cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller says not delivered, tracking says location unsafe left notice.

Buyer is saying he never recieved the item. Well he saying i never shipped it. Tracking is stating that there was a delivery attempt. That it was unsafe and a notice was left. Does that count as being delivered. What do I do? Do I just refund the measly $30 so that I don't get a defect, or try to fight it?

I asked him what local post office and he didn't respond. Should I call my local post office? Would they even know? 

Thanks for any help!

Sincerely, William 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@tarpedge wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@plumbingspecials wrote:
Buyer can open INR through PayPal so be sure to communicate to him that it is at his post office. You want to be sure to resolve cases, preferably not through CS.
It's not the end of it.

You should have waited for us to answer before calling eBay.

If a buyer were to do that, not only would the seller win with the current information on the tracking, the buyer would get in trouble with Ebay for filing the INR, IF PP even allowed it to be filed in the first place.  In PP if you try to open a claim within 30 days of payment, they auto sends you to Ebay.

Since the eBay case is now closed, wouldn't PayPal allow a dispute to be opened, and then escalated immediately to a claim?

And wouldn't that PayPal case be closed in favor of the buyer because the bot cannot see the word "Delivered" in tracking?

PP might allow a claim to be opened.  I'm not sure why they would immediately escalate it to a claim as you stated, I don't know what purpose that would serve.  But this would still be a violation of the Ebay rules.  If it were to happen, the first thing to do would be to contact PP.  I would respond to the claim and then immediately call them.  

Let them know that the buyer had filed the same claim in Ebay and lost.  Chances are pretty high PP would close the case in the seller's favor for two reasons.  1.  They had already filed a claim in Ebay and lost.  2.  The tracking shows delivery was attempted.

Now of course anything can happen.  PP is far more reasonable in processing claims in my experience than Ebay.  I don't think there is a big risk here and/or that it is commonplace for buyers to do this.

The thing to watch for is a chargeback.  That is started at the CCC, not Ebay or PP.  If the buyer paid with a CC, they could do this.  Keep in mind that just because a buyer files a chargeback does NOT mean they auto win.  CCCs don't take this process lightly.  The buyer still has to prove their case.  And in this particular case the seller has some good proof.  This is why I suggested that the OP make a hard copy of all the info regarding this sale.  Sales records, PP records, emails, tracking, etc.  Because CCCs and PP allow up to 180 days to file a claim.  Ebay records and USPS records are not easily optained after 90 days and sometimes you can't get them at all.

Now with all that said.  The OP is doing a great job and at this point all is good.  While there is a slim chance that something else will happen using PP, it isn't likely.  I say, be prepared, then don't worry about it unless something happens.  There are more important things to deal with.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 32 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

They are holding it at the P.O. since it could not be delivered directly. Usually this involves a blocked receptacle, a dog blocking the receptacle, any number of issues where the package cannot be safely put in the box. Instruct the buyer to call their local P.O. to pick up the package. If they do not pick it up after I think 2 weeks the package would be forewarded back to the sender. If they do not pick it up, they are violating an Ebay rule  which basically says that a refused package does not meet the money back  quarentee requirements. Now, if they never pick it up and it comes back to you with tracking showing it was delivered back, then you have a record of this on Ebay and Pay Pal. You may still need to refund if the package comes back to you.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

If the buyer has opened an INR case (item not received), just upload the tracking number that shows the delivery attempt. Do not refund. You will not get a defect.

No, it does not count as delivered, but at least you can prove the package arrived at the buyer's PO and they are holding it for pick-up.

You can ask your local PO to contact the delivering PO, or you can call them yourself. Or you can simply tell the buyer to pick up the package at the PO. Maybe he already has?

I suggest you request an e-mailed status update via the USPS T&C screen. A real person has to resolve these inquiries and eventually the status will read "delivered" unless the intended recipient fails to pick up the package. In that case, the package will be returned to the sender (you).

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

How long ago does the tracking say the notice was left? If it's been a while it may be on it's way back to you.

If it's only a couple of days, contact the buyer and tell them they need to call their PO and arrange redelivery or pickup.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

That's what I'm afraid of. That he has picked it up and saying he never got it. I only have 4 days and it'll be Tuesday before it opens up.

I've told the buyer that it's at the post office. Ill just have to call myself to figure it out. Either way, he still opened a case. I appreciate your quick reply.
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

As he's opened a case - be sure to respond and enter the tracking showing attempted delivery into the case.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@willsfindsandtreasures wrote:
That's what I'm afraid of. That he has picked it up and saying he never got it. I only have 4 days and it'll be Tuesday before it opens up.

I've told the buyer that it's at the post office. Ill just have to call myself to figure it out. Either way, he still opened a case. I appreciate your quick reply.

If he has picked it up, it should have received a scan showing this.  I've had two "Notice left" incidents in the past few months and in both cases they were scanned as "Delivered" when the buyer went to the PO and picked up the items.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

OP, do call the Post Office and ask what the problem is with your box so it does not keep happening.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@willsfindsandtreasures

Would you mind posting the tracking number.  It will give us a good visual in which to help you.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Emerald it's not their box, it's the buyers.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

I think that was just a typo.  What Emerald suggested is a good idea.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

I think that was just a typo.  What Emerald suggested is a good idea.

Why does the seller need to find out what's wrong with the buyers mailbox? 

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Just got off phone with ebay. The CSR said that she was going to escalate it. I didn't want her to but she did. I heard thats not always the best thing to do on these boards. She said I won in my favor, I just hope she wasn't lying.

Either way, I didn't want to do it.  I just wanted to know my options. I wanted to give the buyer a chance anyhow. Hopefully I didn't mess things up with my account.

I appreciate everyone's help! It's great to know that I can rely on more experienced sellers. 

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Advise the buyer to go to the Post Office of the zip code he used for his shipping address (if you used USPS). 

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@willsfindsandtreasures wrote:

Just got off phone with ebay. The CSR said that she was going to escalate it. I didn't want her to but she did. I heard thats not always the best thing to do on these boards. She said I won in my favor, I just hope she wasn't lying.

Either way, I didn't want to do it.  I just wanted to know my options. I wanted to give the buyer a chance anyhow. Hopefully I didn't mess things up with my account.

I appreciate everyone's help! It's great to know that I can rely on more experienced sellers. 

That was what you didnt want to happen, no matter the outcome.