cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed - an INR Case Appeal was Wrongly Denied by eBay

A few weeks after I shipped an antique coffee pot to Italy, the buyer opened an Item Not Received case.
I submitted the tracking details on April 26th: the same day the case was opened.  The item was still in transit.
The case closed, and then my appeal was denied: "Unfortunately, you didn't provide tracking information in time to win this case."

The record clearly shows that I did provide tracking on time.

How can this happen?

See screenshot below:

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Scammed - an INR Case Appeal was Wrongly Denied by eBay

I think what ebay means is you did not show on time tracking indicating the package was successfully delivered to the address on his paypal account.

And I have seen that happen here from other sellers.

Italy is especially known for slow customs.  So if package is delayed getting through buyers open up item not received one day after estimated date of receipt, ask that it be closed, and win the case.

Then when the package is delivered a few days later, it is too late for seller to do anything.

What you should have done is call ebay show them it is on its way and ask for an extension of time for the item to get there.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

What you should have done is call ebay show them it is on its way and ask for an extension of time for the item to get there.

That's very helpful information in the event that I am ever in this situation.  I never would have known that was possible.  Thanks.

PS: Sorry this happened to you OP.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I called eBay and they told me that the appeal denial was "a mistake" but there is nothing they can do to change it.

I have a feeling that the case extension would go on forever because the tracking will simply not update from this point on. It is very possible that the buyer already has the coffee pot and are taking advantage of the system to get a free item.

It's very frustrating that a seller has no defense against being scammed every time an international tracking number gets stalled.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

YOU were scammed, Ebay will do NOTHING about it what so ever, they will NEVER give you any kind of extension, ever. YOUR case was closed and that is that. NEVER LIST ANY EXPENSIVE OR HEAVY ITEMS ON EABY. OR you will loose your shirt from fraudulent buyers gettting rewarded by Ebay for fraudulent claims like this one. Ebay treats the sellers horribly and always will screw you in favor of the buyer. Be sure of this always...... EBAY = BAD FOR SELLERS - Never list expensive or heavy items on Ebay. YOu will be sorry.....

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

YOU will also be scammed on SNAD domestic claims constantly too by Ebay siding with fraudulent buyers, stealing your money, and refusing to change a SNAD claim into a buyers remorse claim that Ebay agrees they actually are.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

When you don't use a service with end to end tracking that shows "delivered" in the buyer's city or equivalent, it leaves you open to INRs, even if the item is delivered, as you can't prove it has been. That is a requirement for seller protection, which it looks like you didn't qualify for given the case wasn't put on hold as a result of updates to tracking w/in (i think) 5 days after the case is filed. 

You can, however, ask the buyer to re-pay; if he/she is honest and wants the item, they will. Or, if you want the item back, and the buyer is satisfied with the refund, you might see if the buyer would be willing to ship it back to you if you pay for return shipping (yes, it stinks, but those are your 2 options).

Ebay's INR "appeal" policy is that the seller will lose the appeal if the item hasn't been delivered by the time the INR is closed & refund issued. 

I think the only benefit of a successful appeal is that the unresolved case strike is descored, and you might get your final value fees credited. I don't believe ebay will reimburse you for the refund.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

What service provides end to end tracking? Would using Fedex or UPS have saved me in this situation?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Fed Ex and UPS would have given you updated tracking every step of the way.

But it can be very expensive.

I sold a $1000 item to Australia.  Used Fed Ex  It was practically lojacked.  I got constant updates.  It zipped through customs and Australia can be  vey slow.  Took 1 week from pickup to delivery.

But it cost $125.  Not all buyers want to pay for it.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

It sold on March 8? USPS  International Priority Shipping should not take 2 months.

I don't see the buyer as a scammer.  They waited until April 26th to open the claim and waited another 10 days.  I think a scammer would move faster.  

I'm sorry this happened to you and it's not a small amount of money (gorgeous piece) but what would you consider to be a reasonable wait time if you were the buyer?

Did you make any efforts to get in touch with Italian Customs during those 10 days?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@iemptyestates either or would have, although expensive for international shipping.  When the VCA board was active here, one of my fellow sellers always used Express Mail or DHL for international shipping, no matter how much the buyer did or did not like it.  Things were a bit different then, but sellers always had to provide a shipping method that had viewable online delivery.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Just sign up for ebays GSP the buyer would have paid less in shipping and you would have only be responsible for it to arrive in kentucky.....

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

For these reasons, I do not sell outside the U.S. Was scammed many times, just as you described.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

My advice to you would be not to sell to Italy in the future.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I understand shipping to Italy can be problematic.

Sorry this happened to you, I know this info doesn't help you now.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply