cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers CAN Opt Out of the Auto-Pay if Offer is accepted feature. Here is how!

I found out how, as a Seller, you can opt out of the "Auto-Pay" if offer is accepted feature.

It is on the Buyer Management page
https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Scroll down to the bottom and there is a section:
Buyer Payment Requirements

There is a checkbox for:
Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Mine was checked, which must have been the default when the added the check box.

I unchecked it, then click submit to save the change.

No more Auto-Pay if accepted from my 2nd account when trying to make an offer on one of my items.

So at least now Sellers, if they want to, can Opt-Out.  The crazy thing is nobody at eBay Customer Support knows how to Opt-Out.  I asked at least a dozen different CSRs.

I Hope You're Having A Fantastic Holiday Season!
Sincerely,
Bruce "ImaPaqRat" Fisher
Remember: People don't stop playing because they grow old; they grow old because they stop playing! So, NEVER STOP PLAYING!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Sellers CAN Opt Out of the Auto-Pay if Offer is accepted feature. Here is how!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I unchecked it as well.

Thanks for the info.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Re: Sellers CAN Opt Out of the Auto-Pay if Offer is accepted feature. Here is how!

@imapaqrat 

@katzrul15

It look like a done deal to me they changed the policy and

also cut the time from 48 hours to 24 hours.

Making a Best Offer

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buy-now/making-best-offer?id=4019&st=12&pos=3&query=Making%20a%20Be... 

1.jpg

Now on to the next improvement.

Should eBay Share Buyers' Offers with Other Sellers?

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/10/1633736282.html 

United States Patent Application-OFFER RECOMMENDATIONS FOR UNSUCCESFUL BUYERS

https://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchn... 

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote:

@imapaqrat 

@katzrul15

It look like a done deal to me they changed the policy and

also cut the time from 48 hours to 24 hours.

Here's a Best Offer I received today. Note that it's good for 48 hours.

Capture.PNG

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I'd have to think the final version of this feature will incorporate a sellers "Buyer Requirements".  Meaning, maybe a seller allows a buyer that would otherwise not be allowed to buy from you (based on non-payment strikes, low/new feedback rating, etc) if they are required to pay immediately after an offer is accepted.  That would make sense to me.  Everybody else who already makes the cutoff to purchase from you would not be subject to this.  The more tedious approach is to require the seller to opt in/out of this feature or each separate listing if perhaps there are items they want that protection, regardless of buyer's status.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I unchecked it as well just now, after finding out that I had less offer than usual on my items. Buyers were probably put off by the fact they had to enter their payment info first, and/or have their money on hold for several days afterward, even if the offer was declined.

So, thanks for the info!

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for this info. Going to be closing my Ebay account after my items show up because of this unwanted and unnecessary change 

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

I actually like this feature.  Sure they need to enhance it to allow for combined shipping.  But I've accepted too many offers just to have the buyer not pay.  I'm pretty certain that many buyers make the same offer to several sellers but only pay one when multiple accept their offer.  In the meantime, my item isn't available to be purchased by someone else while it's waiting to be paid for.  It's these bad buyers that ruin things for everybody.

I also just found out that you can have the option for immediate payment on your buy it now listings.  Your listing stays active until payment is made even if somebody clicks on buy it now.  I'm going to start making sure that option is checked on all of my future listings.   I'm currently waiting on 6 payments from buy it now listings.  As a buyer, your in the transaction when you buy it now.  There's no reason to not pay for it at the same time.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

This was SO HELPFUL!! Thank you! I just unchecked both boxes, yes the bid or the best-offer box was checked, now unchecked.  I have buyers that make multiple purchases and they know to wait for their shipping discount on an invoice.  Last week I had buyers who were paying immediately as a bid was won, and I couldn't figure out why, and now I know.  I reimbursed the shipping for them, but now I know why, and hope it's all resolved now.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply