cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking consignment seller in my area

I would like to sell some things on ebay, but would prefer to pay someone to do it for me.  How can I find sellers in my geographic area who sell other people's things.   I live in Venice Florida.  Thank you.  ScottTee

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

It will never happen unless you are OK with the return spelled out here: The average COST to sell on Ebay averages 38% when you factor the shipping and the fees. So a $100 item after shipping and fees 62% ($62.00), the seller would want at least 50% of that. So, your $100 item would give you a return of $31.00.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Not something that the people here would want suggest, we would not want to be on the hook for suggesting someone if things go bad. You will need to search one out in your area.

You could expect to be charged after fees, anywhere form 35-60%. The person doing this for you would need to be able to give you information about sales for tax purposes along with having to cover any charge backs that might happen later. 

As it is, this request is going out to the whole US and world, so only very small chance of anyone close seeing this that would be close by. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Reach out to a consignment store, perhaps they sell on eBay or know someone who does. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@sksmo  Doubt anyone would want to take on the many risks> returns, lost in shipping, defects on their account, etc for someone else. Doing it for ourselves is already barely doable and many sellers leaving in droves bc it's just too much to deal with. 

In addition to all that, the 'consignment' seller would have to deal with the 'consignor' concerns and possible accusations regarding 'true' net profit if the consignor is not familiar with eBay's goings on, but good luck in finding one.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It will never happen unless you are OK with the return spelled out here: The average COST to sell on Ebay averages 38% when you factor the shipping and the fees. So a $100 item after shipping and fees 62% ($62.00), the seller would want at least 50% of that. So, your $100 item would give you a return of $31.00.

Smart sellers are either factoring the shipping into the price of their item or they are using calculated shipping and the buyer is paying the shipping cost. So the actual return for selling a $100 item with $20 calculated shipping cost and selling to a buyer in a state with a 8% sales tax looks like the following, provided the buyer paid shipping cost equals the actual shipping cost. 

If the seller takes 50% then that leaves the OP with $51 and change. Really irrelevant I would and do use consignment auction houses to move lethargic items. The total fees to the auction houses vary but it has never been over 25%. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1680641968032.png

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt   Smart sellers know they can NEVER add an additional amount for shipping and fees for an item that is valued at $100. Shipping takes approximately 12% and Ebay taxes approximately $23% You can manipulate the charts all you want but smart sellers know the costs.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@sksmo 

The "sell through" rate on eBay can be quite dismal.  Some things might take months or even years to sell if they sell or not.  Nobody wants to put in work on a consignment basis for products that may never sell.  An hourly fee would make more sense to any seller considering this.  They should use YOUR name, bank account information, social security number, and physical devices/ISP in order to avoid trouble with eBay in general now days.   That way, if you have a sale and a subsequent chargeback within six months, it will be YOUR bank account that takes the hit.   

Better to sell your stuff outright to interested parties.  Advertise locally for same on venues near you.  No fees, no risk of phony claims or returns. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt   Smart sellers know they can NEVER add an additional amount for shipping and fees for an item that is valued at $100. Shipping takes approximately 12% and Ebay taxes approximately $23% You can manipulate the charts all you want but smart sellers know the costs.

No the smart sellers incorporate the cost into the price of their item. Shipping takes nothing from the seller, if the seller is smart the buyer is paying it.

In fact generally the actual shipping cost is less than what the buyer paid if calculated shipping was used. There is no manipulation involved the math and application in the model I provided is correct. Shipping should NEVER be a seller expense/cost. The effective rate on any transaction will vary depending on a number of factors but I have NEVER had it hit 23% on anything  I have sold on eBay. 

What is misleading for a lot of sellers is the way eBay presents the summary information

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Your Smartness, You need to take the pink glasses off or maybe get a battery powered calculator instead of the abacus you are using... 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply