cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Metrics include defects for returns specifically closed by buyer?! Extra fees now?

We received an eBay message titled: "You had high item not as described rates..." 

So I followed the link to 'Download Report' and can see eBay is counting 6 returns that were closed by the buyer because the buyer realized, after the fact, they had opened the return with the wrong reason (should have been Ordered By Mistake) or they figured out the issue. (We sell electronics. Sometimes there is a learning curve and people erroneously assume they received a defective initially, when it is just a case of them not understanding the instructions or the product.) 

Why would eBay count those return cases against us? The buyer closed them, effectively acknowledging they've made a mistake and/or no longer need to return the item. (Or they're closed by the system because the buyer never returns the item, which usually means they changed their mind, made a mistake, or were just trying to angle for a discount...) We are being penalized for something that could EASILY be removed from the metrics.

Those 6 cases take us over the Average threshold and into High. That potentially means more fees for us! Not to mention the fact we have that on our record now. If that is something that could ever play into search results, for instance, we don't want it on our record. If it is something a rep could look at in the future and let it cloud their judgement because they "see a high rate of defects", we don't want it on our record. Basically, if there is any chance of any negative side effect, ever, we don't want it on our record. 

AMZ allows buyers to change their return reason without closing the case. eBay doesn't allow buyers to do this. Why? Common sense says buyers are going to make mistakes. If they want to correct those mistakes so the seller is not negatively impacted, why not let them? I have long maintained the buyer should be able to change their return reason without closing the return. That would solve the problem I'm writing this post about too. (If the final return reason is used in the metrics.) It's long overdue, eBay. AMZ recognized the need for it. Please do the same. Thanks.

velvet@ebay 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Service Metrics include defects for returns specifically closed by buyer?! Extra fees now?

)

Why would eBay count those return cases against us?

Becaue  ebay is hoping to monitize on your metrics, bad or good...

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

That seems to be a situation that warrants a message on the facebook page to me... kinda grey. Have you tried that yet?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

We have been seeing a rash of b..s.. defect errors,  first it was 6 out of nowhere 1 even over 90 days all late shipping/delivery, so did the appeal thing on them all received a canned response on the past 90 day one, so today checked to see again , and now there is another 19 item not received, did not even sell 10 items in the time frame..ehhh wha

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

These are trained eBay employees with some authority.

It's a Chat, so you get a transcript.

Worth arguing.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I had a "wrong item sent" case opened recently (I think it was intended as a NAD). Not sure if this will harm my service metrics as a "wrong item sent", guessing it will. I'm strongly believing this individual decided not to return the item and is keeping it. Had opened the case without even talking to me first. After a week, gave me positive feedback, and is yet to return the item. Again...guessing he'll keep it. Guessing the case was fabricated as a bogus one to begin with... who knows what his intentions were...

Either way, this is a perfect situation where ebay should encourage, or even force a buyer to try to communicate or at least send a message to the seller first. I know the opening of a case provides the time for the two parties to "work it out", but the case is already open.

I know so often on the forum we advise buyers to ignore sellers and file the case anyways, in order for them to avoid a scam, but when the seller is legit and the buyer is just flat out confused or mistaken, it's harming sellers needlessly.

What a waste.... I atleast message sellers before returning (had to do it once, and it was a scam from the start).

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yep, ebay counts any claims of not as described against you, even if the buyer closes the case and never seeks to return their item. I noticed they still show up on my metrics no matter what. They do this so they can charge you more fees for metrics that are clearly outside of your control.

Buyers almost always lie about the reasons for their returns too. ebay knows this, its another pathetic money grab.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@replacementradios 

Yes, eBay counts all of these just because they were opened.  This would include any opened by mistake or meant for another seller's product.  How the cases are handled or concluded is of no consequence, and yes the ultimate consequence is enrollment in final value fee punishment camp.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

well unfortunately it happened to me  as well, some buyer open return "as parts missing" , even before receiving the parcel!

however after their received the parcel buyer closed the return, but the case been added to  my ebay service metrics. 

got another 6 almost similar cases  and my metrics now are on Very High! Ended up leaving extra £480  of fees charged for "item Not as described" cases in one month,,,, So 75% of my returns ware  FAKE return claims or mistakes, by buyers!

is there a way to appeal it? and get the extra fees refunded?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@replacementradios 

Yes, eBay counts all of these just because they were opened.  This would include any opened by mistake or meant for another seller's product.  How the cases are handled or concluded is of no consequence, and yes the ultimate consequence is enrollment in final value fee punishment camp.

Yes they do. What I cannot figure out is if this was an error when they setup the metric collection and measurement or if it was by design to push more sellers into a higher fee situation to increase their revenues. 

One way to take out the competition would be for a competitor to buy several small dollar items from their competition, open INR claims, wait for those to close in the sellers favor then open a return request for NAD. Unethical of course but business is business and companies have done far worse.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I sell items that are over $300 each. They have to be  assembled to things customers have.  Sometimes they have issues.  EVERY time i see a return request i contact the buyer.  Out of 15 returns 8 are either closed by the buyer, never returned at all, or a “case” was closed in my favor.  How TF do these cases still count against me.  Ebay is taking 5% off every sale I sell even if it’s not an item that was ever returned. I can list a new item and if it sells they take 5%. So thats an additional $20ish dollars ebay stealing. I had an “outside source” read over there service metrics policy. NOWHERE does it say if it was closed by the buyer, buyer didnt return the item, or a case was closed in my favor it still counts against you. Hmmm class action anyone. I sell ALOT and they took an additional 3244.16 in fees just for this in one month.  I wish i could post pics here. Maybe i will do a video and post the link.  

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Looking forward to your video. 

Posting ID
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Old thread from 2022 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply