cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Invoices

Ebay now no longer trusts sellers to send invoices unless we need to make alterations in the shipping costs. I guess this is punishment for those of us who chose not to require immediate payment. To make this new policy even more laughable is the new message in red that appears when you try to send your own invoice:

Send an invoice only if shipping adjustments are needed. We will SPEND payment reminders to the buyer on your behalf.

The idiots who don't trust us to send our own invoices can't even be trusted themselves to use the correct English word when admonishing us! I suggest they try to SEND those payment reminders instead of SPENDing them! OR perhaps simply leave us alone in the first place!

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: Sending Invoices

I am a full time seller and have sold on and off since the 90s. I have two large accounts and I think I have sent all of 3 invoices this year. 

Invoices are like packing slips and unneeded step that is more likely to cause problems than solve them.

Message 76 of 94
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@carlmarxx wrote:

Sooner then later  ,These policy change's will comeback to bite  the folks running ebay  because members  sellers & buyers can take  only so much  and head out the door. 

Help me to understand why you say this @carlmarxx .  I really do want to understand.  Ebay has been sending invoices for around 17 years now.  What kind of issue is this going to cause to stop sending duplicate invoices to a buyer?  I am sincerely asking so I can better understand your point of view and that of others.

@carlmarxx 

You responded to my post above, but you didn't answer my question.  I would really like to hear your point of view.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 77 of 94
latest reply

@onefootflippers wrote:

I am a full time seller and have sold on and off since the 90s. I have two large accounts and I think I have sent all of 3 invoices this year. 

Invoices are like packing slips and unneeded step that is more likely to cause problems than solve them.

This reminds me that the argument about invoices is about as unwinnable as that about packing slips.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 78 of 94
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@onefootflippers wrote:

This reminds me that the argument about invoices is about as unwinnable as that about packing slips.

Add who should leave feedback first to the never ending argument, but at least packing slips & feedback don't have the potential to cost you like locking in the shipping does on invoices. 

Message 79 of 94
latest reply

Once  the  buyer  has ask for combined shipping  request  to their  seller, that    is when eBay's   auto payment reminder needs to be turned off  , while waiting  for seller to send the invoice .    

Message 80 of 94
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

Once  the  buyer  has ask for combined shipping  request  to their  seller, that    is when eBay's   auto payment reminder needs to be turned off  , while waiting  for seller to send the invoice .    

@carlmarxx 

What?

This change has NOTHING to do with the ability to send combined invoices.  Sellers can still do that whenever they have the need.

And why would a seller way beyond 3 days to respond to a buyer with a combined invoice so that Ebay would send the buyer payment reminders???  I don't understand why any seller would do that.

Message 81 of 94
latest reply

Shipping included  : i.e.  the Free shipping  gimmick  ,when  a Zone 8/9  cost is used  for all U.S.  buyer's by zones  . there case's where seller needs to redo  the first invoice  that ebay sent  , with reduced  shipping to zones  2,3,4,5  and 6  if called for  based on the weight  and  size .   Now  with USPS  dropping commercial  rate discount    eBay  sellers  will have  to do their own shipping  invoicing  especially   if seller  does  the shipping included  : i.e.  Free shipping   . So it will be pointless for ebay to send auto invoices .  

Message 82 of 94
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

Shipping included  : i.e.  the Free shipping  gimmick  ,when  a Zone 8/9  cost is used  for all U.S.  buyer's by zones  . there case's where seller needs to redo  the first invoice  that ebay sent  , with reduced  shipping to zones  2,3,4,5  and 6  if called for  based on the weight  and  size .   Now  with USPS  dropping commercial  rate discount    eBay  sellers  will have  to do their own shipping  invoicing  especially   if seller  does  the shipping included  : i.e.  Free shipping   . So it will be pointless for ebay to send auto invoices .  

Again @carlmarxx this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.  You are trying to complicate it with other issues.  The subject of this thread has nothing to do with zones or free shipping.  It is a SIMPLE change that Ebay has made.  They don't want sellers sending out an invoice after something has been purchased because Ebay has done that for years.  It is likely they got complaints from buyers about the redundant emails.

With that said it does NOT prevent a seller from sending invoices for combined shipping or to extend any other kind of discount to the buyer.

Free Shipping isn't a "gimmick", it is a Marketing Tool used for years before Ebay finally allowed it.  It was started many years ago by the Marketing Team for Target.  

Sellers can not RAISE the price of the shipping charged on the listing just because shipping to that buyer's zone is more expensive.  This is true for a couple reasons.  One, the seller does NOT know what the ship to address is going to be until the buyer PAYS.  Second if you charge $5 for shipping on a listing and you discover it is going to cost you $6, sellers are not allowed to raise the price of shipping AFTER the purchase.

Again, if the seller needs to discount the purchase for any reason, the seller CAN send the invoice.  This thread is long and I have to admit I'm surprised that you are not understanding the basics of this change that was completely covered in the first few posts.

When is USPS dropping the Commercial discount?  

Most sellers that do stated shipping do an average or charge enough to cover it if the item is shipped to the most expensive zone.  What we don't get to do is change the purchase agreement AFTER the buyer purchases something to increase the shipping that was charged.  We can give them a discount on the shipping, but it is against the rules to increase it.

Message 83 of 94
latest reply

My last useless attempt to remind people that the point of this post was not to spark a war about sending invoices but to point out eBay's continued roll-out of "fixes" that are unnecessary without any advance warning and in this case with a stupid spelling mistake included.

I am glad that I pointed it out both verbally to eBay and in text form here as they fixed the spelling mistake within 24 hours and have seemingly withdrawn the policy entirely within 72 hours of my complaint.

So those of you still arguing with each other about who gets to send or not send invoices and the pillars of creation that are toppled because of it can stop since it appears to be a moot point.

POWER TO FREEDOM OF CHOICE!

Message 84 of 94
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Packing slips at least serve an actual function, so they have that in their favor. Invoices? Not so much.

Message 85 of 94
latest reply

Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but eBay has crawfished on this policy and stated they will now allow sellers to once again send invoices. 

Posting ID
Message 86 of 94
latest reply

See post #84

Message 87 of 94
latest reply

You keep posting that a Seller can give a discount on an Invoice for other than the Shipping Charges, and that is incorrect. You can only discount the shipping amount stated on the invoice, there is no way to give a buyer a discount on the items purchased or anything else through an Invoice.

I just went through this problem yesterday being shuffled through 6 different eBay CSR's for over an hour that could NOT figure out how to discount the invoice the Buyer requested except for the Shipping. I wanted to give the Buyer a one time 10% discount to reward them for their past loyalty, which came to $40, but eBay systems kicked it out as an "Invalid Format", and had to be an amount less than the $14 shipping charge, which was useless. There is no other way to discount anything else because we all tried several workarounds, none of them worked. I already had combined shipping on my listings and the Buyer was charged correctly for the shipping, so the Invoice is useless to discount the amount I wanted to give the Buyer.

eBay could easily fix this, but they are too busy making unnecessary changes to other functions on this platform that weren't broken.

Message 88 of 94
latest reply

@chefd2007 wrote:

You keep posting that a Seller can give a discount on an Invoice for other than the Shipping Charges, and that is incorrect. You can only discount the shipping amount stated on the invoice, there is no way to give a buyer a discount on the items purchased or anything else through an Invoice.

I just went through this problem yesterday being shuffled through 6 different eBay CSR's for over an hour that could NOT figure out how to discount the invoice the Buyer requested except for the Shipping. I wanted to give the Buyer a one time 10% discount to reward them for their past loyalty, which came to $40, but eBay systems kicked it out as an "Invalid Format", and had to be an amount less than the $14 shipping charge, which was useless. There is no other way to discount anything else because we all tried several workarounds, none of them worked. I already had combined shipping on my listings and the Buyer was charged correctly for the shipping, so the Invoice is useless to discount the amount I wanted to give the Buyer.

eBay could easily fix this, but they are too busy making unnecessary changes to other functions on this platform that weren't broken.

@chefd2007 

Below you can see you can give a discount on the invoice OR you can change the shipping selection.  Now the question of should you be changing the shipping is completely different than can you change it.

This pic is from @mr_lincoln  post:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sending-Invoices/td-p/34096936

mam98031_0-1700250430766.png

As to the problem you had giving a discount on an invoice, without knowing exactly what you entered and where, IDK what the issue was for you.  

This current change [if it still exists] that prevents you from just sending a plain old invoice, no adjustments would have absolutely NOTHING to do with your current problem regarding issuing the discount. 

IDK that anything is broken that Ebay needs to fix.  Sure maybe there is a problem, but I do not know anything about it, so I can't help, sorry.

Message 89 of 94
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@chefd2007 wrote:

@chefd2007 

Below you can see you can give a discount on the invoice OR you can change the shipping selection.  Now the question of should you be changing the shipping is completely different than can you change it.

This pic is from @mr_lincoln  post:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sending-Invoices/td-p/34096936

mam98031_0-1700250430766.png

As to the problem you had giving a discount on an invoice, without knowing exactly what you entered and where, IDK what the issue was for you.  

This current change [if it still exists] that prevents you from just sending a plain old invoice, no adjustments would have absolutely NOTHING to do with your current problem regarding issuing the discount. 

IDK that anything is broken that Ebay needs to fix.  Sure maybe there is a problem, but I do not know anything about it, so I can't help, sorry.

You are correct, you don't know and you're not helping. My post initially referred only to YOU stating more than once that a discount can be given for OTHER THAN THE SHIPPING AMOUNT, and that is blatant misinformation !!!! I posted my recent experience to show that it can't be done, and 6 eBay CSR's couldn't do it either, but you always think you know everything ( and you don't ).  Get a Buyer to request an invoice from you and then you can better understand that your statement is wrong by experiencing it personally, rather than trying to bolster your position on the Leaderboard by commenting on every post for likes.

I buy from wholesalers regularly, and when I place an order, they send me a revised invoice with a discount depending on the amount I purchased, and no reason why eBay can't allow the same option on their invoice.

I CLEARLY stated that the shipping amount was $14, which appeared in the "Adjustments" box highlighted in red shown at the bottom of that screenshot, and that amount was generated by eBay. That is the ONLY place on the Invoice you can enter any adjustment/discount, and ONLY for an amount less than $14 on my invoice. I could only change the $14 to $0, and that doesn't cover the $40 I wanted to discount the buyer. There is NO WAY to discount the invoice for anything other than the shipping amount entered by eBay, but you keep saying you can. Read and comprehend before you post ! 

Message 90 of 94
latest reply