cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers and Thieves I WANT THEM CAUGHT AND STOPPED.

At first I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt. After speaking to him a few times, I noticed to many misspelled words, offering extra money, putting more money on the check than supposed to be and asking for to much personal information that the buyer did not need. So in return I ask him for all the same information, I did not hear from the buyer again, nor did I see any certified money order.  The buyer joined eBay when he first tryed buying the car.  I do not beleive he is a member anymore.  If they  have been with eBay for a long time, I might trust them a little more but something like this, definitely not.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Scammers and Thieves I WANT THEM CAUGHT AND STOPPED.

@jw*jerry wrote:

At first I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt. After speaking to him a few times, I noticed to many misspelled words, offering extra money, putting more money on the check than supposed to be and asking for to much personal information that the buyer did not need. So in return I ask him for all the same information, I did not hear from the buyer again, nor did I see any certified money order.  The buyer joined eBay when he first tryed buying the car.  I do not beleive he is a member anymore.  If they  have been with eBay for a long time, I might trust them a little more but something like this, definitely not.

There you go. I bet you feel a lot better now. Is there something anyone here can help with?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Now that you caught one, what do you plan on doing with "it"?

Sometimes it's best to go with ones own knowledge, and gut, then to rely on "someone" else to do it for you.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

If you have a concern that other eBay sellers can help you with, please put it in the form of a specific question. I'm not sure what your post is all about.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

You kind of rambled here, but the scams and thieves are abundant and the response from eBay has been slow to say the least.  Camera bundle kits seem to be the latest foray for our Russian friends that are not content stealing our election, but they also want our money.   It is has taken me days to try to get Ebay to remove these listings.  

D

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@jw*jerry

Too many misspelled words? Like in your own post? Misspellings are a fact of life. Some know how to spell, other's don't.

As for catching and stopping scammers and thieves, first you need to prove they're what you say they are. They may be, but you still need to prove it, which, unfortunately, isn't always easy.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

"As for catching and stopping scammers and thieves, first you need to prove they're what you say they are. They may be, but you still need to prove it, which, unfortunately, isn't always easy."

I'm not sure about others, but I'd much rather NOT have to prove it, with evidence being my lost item and the giant hole in my checking account.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

That's a typical Nigerian scam letter.

The seller tells you he will send you a check for X amount above the item price "for your inconvenience". It gets more complicated than that, but I'm not gonna bother putting it here.  If you're curious, Google it.

You do know you're not allowed to accept checks, anyway, right?  PayPal only!

All of these scams depend on the greed of the seller to work - and some do get away with it.  The take-home is never take a transaction off-eBay.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I have had bad money orders sent to me before.  It was a postal money order, so I went to the post office to make sure it was legit.  The post master said it was good, so I go to the bank and they said it looked good to them but I should hold on to the money for at least a week.  I told them I would hold on to the money until they told me it was for surely mine.  One week later, the bank called they needed the money back.  I then took the returned check to the police.  After talking to them, I realized that it is a waist of time.  The only real thing a common person can do is, to be vigilant.  One day I just might set a trap catch myself a scammer or thief.  I have seem to run into a lot of them over the years.  One of them even threatened my life.  Yet, there is no one out there that wants to take any of it serious until someone gets hurt or killed and then it is to late. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

It has been a while since I sold anything on eBay. It has been forever since I logged into PayPal. The man said it was a certified cashiers check. I thought that was allowed. So no I did not know that it was PayPal only. Thank You!!!
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I apologize if I am not just asking questions or if I am rambling on. I thought this was a community discussion page, not a question and answer page. On top of that some of you are not very nice. I have brain damage and this is the most typing or conversing I have done in a long, long time, just to find out that I don't talk right or I talk wrong. You couldn't just talk nice and share something. Don't worry, I don't need any help making my depression worse, I won't come back to this community again.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Jerry,

You should only take cash for a car purchase and a "small deposit" via paypal.

Please visit the motors board for a little better advice. Hopefully, they are a bit friendlier than here.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Motors/bd-p/220

But do not take anything more than a small deposit ($100 or so) via paypal. No money orders, no cashiers checks. Cash.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@jw*jerry wrote:
I apologize if I am not just asking questions or if I am rambling on. I thought this was a community discussion page, not a question and answer page. On top of that some of you are not very nice. I have brain damage and this is the most typing or conversing I have done in a long, long time, just to find out that I don't talk right or I talk wrong. You couldn't just talk nice and share something. Don't worry, I don't need any help making my depression worse, I won't come back to this community again.

@jw*jerry wrote:

I am sorry you had a bad time here, i was actually reading the responses and felt disgusted at how rude some were.  Just like any other site there is a group of not very nice people who feel it is there duty to pick apart what people post or there listing etc...not all of us are that way and you just have to ignore the trolls.  It is usually the first posters because they have nothing better to do and pretty much live on here.   

There is a lot of nice and helpful posters here as well and i don't want you to feel you can't come back here, you have every right to post and feel welcome!

So, welcome to the boards and don't feel your alone, 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

You do know you're not allowed to accept checks, anyway, right?  PayPal only!

You are for a car - which is what the OP is trying to sell.

Sorry, life isn't PP only. Cash and checks are still valid methods of payment in this country.

You aren't allowed to advertise that you take them on here(except in certain categories - like ebay motors, B&I), but many sellers still have it in their listings and those listings aren't taken down.

And I have NEVER heard of anyone being suspended from ebay for accepting cash, checks, or money orders, and I doubt I ever will.

I would never turn down a good old-fashioned USPS money order if asked.

@jw*jerry wrote:

Well, it is a community discussion page. I guess you misconstrued my intent. I was asking if there was anything we can try to help with as most of us here are very knowledgable and might have some insight or tips on how you can either solve this issue or avoid it in the future. If all you wanted to do was rant, then cool. I didn't say anything about mispellings or the way you talk. I just simply asked how we could help. Good luck to you.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply