cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers and Buyers Beware one reason why your sales are suffering

2nd Buyer today messages me "I tried through my ebay cart but wouldn't allow me to ask for combined shipping?"

This is the latest one of over 300 instances (documented) of issues with the cart where a seller nor buyer can complete a successful accurate total. and either gave up or was forced by ebay to pay shipping(and additional ebay fees) on each item rather than letting the seller actually combine the order or even allow the buyer to "request" and new combined total...I have been over and over with them on this ebay has checked my settings in my store and say they all check out ok. I spend the time it takes to show them step by step for them to recreate the issue which they do and see there is a problem and write "IT" tickets to send upstream to those who created the problems....YET in over 2 years NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE, and we keep losing sales....In this economy it is hard enough to keep sales going, but when you pay ebay to hinder your sales....that is a bigger problem. 

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Sellers and Buyers Beware one reason why your sales are suffering

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Well of course that works with FS.

But if you didn't offer FS you'd be having the same issues combining shipping even using 3rd party shipping sites.

But I don't have the same issues as the OP is complaining about. With my 3rd party shipping, I haven't had even one combined-shipping difficulty with my buyers since dumping eBay's shipping/labeling system about 15 years ago, and I've had a LOT of combined-shipping orders. I attribute this to the wording I put into all of my listings, whether they are free shipping or buyer pays: 

Combined Shipping Savings: Please use Ebay's Shopping Cart feature! ... We monitor all multiple-item orders, and will refund any over-payment of shipping costs.

The amount of extra time to do this is inconsequential and quite streamlined. It works great for me and my buyers and so far has been seamless.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

@ittybitnot ,

A great number of my buyers buy more than one item because of the wide selection in my market and combined shipping discount. So, buyers definitely know how to use a cart. 

I rarely get request to update shipping. Rarely meaning once a month or so. The ones I get usually are from the buyers that want a further discount on the shipping charges which I always politely deny. Ninety nine times out of a 100 times those buyers will still buy.

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

@quicksilverdiecast wrote:

2nd Buyer today messages me "I tried through my ebay cart but wouldn't allow me to ask for combined shipping?"

This is the latest one of over 300 instances (documented) of issues with the cart where a seller nor buyer can complete a successful accurate total. and either gave up or was forced by ebay to pay shipping(and additional ebay fees) on each item rather than letting the seller actually combine the order or even allow the buyer to "request" and new combined total...I have been over and over with them on this ebay has checked my settings in my store and say they all check out ok. I spend the time it takes to show them step by step for them to recreate the issue which they do and see there is a problem and write "IT" tickets to send upstream to those who created the problems....YET in over 2 years NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE, and we keep losing sales....In this economy it is hard enough to keep sales going, but when you pay ebay to hinder your sales....that is a bigger problem. 

I reported this problem in 2015 and was promised a ticket would be open and it would be fixed soon.

I've given up on them fixing it. I have to explain to buyers why eBay's shopping cart doesn't work (sometimes), many people pay too much and get partial refunds. At least if I give the partial refund once, they trust me enough to shop again.

C.

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Until Ebay adds the Request Total option to the app, buyers should use the web site.

But even then sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

It's been that way ever since they first implemented the cart.

This^^^^^^

The issues with the non-functional Request Total button (desktop) goes back to 2012 when eBay decided to "help" sellers avoid non-payment situations. As others mentioned the App has never had this option which was not so much of a problem 14 years ago but definitely is today.

The only good thing they have done about it is that 2 years ago eBay finally started refunding fees on partial refunds to buyers.

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

"I reported this problem in 2015 and was promised a ticket would be open and it would be fixed soon.

I've given up on them fixing it. I have to explain to buyers why eBay's shopping cart doesn't work (sometimes), many people pay too much and get partial refunds. At least if I give the partial refund once, they trust me enough to shop again."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I as well have repeatedly reported this since they stuffed the cart in there. Walked a number of upper level techs thru it and everytime they see and understand it and recreated it yet do nothing to fix it.

The 2nd issue with it is as you explained about the buyers who trust you to refund the overage. In the first place we should not have to do what once was able to be done, and can easily be fixed. And the percentage of buyers here on ebay who already dislike many aspects, is very small when it comes to just paying ridiculous shipping charges and HOPE the seller is honest and will refund them...I always insert myself and ask what would I do....anything that may involve money, regardless of the amount, I am skeptical....even with ones where the transaction for just 1 item went smoothly you have to keep an eye on.  I do not like second guessing anything when it comes to a transaction involving money and the faith in the one who is selling it...(This is where feedback comes into play which ebay has screwed up as well and misleads due to lack of transparency)....

You state

I've given up on them fixing it. I have to explain to buyers why eBay's shopping cart doesn't work (sometimes), many people pay too much and get partial refunds. At least if I give the partial refund once, they trust me enough to shop again."

That is well and fine....but how do you explain it to those whom you never knew was there and simply walked away?  You can't and you have just now lost a sale....how many sales will you or have you lost...you will never know as ebay will NEVER tell you, as they know their phones will begin lighting up....so ebay skates , and you take the heat and the loss and rub salt in the wound you are paying ebay to hinder your sales.....call me crazy.....

On the buyers end of overpaying and being refunded aspect you are only winning a partial percentage of sales....Let me asking you this....I am a buyer at your store and have found 6 different items and put them in my cart...and then try to figure out what steps need to be taken, but can find no clear understanding, so as anyone of common sense would think being in your store with your cart that YOU the seller would have some kind of notice and just wait until you provide and answer or direction or assume that YOU can combine my order(that is what the cart is there in the first place isn't it, why else would you need a cart). Well after awhile Me, being the customer, gets tired of waiting for YOU to respond, and figure that YOU are either ignoring me or will not combine shipping...and upon abandoning the cart I would blame you and most likely never come back as well as any kind of positive review to others by word of mouth...YET ALL THIS TIME you the seller have NO idea I had a cart nor would you have ever known you just lost that sale....NOW in your overview in the seller hub there is a box column with the header "ORDERS", at the bottom of that box the last ine states "Orders eligible for combined purchases "  now one would think, ebay leaves you to assume, as no clear instruction are provided, that it would indicate as intended to work it would have indicated to the seller, there was a buyer waiting for his order to be combined.....with that being said NEVER ONCE HAS IT INDICATED ANYTHING EVER!!!!!! even though there have been a FEW who managed to get the items onto my sold items unpaid so I can actually combine the order accurately and still was never indicated as intended. Apparently more noise needs to be made by more sellers, so that ebay pays attention and fixes it.

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

EXACTLY!!!!

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

Respectfully., You are basing shipping not on the accuracy of the combined weight, but on the value of the item...which is neither accurate no fair to the buyer...if that is how you choose that is fine as well....but if I walk in USPS with a bag full of items to ship and hand all to the clerk, they do not ask me the value (other than if insurance is involved) of each item and base shipping costs on the amount of money and item is worth? No they find the best box, package it carefully weigh it and zip code to zip determine the combined shipping cost that way....

Free shipping is a joke as everyone knows shipping is not free, never once have I walked into USPS and the sign said free shipping day! and with free shipping everytime there is something causes a ripple in the astral plane the price of shipping goes up and then you either update everything, or lose a little bit more money...may work great if you sell and maintain a handful of items But not when your items number in the 1.000's.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

Agreed!   It finally appears that both buyers and sellers are becoming more aware of these issues and both need to continue to make it known....it will be the only way it will ever get change or scrapped is when the voices are loud enough someone begins hearing them....as ebay thinks everything is hunky dory and could careless if they think only one or 2 people have this issue....well if you are a seller YOU HAVE these issues...we all do...ebay does not discriminate....

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

3/30/2024

Today's Buyer Report(s)

#1 "Do you offer combined discounted shipping on multiple items.
Thanks. Jeff"  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2. Is a case where the buyer purchased AND PAID FOR 10 items, 9 of which are decals which would weigh no more than 4oz together...and a wiper washer pump (small) at 10oz. so once packaged may fall into the 1-2lb bracket in a 10 x6 x6 box and going to New Mexico with insurance should be roughly 10.00-14.00 shipping cost to the buyer....BUT IN THE CASE EBAY CHARGED THE FOLLOWING: 

Keep in mind the buyer is also being jabbed on sales tax which is included in the total sale as well as ebay generating fees off the 57.90 in shipping.....and then in note with the order is states from the buyer...

"Buyer note
hey it seems the shipping could be combined here as they are decals and a pump on this order, but Ebay locks me out on this- can you help on the shipping any? Thanks! Kevin"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(while I appreciate this buyer overpaying 40.00+ on shipping and trusting in me, if it were I, I would have laughed and simply left thinking the seller was nuts or ripping me off)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What your buyer paid

Item subtotal (10)
$136.24
Shipping
$57.90
Sales tax*
$14.68"
Message 24 of 41
latest reply

The only way for it to change from a low priority is for everyone to continually save each transaction and message concerning the cart failure messages from buyers as well as when you refund the buyer ebay sends you that notice(2 of them) and save each one of those as it backs up what you had to do...save all this documentation into a new folder in your messages and call it ebays failed system....this way when you have to present your case you have all your ducks in a row that they cannot dispute...to date since Oct of 2023...I have just shy of 320 different cases of the issues with the cart involving the customer.  AND KEEP POSTING THESE ISSUES YOU HAVE WITH THE CART HERE.

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

I appreciate your input on this and will look into it over the weekend and if indeed eliminates ebay's involvement in the shipping end I AM GAME...the less ebay interferes with things the better...It is obvious they know nothing about shipping and good customers service there of, and should stay in their own lane.

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

You are correct sir, and I wasn't a crabby old man till ebay got a case of the stupids....I too have actually gotten EIS shipping combined without me having to do anything other that review it pull it and ship it...isn't that how it is supposed to work? And the shipping total was close enough not to quibble......whoever worked on that system and hopefully fixed it...gets a raise and works on the USA side now....

The one problem with the cart is it is only programmed for so much (it brains) and ebay continually comes up with new marketing ploys and tosses them against the wall...with NO consideration at how the cart will react....(more or less it overpowers its "Brains" and then gets wacky or defaults into a mode that blocks everything in a take it or leave mode as far as combining items....This is a problem when one does not clean up the platform of the garbage and keep tossing more into it rather than updating the platform...they keep tweaking it and put band aids on it....and expect it to work.....the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.....and yes I am insane by reason of ebay.

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

I offer no discounts on shipping (yes store settings is on for combining orders) as that is for me to determine once a buyer has his items in a cart, the only variable is the price they paid for the item, in this case the bracket has no "best offer" which is where the problem starts when ebay added the "best offer" when you respond to a buyers message and confuses the cart into thinking the item has been offered a discounted...while the models car parts are used and most have a best offer....my point is in this case what does the end price an item sells for whether it was 15.00 and I accepted 13.00 offer make any difference! So what changed that made the very same item uncombinable? NOTHING BUT THE ITEM PRICE! #1 I have to ask the reasoning behind that and have asked the techs and the only answer is it is policy...but never show or explain the policy....what are you hiding ebay? So if I go in and revise the item's buy it now price to reflect the sellers offered price...no problem we are good to go......who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?   So I offered a discount....does not ebay promote this aspect to generate more sales? AND as for the pop up window you show stating I have already "OFFERED" a discount for these items"  I have NOT and even if I did what difference does it make on how much the items will weigh packaged together....it is apples and oranges....My best answer to all these issues is as I have said before....scrap the cart...we will all make more money, eliminate to stupidity, stop pushing buyers away...and it does not take a rocket scientist on eithers part to figure out.....

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

3/30/2024

and here is another one just in:

"Buyer's note: can you please refund shipping/combined shipping as we discussed? thanks much"

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

Pushing buyers away 

Re: buyer overpaying $40 + on shipping

Realize that if ebay wants seller's to maximize sales, the issue would likely be better addressed .

Easy to attribute poor sales to the present economy

Message 30 of 41
latest reply