cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling

I sold out of an item, yet a few weeks later a buyer is able to purchase that item I sold out of? Then I get in trouble with Ebay because I have to refund the item .(out of stock) Then I get a email that I'm below seller standard, then they limit my listings. This has happened to me several times . What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Selling

I have not experienced this well known phenomena myself.

We see quite a few sellers complaining of listings being magically sold again after selling out.

I do use the Out Of Stock options on my listings, for whatever that might be worth.

With all the reports we see here, it raises questions and what to do about it. Today I had two listings sell out so I ended the listings. I never did that before right after the sale, but with all the reports we see here, it raises a bit of paranoia.....

Posting ID
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ghost listing.   Had several of them.  Impossible to find until you sell one.   Ebay insists there is no issue despite all the sellers this is happening to.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@thisnthat37 wrote:

I sold out of an item, yet a few weeks later a buyer is able to purchase that item I sold out of? Then I get in trouble with Ebay because I have to refund the item .(out of stock) Then I get a email that I'm below seller standard, then they limit my listings. This has happened to me several times . What am I doing wrong?

Ghost listings have been a problem on Ebay for years.  You need to contact Ebay and let them know the listing was sold out but somehow got listed again by Ebay which is how the buyer was able to purchase it.

With that said, the ONE transaction with a Cancellation for OOS did NOT cause you to become Below Standard in your ranking as a seller on Ebay for a few reasons.

First, one transaction can't do that to you.  You would have to have a few others.  And Ebay doesn't even evaluate sellers until the 20th of each month for the period ending the previous month.

So that means this cancellation you did on this transaction won't even count against you until the November 20th eval when they eval you for the period ending October.

So the email you got was about other issues you have on your selling account.  I strongly suggest you go and take a look at your Seller Dashboard and see if you have some issues there.

https://sellerstandards.ebay.com/dashboard?region=US

Come back and tell us what you see.  We can help you, but we first have to find out what made you go Below Standard.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Those ghost listings have been, as others noted, a problem for decades.

Because I sell one-offs (books and sewing patterns), I find that occasionally putting all my lots in alpha-numeric order, which is a one click operation, and then looking for duplicated listings is helpful.

I usually find from four to eight duplicated listings and often spot a listing I think I may have already sold.

The latter I take down, add a note that it may be a duplicate, and check whether or not it is actually in stock as soon as possible.

There is a further advantage to this.  I sometimes see an item with a spelling mistake, or overpriced, or underpriced, and can tweak the listing.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I also have never experienced this.

Just lucky I guess?

However  I did have a mysterious quantity change the other day.

A item that I know I only had one of,  the quantity read "2".

Thankfully i caught the error and corrected it.

I chalked it off to human error.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

"I usually find from four to eight duplicated listings and often spot a listing I think I may have already sold."

wow!  

There are a lot of goofy things going on.  I've found I make a change to a picture which is reflected in the listing, but when the listing is returned from a search, the image doesn't include the change.  When I went in and trimmed an edge, the picture then looked right in the search return.   Its like there are multiple servers being used for single listing details that don't talk to each other.   

Normally I would work with the vendor to resolve the issues, but this isn't a business platform and such collaboration is not wanted. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply