cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search result

Just listed some french enamelware for auction. After about an hour of inactivity, I did a search for my item. After several tries using keywords from my description I was unable to get my item to appear in the search results. Double checked spelling - it all checked out.  I tried on two computers using different combinations of key words. Am I missing something here?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Search result

I see it.............

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=French+Hand+painted+enamelware&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=...

It can take up to 24 hrs for new listings to show...........

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Didn't know that. Most of my auctions seem to get views right away. I also noticed it comes up in search results with some combinations of the key words but not others.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If you search "antique french enamelware" there are 195 results - none of which are mine. If you ADD the word "set" it comes up in the result. Adding words to the description should narrow the search, not expand it. I don't understand.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@740miket 

A search for "antique french enamelware" (without quotes) will be automatically steered by eBay into the following category:

Collectibles > Kitchen & Home > Kitchenware > Cookware > Enamelware

If you want your item to show up in that particular search, you need to list it in that category.

In many cases where searching with two or three search terms turns up hundreds or thousands of items, eBay will automatically narrow the search to a particular category where most of the sales for that search have occurred. This is referred to as "Implicit Category Navigation", and it is something that sellers have to take into consideration when listing their items.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Wow - another thing I didn't know. I try to use the category that seems the most pertinent to my item. I had no idea it changed the key word search results. Could explain some other mysteries I've come across. I wanted the category to include antique. That seems to be a better general descriptor/modifier for this item but I guess I'll change it. Thanks for the tip.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply