cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam?

Hello-

This is my first time using Ebay and I listed some Coach purses yesterday with the auction starting at $50. Within a few hours I received an offer for $100 with the following message: 

"I'm interested in buying your item as gift and i will make additional payment for the shipping because i want it ship to Virginia kindly accept my offer and get back to me to arrange for shipment .*phone number * thanks"

I was reading online that offering more is usually a scam but the buyer included their phone number as well which makes me think that it might not be. But then again, why would you give your phone number out on the internet?

Just wanted to reach out because I am not sure how to proceed. I am selling these items for my aunt so trying to make her the most $ possible but also don't want to be scammed. 

Thanks 🙂 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Scam?

If these lazy  scammers would put as much effort  into getting a real  legitimate  job  as they do trying  steal  from anyone they can ,,   this world would be a much better place . And someday  those  thieves  wouldn't be laying on their deathbeds  worried about going to HE double toothpicks . Tulips 

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

"I always was told a freight-forwarding company buyer is the BEST one to have. NO protection for the buyer after it goes out from the freight-forwarder."

That is only true in cases that do not involve criminal scams, which is what I was referring to.

A scammer will have a fake USA account and will claim the freight-forwarding service as a business or residential address (or even use an accomplice in the USA for freight-forwarding).  The scammer (all the while located in the Ukraine, Russia, etc) will swear up and down he's in the USA to the Trust & Safety department.

Then what happens is that it appears to "disappear" off of the USPS tracking system. The foreign buyer will pretend to be a USA citizen and will inform eBay the item was never received and will have the transaction reversed.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@lagarto_electronico wrote:

Then what happens is that it appears to "disappear" off of the USPS tracking system.

Nope. Delivery to a freight forwarder is delivery to a US address.

We have no bahamas today.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Follow your gut feeling.

Decline offer, or CANCEL BIDS, or CANCEL DEAL.

When you get scammed you are left alone, without any help from ebay.

If they're honest, they will follow your terms or ebay's policies.

Remember SCAMMER are a lot more internet savy than you and I put together. 

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Do we really have a navy in Kentucky ??? (LOL).

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@cir-fazi wrote:

Do we really have a navy in Kentucky ??? (LOL).

Does the navy have colonels?

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@cir-fazi wrote:

Follow your gut feeling.

Decline offer, or CANCEL BIDS, or CANCEL DEAL.

When you get scammed you are left alone, without any help from ebay.

If they're honest, they will follow your terms or ebay's policies.

Remember SCAMMER are a lot more internet savy than you and I put together. 

The OP posted 2 months ago.  Most likely the issue has been settled by now.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply