cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sewing machine case smelt a little musty

I sold a 1980 Bernina 830 record sewing machine for only $500.00 it was worth an easy $650.00 but I am not greedy and wanted to sell it fast not wait 6-months for a sale. I bought the machine untested and bought 15 presser feet and a case , presser knee bar and pedal holder putting together a package. The case had a musty smell I washed it out with mr clean and put charcoal in it. I was going to keep this it was almost mint and ran perfect but I sold it and the very ungrateful buyers only comment .I can"t stand that musty smell and never even gave me positive feedback. I spent many hours finding the machine risking my money on a untested machine. I spent hours cleaning oiling and adjusting the machine and this is all I get it smell musty. I feel like giving them a nice ungrateful feedback because I am **bleep** off. I wish I had lots of money I would have told them to send it back .Face it some people nothing makes them happy.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

You can't give buyers anything other than positive feedback. So if you can't say anything nice don't say it at all.

Why would you? You said that the machine smelled musty yourself. So why are you surprised that the buyer smelled the musty odor too?

Question...if you say "I bought the machine Untested"  then you say "I was going to keep this it was almost mint and ran perfect". How do you know?  Did you actually test it?

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Thats not all you got. They payed you $500.00. Be happy they did not leave you feedback. Are you selling for feedback or greenbacks? Just remember feedback is voluntary.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I hope you made money on the deal.  That's the only reason I sell.   I never expect anything more.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@pristinemachine1222 wrote:

I sold a 1980 Bernina 830 record sewing machine for only $500.00 it was worth an easy $650.00 but I am not greedy and wanted to sell it fast not wait 6-months for a sale.

It sounds to me like it was worth an easy $500, not an easy $650.

If you have to wait 6 months to get $650, that is a hard $650 not an easy $650.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

The I guess in the listing you should have said the case smelled musty when you purchased, but cleaned it to the best of your ability so there may still be a musty smell...

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

If I bought something described as "in pristine condition" and "barely used," I would be unhappy if I opened it up and was hit with a musty smell.  Such smells are almost impossible to eliminate, as you know now if you didn't know it before.

I think the fact that your buyer did not ask for a return, or a partial refund, or neg you means that your buyer is reasonable and you are lucky. 

As for gratitude for all your hard work:  Business is business, and expecting a buyer to be be aware of, care about, or be "grateful," for whatever effort you put into a sale is just silly.

-

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Don't know about sewing machine cases, but, in many cases, the smell can be either lessened or eliminated entirely by a few days sitting out in the hot sun.  And, yes, perhaps that mention of the mustiness might have helped.  However, it was not a negative and the buyer got a good deal.  As others have mentioned, if you are planning on selling on eBay, or anywhere for that matter, you need to grow a thick skin.  Yes, it does seem like you worked pretty hard to make this nice, but all the buyer saw, or smelled, was the mustiness, not your hard work.  You could perhaps ask her if she tried the sitting it out in the sun routine yet.  

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

A few solutions to get rid of the musty smell. I don't think Mr Clean or charcoal are them.

Odo ban has the ability to kill odor causing germs and mildew. But you have to get it on everything which smells musty and that is a difficult task.

Probably would have been better to encapsulate the machine and parts in a confined space and use an ozone generator on it.

But it's sold. You didn't get a negative. Move on. The buyers don't know the trouble you go through or even consider that when making a comment. I'd probably hate musty smelling gear too if I bought it.

But it's over. They aren't returning it. On to the next sale.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

So that "ungrateful" customer gave you $500,

did not leave you negative feedback because of the musty smell

did not request  a refund/return because of the musty smell.

The nerve of them.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

The nerve of them.

And the OP can't even leave negative feedback after all that!  

As an aside:   The next time someone asks why sellers can't neg buyers, I may point to this thread as a good reason why.

-

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

The nerve of them.

As an aside:   The next time someone asks why sellers can't neg buyers, I may point to this thread as a good reason why.

Sellers should be able to leave a negative feedback to ungrateful complainers.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

The nerve of them.

Sellers should be able to leave a negative feedback to ungrateful complainers.

That's right, because as OP said:  "Face it some people nothing makes them happy."

-

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

It's often the glue used to attach the lining that gets that  musty smell.  Trunks, suitcases and such will do that.  That's why old cases should not be used to store collectables. It will outgas fumes that discolor things. Comic books and sports cards suffer the worst.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I commiserate with you.  

Your buyer was an -- uneducated person.
No serious Bernina user -- and most Bernina users are very serious people, when it comes to their Berninas --
no serious Bernina user would gripe about the case  having a musty smell.  OMG.  

Berninas are, in my opinion, exquisite pieces of machinery.  I would never care about their cases. 
The case doesn't sew.  

Some people just want to gripe.  

Message 15 of 23
latest reply