cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Beaware!! Paypal return policy will screw you over

Here is my story.

I sold two used CPU for $1999 shipped on Dec 1. Items were delivered on Dec 7. On Jan 31 (54 days after), buyer opens an ebay return case claming that the CPU are DOA (dead on arrival). I contacted him asking what took it too long to report the problem. Buyer refused to give a valid reason while claiming I send him bad CPUs even though I always tested the goods before shipping. I have no choice but decline his request and close the case. He then opens a case on PAYPAL for the same reason and Paypal immediately holds the fund of $1999. 

I escalate the claim to paypal and unfortunately paypal decides the outcome on the buyer's favor.

KEEP IN MIND THAT EBAY 30 DAYS RETURN POLICY DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING ONCE THE BUYER MAKE A CLAIM W PAYPAL. PAYPAL RETURN POLICY IS 180 DAYS AND IT APPLIED TO ALL TRANSACTION. YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT ACCEPT THE RETURN AND EAT IT.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Seller Beaware!! Paypal return policy will screw you over

Wow!  What type of CPUs sell for $1200?  I can't recall last time I replaced a computer's CPU any that came even close to 4 digits.

I'd love to know what types these are so I can have reason to check inside more random computer systems at the thrifts to see if any use that type.  😄

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@nowthatsjustduckywrote:

Wow!  What type of CPUs sell for $1200?

About $2000, actually, for the two combined.

I can't recall last time I replaced a computer's CPU any that came even close to 4 digits.

I'd love to know what types these are so I can have reason to check inside more random computer systems at the thrifts to see if any use that type.

If you look at the OP's sold listings, you can still see both of the CPUs if you scroll down to the Dec. 1st sales.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

If you search for similar outcomes with other sellers you'll find you're not alone.

And those similar cases are by only those eBay members who even know about this forum. There may be  many, many more that we never hear about and won't.

Ebay's customer service sometimes finds in favor of sellers. However, we hear mostly about the R&R (Refunded and Retained) decisions where a buyer, on what appears to be flimsy evidence is refunded his or her full payment and isn't required to return the goods.  That smells like assisted buyer theft with eBay as accessories to planned fraud.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Intel Core i9-7980XE Skylake X 18-Core 2.6 GHz     $1971.88 current price.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 16 core was up there too but has dropped under $1000 I think.

You won't find those current CPUs in thrift store boxes. (and when you do 8 years from now, they will be worth maybe $50-150)

I recall Intel bleeding edge CPUs were $1000 and up 20 years ago also. They dropped in price very quickly, but out the gate, the top end stuff has always been $1000-$2000

Late last year I upgraded my 10 year old quadcore processor ($266 back then but an incredible bang for the cheap buck at the time) with a faster drop in replacement that I picked up for $28 on eBay and got about a 20% CPU performance boost. That processor was $530 when I bought mine for $266.

For about double ($60) I could have gone one more step up to the top of that CPU family tree and gotten another 5% relative performance boost and more heat (that processor came out 6 months later, was also $530, and pretty much just factory overclocked version of the replacement I bought.)

The extreme versions that came out at the same time were $1000-$1500, and are under $50 on eBay (not sure why - they are significantly faster but also 50% more wattage/heat).

High end CPUs start out very high,  tail off quickly, and lose a lot of relative value with time. But it is possible to find $25 to $100 (current eBay value) or so CPUs in the thrifts - just may be a bit unlikely as those types are typically not in mainstream machines.  The enthusiasts likely just keep them, sell them on eBay, gift them, and what you will find are the junk CPUs they upgraded from.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

If the new eBay payment processor limits returns to 30 days just like eBay, I think many sellers might abandon PayPal. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

If this is the case pay palis stupid.  If a buyer buys someting they know if it is good or not in a week or two at least. The sooner pay pal and and e bay realizes this the better it wil be. You are so right the online rules from pay pal and e bay is a big joke and hurts a lot of sellers. Lots of scaming going on. A 30 day limit on returns should be set up for all. I have had the 59 day return request many times. You are right pay pal puting holds on funds for transactions over 30 days is shame on them.  I wish you the best in future. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@lovett-1000wrote:

If this is the case pay palis stupid.  If a buyer buys someting they know if it is good or not in a week or two at least. The sooner pay pal and and e bay realizes this the better it wil be. You are so right the online rules from pay pal and e bay is a big joke and hurts a lot of sellers. Lots of scaming going on. A 30 day limit on returns should be set up for all. I have had the 59 day return request many times. You are right pay pal puting holds on funds for transactions over 30 days is shame on them.  I wish you the best in future. 

@lovett-1000. Paypal is not stupid. This is a credit card chargeback not a paypal dispute. Paypal's 180 day policy is irrelevant. Did you read the actual OP? The buyer LOST an ebay case AND a paypal dispute. The buyer then disputed the charge with his credit card company. It does not matter how long ebay or paypal give a buyer to open a case. The buyer who pays with a credit card can always dispute the charges months even years later.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Then the credit card company is stupid.  If they give 180 days to refund a buyer. The seller won his case. But how dose a credit card company even know if the seller even got his item back. And the buyer did not just bust it on purpose. I have had this happen to me and a credit cad had nothing to do with it. With kindness of thoughts I send. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@lovett-1000wrote:

Then the credit card company is stupid.  If they give 180 days to refund a buyer. The seller won his case. But how dose a credit card company even know if the seller even got his item back. And the buyer did not just bust it on purpose. I have had this happen to me and a credit cad had nothing to do with it. With kindness of thoughts I send. 

The seller and his item are not the credit card company’s problem. The credit card company owes nothing to the seller. All the buyer has to do is show they attempted to return the merchandise. The OPs buyer did that twice and was denied.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

What I don't understand is, if one "double dips" (get's a refund on eBay, then their credit card) that is highly frowned upon and maybe illegal (not sure).

If one files an eBay claim, and it's decided in their favor, and they get a refund fund, they can't go to paypal and open a claim.

But if a buyer opens a case with eBay, it gets denied, then they SHOULD NOT be able to open a paypal case.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

The bottom line is you are on the hook for 180 days out if a buyer decides to go the chargeback route with PayPal. PayPal isn't going to eat a chargeback, you the seller are.  And you'll be lucky if you get your item returned.  As another poster stated, if the new payment carrier ebay is going to knocks off this 180 day nonsense, I'll be switching in a heartbeat.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

there should be a class action lawsuit against the credit card companies as if they refund a buyer without requiring them to send it back then that is theft plain and simple, i myself in 20 years of selling in my store and 7 years online have only had it happen one time and that was online so hasnt been a big deal for me, i'm more woried about the unauthorized transactions that seem to be the new way for people to get free stuff, noone uses your card and ships it to your address, i have 1 or 2 of these every month and every time paypal has covered it with their seller protection and i havent lost  a penny, now that ebay is going to pretty much be in charge of our money you can almost bet they will screw the seller every time and will not have our backs even if shipping shows it was delivered to their confirmed address as paypal has our backs as long as we ship to the confirmed address on paypal. since ebay rarely has a sellers back im sure we will now be screwed by this happening as in the last year i have had it happen probably 20 times, in previous 6 years i never had it happen not even once.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Just as Ebay and Paypal - can not verify what was sent back - neither can a credit card company. A buyer can send anything back and with a copy of tracking that the item was sent - the buyer wins.

Everyone is whining - and I agree I hate chargebacks - but I've had to use a chargeback twice in my lifetime for unscrupulous charges and I'm glad I had that option as would you be if you received something that didn't meet your expectations or was falsely charged to your account.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Well at least it feels a bit comfortable now. I appreciate all the supports. As a seller I totally understand the cost of doing business online you have to deal w alot of **bleep**. 

However in my case the buyer made an very ridiculous claim. I bet he either used my CPUs to test other products or he was trying to resell it but can't (buyer is also an ebay seller)

Just to clarify he claimed it as "item not as described"  AFTER 54 days of delivered. Anyway as a seller he acknowledges very well paypal return policy.  

Message 15 of 17
latest reply