cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller attempt to initiate a return

What does eBay system do when a seller attempts to initiate a Return before the Buyer realizes they must raise the Return request?

Is there any system "auto" granting for refund when both parties invoke a Return?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The seller can of their own volution offer a full refund without a return request being opened.  It's an option in the drop down menu next to the sold item.   You have to scroll down to find it.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 065635.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sellers can't initiate a return, buyers are the only one that can do that.

Sellers can refund without a buyer requested return.

Sellers can cancel a transaction for : 

1.Buyer requested 

2.Problem with buyers address

3. out of stock.

Sellers do not have the ability to open a return for a buyer.

There isn't an auto refund option, either the seller issues it or eBay does when asked to step in on a case or request.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The seller can of their own volution offer a full refund without a return request being opened.  It's an option in the drop down menu next to the sold item.   You have to scroll down to find it.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 065635.png

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for pointing this out. It explains eBay Agent  'Seller attempted to arrange refund, "but system wouldn't allow". This is consistent with ebooksdiva. 

When contacted Seller asking advice how to return for refund, address etc, Seller just replied: "We are not subject matter experts on these parts so if it is incorrect for you then you are welcome to return it for a full refund "

No mention of eBay, how to start Return process.  (I had forgotten and was still in mode reaching agreement first with seller before resorting to starting formal eBay Return ).  

Item posted back after another message to Seller to confirm address correct. Reply "correct" received.

In absence of any further advice when went to my account and clicked on Return , a refund was instantly approved - but with no requirement to return item! 

The agent advised me if not sure about process - contact them .  I will do that in future.

Thank you for reply. The seller placed all responsibility for this outcome solely on eBay doing it all themselves. I now understand thanks to your replies how system operates and etched into memory :))

Query addressed and solution provided. Some times you loose but having satisfaction understanding how is worth far more for peace of mind. Thank you

Message 4 of 4
latest reply