cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales and Views with Ebay Throttling listings since last update Part 2

Good morning fellow sellers! Just an update from last weeks post....

Bear with me as I haven't had much coffee this morning and I am ADD, so the post may be confusing.

Info:

Premium Store Subscription

Top Rated Seller

100% Positive Feedback of 3900+

30 day seller paid "Free Returns"

90% of store is and always has been Mens Clothing- Vintage and mid priced brands

Ebay seller for 10+ Years

approx 900-1000 listings in store

List approx 5 to 10 new items daily

Have a 10% off storewide coupon

Run Promoted Listings at 7.

Now you might say, recession. You might say less buyers. You might say big box store overstock, so less sales. You might think just do free shipping (I charge shipping).

*ASP of like minded items are still selling similar across ebay. So my prices are competitive. Like items are still selling at the same rate.

*Looking at "sold" listings of similar items in my store are still consistent across ebay. People with less feedback, higher shipping, higher prices, lower prices, etc are still having sales. So maybe ebay is just throttling stores after a few sales to allow other sellers to get more views?

I have been racking my head these last few weeks with why my store sales and views are way down. This is what my detective work has shown from mid June-July to mid July-Current.

Sales (quantity sold) DOWN 36.5%

-june/july sold and shipped: 140

-july/aug sold and shipped: 87

1. Went from averaging 34% of items sold leaving feedback. Down to 11%.

Detective work says: Less views on days with no feedback= Less sales

2.  Went from shipping 2.3 items per week international to .1

Detective work says: NO CLUE WHY.

3. Views within the last month to views previous month down.

Detective work says: 

- Promoted listings DOWN 21.7% with the same percentage at 7.7%

- Organic listings DOWN 27.2%

I could go on and on but just wanted to show some real time numbers for those interested.

Things I have tried to boost views/sales:

Shut off promoted listings for a few days. No difference in sales.

Tried adding an additional coupon, buy one, get one 50%. Zero sales from this.

Didn't list any items one day. Zero difference.

Changed shipping to FREE SHIPPING for 48 hours. Zero difference in views.

Changed from Fixed Ad Rate to Suggested Ad Rate in Promoted. Zero difference.

Updated all listings to include every Item Specific out. Properly. Correctly.

Conclusion. Spent 20 minutes writing this from my notes taken of specifics over the last few weeks. Still won't change the fact that ebay's cossara, cassini or cotana or whatever their search is named now is jacked. It won't change the fact that sales and views are down. And it surely won't change the fact that any higher ups will read this. 

I just want you all to know that if your sales and views are down, you aren't the only one. If your sales are up, I am happy for you! Are you doing anything different than I have shown up top?

Remember, we are all in this together folks. As a seller, since most of our friends and family do not understand what we go through, I am thankful for these boards to vent a bit and maybe get an answer or idea or two.

Thanks for reading and enjoy what is left of this weekend!

J.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Sales and Views with Ebay Throttling listings since last update Part 2

I have been selling on eBay since 1999. I watched my sales drop $50K OVERNIGHT in April of 2016. For 10 years prior to that my sales averaged $135K. From April of 2016 to present I make at best $80K and that number has dropped another $10k in the past year. When this happened in 2016 I answered by doubling and then tripling my inventory from that 2016 point. This was all for nothing. Despite 3 times the amount of inventory my sales only dropped more (by that $10K mentioned above) So, to any and all who think you can "Build" a business on eBay you are WRONG. You can only sell as much as eBay ALLOWS you to sell. They THROTTLE your sales to a specific amount every year. They even flaunt it by giving you the tools to prove this with their Seller Hub but nobody at eBay CS can explain this issue. Please to troll with "economy" or "inflation". I have been selling for 24 years on this site. The time span I am talking about precedes these excuses. Quite literally eBay has cause my financial distress as I closed down a perfectly good vending company making 6 figures to do eBay full time. My best year on eBay was 2009 where I made over $200K. I only had 200 items average daily item up at that time!!! Today I have over 1200 items and I have been chasing that 2009 year since!!! eBay LET SELLER SELL!!!   

Message 46 of 49
latest reply

I do see EBay ads on Outlook of MY items , but they don't seem to get me to buy (LOL)!

Message 47 of 49
latest reply

I will tell you this. When I want to buy something on ebay I type in the exact thing I want. In the exact spelling. I use the first four or five words I think it will be listed under.

Here is my yesterday story.

I saw someone on offer up (I go there to sell furniture), list a German candle for seventy five bucks. I say to myself...who would buy a candle for seventy five bucks? I wanted to find out and went to ebay. I typed in the EXACT name of the candle. Ebay search turned it into a similar item....not a candle but a candle holder. It changed the spelling right in front of my very eyes. Three times this procedure and it finally went to the candle. One listed for 75.00. Different candle though. There were about thirty candle holders though. This happens to me A lot!!

You can't compete with Ebay's new searchbot.. Also, the economy might have a bit something. I get frustrated buying, searching, selling. aI is not my friend.

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 49 of 49
latest reply