cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling computer to brand new eBayer

I just have a bad feeling about this, I am selling an Alienware Alpha PC that works perfectly fine but doesn't have a hard drive. I got a few questions from buyers and then someone who just signed up that day decided to buy it. I have emailed them a few times asking if they read the item description and realize they need to install a hard drive for the system to be useable but they haven't replied to either of my emails. Do I just ship the item to the buyer or wait for them to reply so I can be sure they did read the whole auction before buying? I always worry about selling electronics to people with no history but I understand nobody would have a history if sellers didn't sell to new members lol.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Selling computer to brand new eBayer

I hope you have it listed as for parts not working instead of used.

Why would you not install a hard drive with OS into the machine before selling it. It may save you a lot of grief and headaches with an INAD possible for a buyer to open..

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

Why would you not install a hard drive with OS into the machine before selling it. It may save you a lot of grief and headaches with an INAD possible for a buyer to open..

All of this is irrelevant.

What you need to be most concerned with OP is that you actually RECEIVE the Paypal payment and be sure it is cleared before you ship.

A lot of foreigners sign up with a new ebay account and are taking advantage of a glitch on the ebay mobile app that encourages a seller to ship an item even when the payment has not cleared.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

What you need to be most concerned with OP is that you actually RECEIVE the Paypal payment and be sure it is cleared before you ship.

A lot of foreigners sign up with a new ebay account and are taking advantage of a glitch on the ebay mobile app that encourages a seller to ship an item even when the payment has not cleared.

Which is why it is even more important that this computer be listed in the for parts/ not working category.

And why a seller needs to do his due dilligence in going to his paypal account (using his computer) to make sure the money is in there and it is OK to shop.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

Which is why it is even more important that this computer be listed in the for parts/ not working category.

And why a seller needs to do his due dilligence in going to his paypal account (using his computer) to make sure the money is in there and it is OK to shop.

He should have just put the old hard drive back if he did not want to include the SSD drive with it. This will end up a nightmare waiting to happen and the buyer most certainly will take advantage of this whole mess.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Personally, I would cancel the sale, put the HD back into it and sell it as a fully functional unit.

The hit will be cheaper in the long run.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

He should have just put the old hard drive back if he did not want to include the SSD drive with it. This will end up a nightmare waiting to happen and the buyer most certainly will take advantage of this whole mess.

I agree which is why sellers should think about it a bit before listing an item to see if it actually makes sense to do so.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

Personally, I would cancel the sale, put the HD back into it and sell it as a fully functional unit.

Yes, but if the buyer does not agree then it would result in a defect.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

OP, do not include other items in your listing. That Zelda Switch game should not have been included in the picture.

You only ship the item if the money is in your Paypal account.

I hope everything turns out ok for you.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

That is what I meant by hit (defect). Buyer does not have to agree to cancel.

Taking a defect is cheaper than trying to fix a mess the OP created.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

That is what I meant by hit (defect). Buyer does not have to agree to cancel.

Taking a defect is cheaper than trying to fix a mess the OP created.

Yes, you know what a hit means, but not everyone else does or how it affects their account.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

High scam catergory item to a new buyer hahaha what could go wrong?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

It isn't "used", it's nothing but components. Cancel and take the defect, or mail it out and wait for the SNAD - then pay for the return and refund.

Used:  The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for all the reply's. You all know what you're doing and I appreciate all the information. My listing was done poorly, the picture had an item in it that wasn't a part of the sale and I would rather deal with the defect since I rarely sell anymore anyway rather than possibly have the guy either not be happy or take the computer and try and scam me. I did have the money cleared in PayPal but I refunded it after reading your comments. My luck it would end up being reported as something entirely different being in the box and I lose the PC and also have to return the money anyway. Not worth it... What does one defect do to my seller status? I was never asked if he agreed, I refunded the guy through PayPal.

EDIT

I also just went into eBay and cancelled the order as well...

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@amextreme wrote:

Thanks for all the reply's. You all know what you're doing and I appreciate all the information. My listing was done poorly, the picture had an item in it that wasn't a part of the sale and I would rather deal with the defect since I rarely sell anymore anyway rather than possibly have the guy either not be happy or take the computer and try and scam me. I did have the money cleared in PayPal but I refunded it after reading your comments. My luck it would end up being reported as something entirely different being in the box and I lose the PC and also have to return the money anyway. Not worth it... What does one defect do to my seller status? I was never asked if he agreed, I refunded the guy through PayPal.

One defect alone is okay, it's when you get 2 you have to start to worry and 3 you REALLY have to worry because your next one = selling privileges revoked.

On the other hand, I read your listing and noted that you said the original hard drive that came with it was sluggish.. do you still have that and could you still include? I'm assuming not... but if so that may help you sell it better.

Good luck going forward.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply