on and 2/3rds of my customers will still only buy one card.

If you looked at 100 of my card orders then this is what you would get,  90 orders of 1 card that can go standard envelope, 6 orders of multiple cards that can go standard envelope, 3 orders of 1 card that is too expensive for standard envelope, and then 1 order of a huge number of low dollar cards that forces package shipping because of the total price.  What I never see is "Expensive card plus cheap card".

Message 13 of 13
latest reply