cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tax in my own state

Stupid question but again there is so much misinformation on the inernet it is hard to know for sure. I live in Missouri. If I sell to someone that also lives in Missouri does eBay collect and remit the sales tax to the state? I know they do for out of state buyers but need to clarify for same state buyers.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Sales tax in my own state

If the buyer lives in a state that requires sales tax to be paid on purchases. Then yes, eBay collects it and sends it to the buyers state. This includes states where the buyer lives in the same state as the seller. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thank you. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Yes they will.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hi @dot341 

The locations of the seller, buyer, and item are all irrelevant as far as taxing is concerned.  All that counts is the state the item is being shipped to.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Ebay collects and remits the correct sales tax for whatever state the buyer lives in. 

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yes, our state MO was the last one ebay collected online sales tax, it started Jan 1st, 2023

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

"Ebay collects and remits the correct sales tax for whatever state the buyer lives in. "

More precisely, the sales tax is charged based on the delivery address.  
Yes, probably the overwhelming majority of eBay buyers have their purchases sent to their homes.  
However, people can list their work addresses or other secondary addresses, such as a summer home.  (I only wish . . . . . .) 
I currently have my sister's address as an "Other Shipping Address" on this eBay ID, and she lives in a different state.   

And as I've said in the past, I've sent probably at least a dozen eBay purchases to addresses in Delaware to people whose first names were things like Olga or Yuri.  Somehow I don't think those things were sent to Olga's or Yuri's actual homes.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

They were delivered to Olga and Yuri's freight forwarder in Delaware because there's no sales tax in Delaware. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Sales tax is always all about the buyer and has NOTHING to do with the seller.  Whatever address you ship to is the address that the sales tax [if any is due] will be calculated on.  Where you are located has NOTHING to do with it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 10
latest reply