cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling fees

Is it just me,or does anyone else feel that eBay is ripping people off? Whenever I sell an item,I always charge actual shipping fees.Ebay then bases its selling fees on the total amount of the order( selling price of the item,AND shipping fees).In my opinion,they should only base their selling fees on the actual selling price of the item. They should not include shipping fees,to calculate the final selling fees.  When doing so,we are getting ripped off!!  I just sold an item for $555.00. The actual shipping fee is $120.00. Instead of charging selling fees for $555.00,they are charging selling fees on $675.00!!!!! How in hell,can that be fair to sellers??? I don't use ebay shipping,so they should not even consider adding actual shipping fees,to calculate their final selling fees. What a scam they have going.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Selling fees

@richd860 wrote:

wrong.I list my stuff as local pickup,however,I do give the option to ship at buyers cost.

I'm not wrong.  I was however unaware that you only use Local Pick up.  I see now that on some listings you have local pick up.  But that still does not make me wrong.  On other listings you have that are NOT local pick up, the payment from the buyer has to be process by Ebay's Managed Payments, you have no choice in that if you want to sell on this site.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 38
latest reply

Stop charging the exact fee.  Remember ebay is taking at least 13.25% of the shipping fee. Learn to use calculated shipping and add a "handling fee."

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

Stop charging the exact fee.  Remember ebay is taking at least 13.25% of the shipping fee. Learn to use calculated shipping and add a "handling fee."

I'd just add that it should be a reasonable fee.  

If you don't want to charge a handling charge, you can roll those costs into the price of your product.  But absolutely sellers need to charge a buyer for the fees we have to pay AND for the materials we buy to ship stuff out.  It is all a cost that should be covered by the price you sell your items for including shipping.

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

Like any other site that sells postage / carrier costs, they do make a little money on each of them on the back end.  If they didn't, there would be no reason for sites to exists that only sell postage/carrier costs. 

Thanks for the correction. I of course realize that eBay probably makes something on the shipping other than the fees they charge on it but who knows what that amount is other than those internal to eBay's accounting section. 

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Like any other site that sells postage / carrier costs, they do make a little money on each of them on the back end.  If they didn't, there would be no reason for sites to exists that only sell postage/carrier costs. 

Thanks for the correction. I of course realize that eBay probably makes something on the shipping other than the fees they charge on it but who knows what that amount is other than those internal to eBay's accounting section. 

We have wondered that for years.  No one that I've spoke to has any answers or aren't willing to share the info.  But Ebay has every right to be paid for the their serves rendered.  I take no issue with that.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

EBAY is really starting to Suck big time. they want to promote your items for additional %  to sell between the shipping and Comish there is nothing left on the bone, 

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

They are charging to many fees on fees including shipping cost , they are ripping people off big time.  now they want to "Promote"  your listing  for a double % there is nothing left on the bone for items . i rather sell on Amazon.    

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

@itflipsthrift wrote:

They are charging to many fees on fees including shipping cost , they are ripping people off big time.  now they want to "Promote"  your listing  for a double % there is nothing left on the bone for items . i rather sell on Amazon.    

There may be a misunderstanding here.  Promoted Listings is a Tool Ebay offers.  Sellers can use it of not, it is completely up to the seller.  Many sites have such tools for their sellers.  If you don't want to use it, it is simple, don't use it.

As to fees on shipping costs that we have been paying for IDK, 12 years or so.  It is industry standard.  If you go to Amazon you will pay fees on shipping too, so I'm unsure as to why you think this is different or should be different here.

Message 38 of 38
latest reply