cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling knock off Lego figures

I recently bought a lot of close to a hundred minifigs, all sealed in individual plastic packaging. I thought they were real LEGO minifigs but upon further inspection, turns out they ae knock-offs... many branded as LEBO(lol).  I would never be use the word LEGO in the ad, but could I list these on Ebay as simply building figures, and maybe in the description say something like "Please take note: These ARE NOT made by a popular name brand line"? Would the listing get vero'ed/kicked off and my account be in danger of some sort of suspension no matter how generic I worded things and avoided mentioning the LEGO brand in the listing?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Selling knock off Lego figures

@leareamc wrote:

I honestly don't see how LEGO can get a listing taken down that doesn't claim they are LEGO or use the name LEGO so part of me want to believe it should be ok to list them, but I am likely not going to even try. Can't take them back, it was a garage sale.

They can easily get it taken down if they see it as a counterfeit that is designed to fool a customer into thinking they are the real thing.  Just because you don't use the term Lego doesn't mean that they can't find it , realize it is a knockoff and get it taken down.  

Personally I would throw them away and consider them a loss and a cost of doing business.  I know I have bought some things that I later realized were fakes and threw them away upon inspection before listing.  Heck, I have a pair of "hey dude" shoes on the floor by my desk right now that are headed to the trash can because I can't be sure that they are real.  It happens.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I would never be use the word LEGO in the ad, but could I list these on Ebay 

It is not legal for the company who made them to sell them on eBay, so it is not legal for you to sell them here either. 

The manner in which you acquired them does not change anything. 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Please destroy them, don't even give them away.  If they are counterfeit, they shouldn't even be "out there" for someone else to be fooled. 

If you bought them at a garage sale, hopefully you got them for a cheap price.  I'll bet the person selling them at the garage sale knew they were counterfeit and that's why they were selling them at a garage sale.  They were probably just happy to be rid of them if they knew they couldn't legitimately sell them anywhere else.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Folks I am definitely not going to list them. There is at least 70-80 of them but being knock-offs, I could probably only expect at most $30 for the lost if someone actually wanted to buy them... certainly not worth the risk. This was at the sale of someone who owns a local geek store. Not sure why in the world they had acquired these particular KOs, but they did have a ton of other smalls like charms, necklaces, pins, tiny figures, etc. that you probably were not officially licensed either.  I see those types of things in stores all the time, but I can't imagine they actually put "LEBO" stuff in their store. I can't complain though, only paid $10 for the lot so I'll just call that a tiny loss, but at the same sale, I got a ton of completely legitimate, new sealed deadstock fantasy board games sets and card sets that I am going to make a ton off of. 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@leareamc wrote:

Folks I am definitely not going to list them. There is at least 70-80 of them but being knock-offs, I could probably only expect at most $30 for the lost if someone actually wanted to buy them... certainly not worth the risk. 

If they're clean and otherwise okay for playing with, I would just donate them someplace: Church Sunday school, day care, Goodwill, etc.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

I like the idea of the Halloween handouts.  I give out fortune cookies at  Halloween and they are very popular.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply