cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$$$ Scrounge Lounge (Stay Warm in) February 2019 $$$

Welcome to the Scrounge Lounge February 2019 Edition

Our History: The Scrounge Lounge formed on the old Auction Listings board in 2003.

Who are we? Ebay buyers and sellers who love the thrill of the hunt and the thrill of the $ELL.

We find treasures in the usual, and at times, unusual places.

Here in the Lounge we share our finds, talk about sales, share our successes and our mistakes, we ask and answer questions, help identify widgets, and we'd love to hear about all your scrounging adventures!

Message 1 of 209
latest reply
208 REPLIES 208

Re: $$$ Scrounge Lounge (Stay Warm in) February 2019 $$$

Happy Valentine's Day!

snoopy-valentine-clipart-28.gif

Any special plans? None here. Yet. (?)

I slept late today. Then took pictures. Listings are what I have planned.

Sun, someday maybe, someday SOON not likely. But never say never. We could hit the lottery!

Message 106 of 209
latest reply

Happy Valentines Day Everyone.

No plans so far.
Message 107 of 209
latest reply

Do any of you ship international?
I have a potential buyer asking if I'll ship to Ireland. The reason I don't offer int'l shipping is the 'worry factor'. I'm sure it would likely be fine, unless it isn't... then there is a lot of the line.
Message 108 of 209
latest reply

I've shipped overseas via forwarders a number of times.  I've only shipped overseas directly twice, once to Ireland and once to France.  It was just enough hassle on my end that I've not done it again.  The sales went fine, and the items arrived and the buyers were happy.   I just found it difficult to navigate all the paperwork and the online help at the time was several lacking in detail.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 109 of 209
latest reply

Thanks, Snoopy, for the Valentine! To you all too, a day late.

My aunt in Tulsa passed away the 13th, my dad's only sib., 92 years old and living at home til the last couple weeks, and did not ever want to be in a nursing home.  The last thing she said to her DD was that she wanted to go home, so Ann agreed and said they would set it up with hospice and she seemed very satisfied with that and went to her Heaven Home a couple hours later. 

My sister and I were considering going and want to be there, of course.  Then work called an hour later and gave me hours for a few days next week, and I have to take it.  Neither she nor I would be very good driving for 10 or 12 hours anyway, it would take longer than that, the amt. of time we'd need to get out and stretch.  They totally understand of course.  I talked to Ann, her daughter, this morning....Aunt Betty is our last family elder, so it's sad we won't be there other than in spirit.  I suggested we come down for a couple days later, better weather.   She loved the idea.  Just talked to one of my nieces and she thought that would be great, too.  

Later! 

I have huge ice dams on the back of the house in the rain gutters.  That is so scary.  I filled up socks with salt the other day and got 4 up there, but two aren't where I need them to be.  I have a ladder out there sitting in 3' of snow. Fun fun! Need to fill up some more socks. It works. The only melting going on today is from the Sun, not the temp!

Message 110 of 209
latest reply

M*M, I'm sorry for your loss. At 92 not entirely unexpected, but sad just the same. Especially hard as the last of the elders. I hope you are able to visit with the family when the weather is nice.

Cheers on the work hours. That's good news.
Jeers on the ice dams. I had to google it to refresh my memory. I know we've talked about socks of salt before. But couldn't quite remember the purpose. Not something we've ever had to deal with here.
Be careful if you plan to climb a ladder. Can you get your plow guy or someone to help?

Dtex, thanks for the input. I've shipped international a few times but it was many years ago. Before buyer protection had a hair-trigger. I haven't answered yet. But I'm leaning toward, no. I think I can get my price without the hassle.

Two of my recent sales went to buyers from Japan with US shipping addresses. I don't think it was ebay global shipping. I think it was buyer arranged. All I know is that I have tracking that shows delivery for those sales.
Message 111 of 209
latest reply

I haven't shipped internationally for probably 5 or 6 years. Heard too many horror stories (mostly on this board). Last time I did, it was an $1150 print through a forwarder and it worked out, but I was on pins and needles for a month.

At least now I don't have to listen to "How much to ship your widget to Navel Lint, Bulgaria" anymore.
Message 112 of 209
latest reply

Kay I no longer ship international. It is just not worth the hassle. Most people complain about the cost which is probably even worse then it used to be.

Kay you are having some wonderful sales with all those listings. Way to go.
Message 113 of 209
latest reply

I hope you can get there some other time when it is warmer and safer to drive MM. Sorry for your loss. Sure hope you can get your roof socks on. Hope someone can help you. Great on the work hours finally. Sure hope the roads are good.

Sun is out and melting everything here. Wonderful sunny day.
Message 114 of 209
latest reply

Well, I had a banner day. A buyer on a shopping spree purchased twenty-nine listings. We did communicate during the process but I'll believe it when the payment rests in my account.

Signature confirmation, confirmed address, and insurance... anything else I need to cover my backside?

Message 115 of 209
latest reply

I think it was 55 here today. It's supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow.

Sun glad you're seeing a sunny day and things are melting.

Thanks again for the input on int'l shipping. Seems we are all of similar mind. I'm going to decline.
Message 116 of 209
latest reply

Wow Kay that is wonderful. I think all those things should cover you. What a great customer. Love those people.
Message 117 of 209
latest reply

Thanks, Kay, Sun, per my aunt. A new generation of "Elders"! That is what my SIL said yesterday. Thing about funerals is it gets people together, been awhile.
Nice job on the multi sales, Kay!
congrats!
I haven't sold Int'l in about five years either but didn't want to influence you, because well, it's your call, whatever you're comfy with.

Yeah, been trying to think of someone, like a young person, a kid, that I can get to come over and shovel the back patio and get those socks up there, (my elbow is still killing me, it was starting to get a little better, then I went and shoveled the stoop and steps out front and that sure didn't help, back to square one, so "I"m" not doing it!)

Message 118 of 209
latest reply

M*M, so sorry for your lost.  DH & I are the older generation 😞  It took me a while to realize it.  When we are gone, no one will be left in either family.

If I remember correctly, back in the dark ages when we lived up north, DH had some kind of low voltage electric wires installed on the roof in a zigzag pattern.   When the snow began to accumulate, he would plug them in and they would melt the ice jams that can be really dangerous to the roof/house.  I don't remember how costly they were.  Maybe they can just be put in areas where the jams happen.

Congrats on the sales Kay.  Should be easy to pack!  BTW, have you and DH considered renting a place in FL for a couple of weeks or month during the winter just to try it out?  A lot of our friends leave up north after Thanksgiving and go back near the end of April.

AND, the Daffs are blooming 🙂  Yeah, there is a promise of Spring.  On the other hand, we are supposed to have 5-7" of rain over the next 5 days - coming across from the Pacific.  Can you imagine if that were snow?  All of the streams will be flooding 😞

Have a beautiful weekend.  Patd

Message 119 of 209
latest reply

Fly by hi to the lounge! Been some time since I ventured this way. Nice to see the lounge still here and a number of familiar faces.

Sorry for your loss MM 😞

Congrats on the sale Kay.

Message 120 of 209
latest reply