cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Boot Camp?

I ran into this in the Seller Center just now (I was looking for something else)

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-boot-camp.html

"Get 4 weeks of free online training on how to run a profitable business. The first lesson starts March 5!"

Whatcha think all?

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 1 of 112
latest reply
111 REPLIES 111

Seller Boot Camp?

Yeah... If they can demonstrate how to win cases against fraudsters and thieves, that'd be great.
Message 2 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

No thanks. I don't think I need seller insight from the same people who think the promotions banner works better at the bottom of listings, or force best offer into listings, or any of the other things they think is best for OUR businesses.

Message 3 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

If they made all new sellers do it first, might work.

If it's all how easy it is to sell your phone, not so much.

If there is no info on scams and how to protect your acount, then total waste of time.

Most sellers don't even know about these boards.

And noobs jump right in without reading anything.

Message 4 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

I may be jaded after 19 years, but...
There are no magic formulas for on line selling...
-understand market price
-understand shipping & fees cost
-be familiar with addition and subtraction
-understand good presentation
-understand that everyday is not payday, and losses can occur
-know where to locate Schedule C, and how to calulate square footage for std home office deduction
Besides those, and explaining how to download a good template, and being made aware of how scammers work...WHAT CAN POSSIBLY TAKE 4 WEEKS TO EXPLAIN?
Message 5 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

Didn't they talk about something like this a year or two ago - about the time they were talking about veteran sellers 'tutoring' new sellers?  Or, was it a suggestion from sellers that got poo-hooed?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

@nawlinsron2wrote:
I may be jaded after 19 years, but...
There are no magic formulas for on line selling...
-understand market price
-understand shipping & fees cost
-be familiar with addition and subtraction
-understand good presentation
-understand that everyday is not payday, and losses can occur
-know where to locate Schedule C, and how to calulate square footage for std home office deduction
Besides those, and explaining how to download a good template, and being made aware of how scammers work...WHAT CAN POSSIBLY TAKE 4 WEEKS TO EXPLAIN?

An hour lecture, once a week?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

Sometimes you have to review the rules to understand the game.

If it gives me insight into how to play their game, why not.

It doesnt hurt for an old dog to learn new tricks.

Message 8 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

@rdj831wrote:

Sometimes you have to review the rules to understand the game.

If it gives me insight into how to play their game, why not.

It doesnt hurt for an old dog to learn new tricks.

That was my feeling as well.  The best way to avoid getting stale is to keep an open mind. 

It's way too easy to seagull on something so I'm not gonna do that.  I am gonna give this boot camp a fair chance and I'll hope to get something out of it.

If I learn something, great.  If I am refreshed on matters that I hadn't thought of in a while, great.  If I don't learn anything, well, that's okay, too, because at least I will have tried with good intentions.

Message 9 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

Most should just dive in very slowly and skip boot camp.    Every person is a different seller in there own way and should just devolope there stor on there own.  Best regards

Message 10 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

You can bet that bargaining at a pawn shop won't be included...but should be.
Message 11 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

I think that information is good. I signed up so I can watch but not sure if it will help me but sometimes I am surprised with finding out something new. 

I watch FOX news and CNN, I feel that  its best to get both perspectives.

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 12 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

Can't hurt, I clicked, thought I'd have to enter more info, nope, I'm signed up! Smiley Tongue

I do wish they'd offer require new sellers to complete a quick course, or something similiar.  Just to get the basics of how to avoid scammers, how to verify payment, how to create a decent title, and a crash course on how to use the returns/dispute system.  So many places have screen shot demonstration presentations nowadays, I think it would be really beneficial to provide one before allowing a first live listing.

Message 13 of 112
latest reply

Seller Boot Camp?

It's actually a good idea, if presented properly and accurately.  How well can Ebay do this? unamused.

Me, I'm not going to sign up. I've been selling since 1982, I already know how to make a profit offline and online. It might be small dollars compared to many sellers, but I haven't lost a penny yet, so I can't complain.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 112
latest reply