cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Tax - Partner Fee Not Going From PayPal to eBay

Starting in November, sales tax collected by eBay under Marketplace Facilitator laws is being included in the payment the seller received in PayPal and then deducted back out to eBay.  Those deductions show as a "Partner Fee" on PayPal reports and are supposed to be deducted almost immediately.  I have confirmed that is how it is supposed to work and almost all of our transactions for November show that correctly in the PayPal reports.

However, in reconciling the PayPal report for the month, we found  transactions that had tax collected, but no record of that tax being deducted back to eBay.  All  of these transactions occurred on November 20th.

Has anyone else seen orders in PayPal that had marketplace facilitator tax included that was not recorded as being sent to eBay?

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Sales Tax - Partner Fee Not Going From PayPal to eBay

@autopiacarcare wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Just read through this thread.  The answers are here.  You can see the details of the transactions on the transaction report you can download.  You will not see it on the screen you are looking at.  At least not yet.  I have suggested that PP change this format and that on the summary page they lump PP fees and sales tax together.  I hope others will also ask PP to change these reports to make it easier on all of us.

@mam98031  - That is not correct information. You are talking about the summary page, but their screen shots were of the PayPal transaction details page and the eBay order details page, respectively.

If you look back at the screenshots I provided at the beginning of this post, "Tax Collected By eBay"  should be a line item deduction on that screen for MF states.  The reason they are not showing on that screen in that screenshot is because the tax was not sent back to eBay, just like in my 4 transactions where the tax did not get deducted back out to eBay.

This poster also stated that it doesn't show as a Partner Fee in the PayPal report either.  So obviously they are already familiar with how to view that report and how the tax should be displayed, they are just saying that it wasn't showing the tax sent to eBay for this transaction.   Also, they said it was shipping to Alabama, which has been a MF state since July, just to avoid any confusion.

This is not a lack of knowledge regarding how to find the information in PayPal reports and it isn't a misunderstanding of how Marketplace Facilitator taxes are supposed to work.  It is a glitch in communication between eBay and PayPal that is causing the tax not to be sent to eBay and reported properly - which has now been confirmed by someone else.

As far as answers, I still have none.  PayPal says it is an eBay issue.  I am still waiting on a follow up from eBay.

My post above doesn't say anything about Ebay pages or reports.  I was specifically talking about PP.  And as I said above you can see the complete details of a transaction on the downloadable transaction report that I provided a pic of in my previous post.

I understand that you have a separate issue where you had some sales that do not appear to have had the sales tax removed and sent to Ebay.  That is a different issue and one I was not addressing in the post you are referring to.

Further as I understand it you have this reported to Ebay via this thread and on the Weekly Chat and it is being looked into.  Hopefully you will have answers next week.  While this is certainly an important issue for you and any other sellers affected by it, Ebay is legally responsible to pay the tax to the appropriate state, not the seller.  So it is in Ebay's best interest to get this resolved ASAP.  For any sellers caught up in this issue, I would just advise them to leave this money in the PP account until it is resolved.  Don't pull it and don't spend it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I understand that you have a separate issue where you had some sales that do not appear to have had the sales tax removed and sent to Ebay.  That is a different issue and one I was not addressing in the post you are referring to.

It's not a separate issue.  That poster you were responding to literally said they are having the same issue I am and then posted screenshots that show the same exact issue.

You responded with incorrect information (wrongly stating they won't see the sales tax on that page, when the page they showed a screenshot of was the PayPal transaction detail page, not the summary page).  You then proceeded to provide instructions for how to download the report when it was clear they already knew how to do that and were saying that the report didn't show the Partner Fee for that transaction, again exactly like the issue I am having.

You did the same thing to my original post on this topic.  Instead of reading the post and taking the time to understand the issue, you assumed it was a FL sale (despite my saying that all 4 were to MF states) and declared you saw "nothing wrong here".  Please take the time to read complete posts and screenshots and understand what the issue is before assuming that other posters here are either uneducated or misinformed.

Message 32 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Further as I understand it you have this reported to Ebay via this thread and on the Weekly Chat and it is being looked into.  Hopefully you will have answers next week.  While this is certainly an important issue for you and any other sellers affected by it, Ebay is legally responsible to pay the tax to the appropriate state, not the seller.  So it is in Ebay's best interest to get this resolved ASAP.  For any sellers caught up in this issue, I would just advise them to leave this money in the PP account until it is resolved.  Don't pull it and don't spend it.

This issue isn't just about the sales tax and whether or not it gets paid to the states.  That is between eBay and the states and I'm sure eBay will make sure they are covered there regardless of this issue.

When this change was first announced, one of the biggest concerns I saw expressed on this message board was that those tax amounts would now be included in gross sales on the 1099K forms PayPal will be sending to the IRS. 

I highly doubt a few dollars here and there are going to make a huge difference as far as what anyone actually has to pay in income taxes.  However, not being able to properly track and account for every amount in and out could lead to discrepancies in record keeping which could be red flags that may increase the risk of being audited.  

No one wants that headache and if it does happen, sellers need to know that the reports and records we are being provided by eBay and PayPal are accurate.  If they are not, we need to know why and it needs to be corrected.

Message 33 of 56
latest reply

OK clearly we are miscommunicating.  I was responding to someone other than you with a question other than yours.  I wasn't wrong in what I shared with them.  My response to the other member just doesn't have anything to do with your issue, which doesn't make me wrong, it just means I was addressing something else.

From the screenshots the other poster provided, they were looking for the information in the wrong place.  No one can see on the screen they were looking at if the money was pulled out or not.  That part of the transaction is not shown on that screen.

The can't tell, no one can tell from the screenshot they provided if the money was removed to Ebay.  They have to look at the detailed report.  Which I provided a screenshot of the place where they can find such a report.  There may be other places to find the info as well.

Message 34 of 56
latest reply

@autopiacarcare wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

This issue isn't just about the sales tax and whether or not it gets paid to the states.  That is between eBay and the states and I'm sure eBay will make sure they are covered there regardless of this issue.

When this change was first announced, one of the biggest concerns I saw expressed on this message board was that those tax amounts would now be included in gross sales on the 1099K forms PayPal will be sending to the IRS. 

I highly doubt a few dollars here and there are going to make a huge difference as far as what anyone actually has to pay in income taxes.  However, not being able to properly track and account for every amount in and out could lead to discrepancies in record keeping which could be red flags that may increase the risk of being audited.  

No one wants that headache and if it does happen, sellers need to know that the reports and records we are being provided by eBay and PayPal are accurate.  If they are not, we need to know why and it needs to be corrected.

1099K's do NOT report Gross sales.  No 1099K reports that no matter who is issuing it.  It reports Gross Receipts and Gross Receipts is NOT the same thing as Gross Sales.

The IRS defines "Gross receipts" as "The total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses." The federal government uses "Gross sales" to define income based on the total sales price of your reported inventory sold.

All sellers that receive a 1099k, if they are using the amounts reported on this form as their Gross Sales, then they very well may be paying too much tax to the IRS. 

For sellers a few $$s here or there probably won't make much of a difference, but it sure will for Ebay overall because that money will come out of their pockets as they are legally responsible to collect and remit the taxes in all states with a MFL.

The sales tax is just one more thing that a seller needs to deduct from their Gross RECEIPTS to arrive at their Gross Sales.  

1099k.JPG

Message 35 of 56
latest reply

Funny thing is.. the LAW doesn't go into effect here in Illinois until JAN 2020. Why did they start taking taxes out 2 months early? And charging taxes on shipping?! I know a few lawyers who have combed through the new tax bills and don't see anything ordering shipping taxes. Also the Buyer AND Seller both pay taxes on the same item. "Double Dipping"? Just saying

Message 36 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

From the screenshots the other poster provided, they were looking for the information in the wrong place.  No one can see on the screen they were looking at if the money was pulled out or not.  That part of the transaction is not shown on that screen.

The can't tell, no one can tell from the screenshot they provided if the money was removed to Ebay.  They have to look at the detailed report.  Which I provided a screenshot of the place where they can find such a report.  There may be other places to find the info as well.

No one can tell from the PayPal transaction detail page whether the tax was sent to eBay?

I'll refer back to my original screenshots on this thread and highlight the important parts.

Exhibit A is a PayPal transaction detail page in which the tax was properly sent back to eBay.  This can be verified by the line at the bottom showing "Tax Collected by eBay" as a deduction of the sales tax amount.  That same amount is also showing in the downloaded report as a Partner Fee which refers to the original transaction number.

Newtax2.jpg

Exhibit B is one of the transactions where there is no record of the tax being sent back to eBay.  We've already established that since this transaction was shipping to Arizona, which is a marketplace facilitator state, the tax should be going to eBay.  Notice the lack of the "Tax collected by eBay" line.  I can also confirm that there is no entry for a Partner Fee in the downloaded reports for this transaction.

newtax8.jpg

So yes, your belief that no one can tell if the money was sent to eBay from that screen is absolutely wrong.  It has been clearly demonstrated that part of the transaction should be shown on that screen if the tax was sent back to eBay and is not exclusive to the downloadable report.

The most simple and likely reason it didn't show in the screenshot from that other poster is that the tax was not deducted out as it should be, just like they said and just like I have shown happened with 4 of our transactions.

That poster clearly did know where to look.  They weren't looking in the wrong place, they were looking right where it should have been and it wasn't there.  They also stated that it didn't show it as a Partner Fee in the downloadable report either.   That means they had already looked at the report before even posting, so there is really no point in saying that the information is there if they just look in the right place.  It's not there and that is the whole point.

Just because you haven't experienced an issue yourself, don't assume others don't know what they are talking about or just don't know where to look.

Message 37 of 56
latest reply

@playas_57 wrote:

Funny thing is.. the LAW doesn't go into effect here in Illinois until JAN 2020. Why did they start taking taxes out 2 months early? And charging taxes on shipping?! I know a few lawyers who have combed through the new tax bills and don't see anything ordering shipping taxes. Also the Buyer AND Seller both pay taxes on the same item. "Double Dipping"? Just saying

@playas_57 

The lawyers are looking in the wrong place and honestly they should know that.  You / they need to be looking in your states sales tax laws.  

It is easy to assume Ebay is doing something wrong, but in reality they are not.  They are just following the laws of each state that has passed MFLs.  

Sellers do NOT ever pay sales tax on something a buyer purchases on Ebay.  Sales tax is ALWAYS paid by the buyer.  Sellers in states that do not have MFLs but they do require sales tax, then those sellers will still need to collect sales ta

Message 38 of 56
latest reply

We seem to be making this more confusing that necessary.  Let me try this again.  

Your pics are from the payment details NOT TRANSACTION Details.  The two are different.  I've provided a few screen shots of where to locate the report, but I'm happy to do it again.

PP Transaction Report.JPG

This is a downloadable report only.  So you need to view it in a worksheet program.  I use Microsoft Excel.  This report gives the complete details.  When the sales tax is removed and sent off to Ebay, that line in the report has a description that says "partner fee".  I just noticed they put a message on this report screen in PP.  Let me give you a new and improved pic.

PP Transaction Rpt w message.JPG

I am aware and do not dispute that you have some transactions where it does not appear Ebay has pulled the money from your account.  We've discussed this earlier in the thread and I've said.  I am NOT addressing that issue and I'm honestly unsure as to why you want to make it seem as if I am when I've repeatedly told you that I'm not.  

Most everyone's transactions have gone through PP just fine.  For those that want to look at the details on their transactions the report I show above is a great resource.  Not everyone is having the same problem as you about pulling the money out and some just want to see the details of the transactions, which the report above can provide for them.

If you still want to insist that I'm providing incorrect information.  I'm just going to leave it alone and let you guide the way.  I'm not interested in getting into a back on forth on this, there has been a bit to much of that already IMHO.

Message 39 of 56
latest reply

I didn't ask a question in my original post.  I know how to look at the report and I also know it should show the sales tax being sent to eBay on the page I provided a screenshot of, because it shows there on every other sale to a marketplace facilitator state since they made the change.

I said I was experiencing the same issue as the original poster on one transaction and that's what a meant - nothing more and nothing less.

I noticed my PayPal balance was higher than I thought it should be, so I downloaded the report to find the discrepancy.  I found one sale to Alabama that didn't have a line for Partner Fee in the report.  Then I looked that payment up in PayPal and saw it also didn't show the tax being sent back to eBay on that page where it should.  That tax amount is exactly the amount of the discrepancy, so mystery solved.

I was just posting here to let the original poster know they are not alone in experiencing this issue.

Message 40 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Your pics are from the payment details NOT TRANSACTION Details. 

I am aware and do not dispute that you have some transactions where it does not appear Ebay has pulled the money from your account.  We've discussed this earlier in the thread and I've said.  I am NOT addressing that issue and I'm honestly unsure as to why you want to make it seem as if I am when I've repeatedly told you that I'm not.  

Most everyone's transactions have gone through PP just fine.  For those that want to look at the details on their transactions the report I show above is a great resource.  Not everyone is having the same problem as you about pulling the money out and some just want to see the details of the transactions, which the report above can provide for them.

If you still want to insist that I'm providing incorrect information.  I'm just going to leave it alone and let you guide the way.  I'm not interested in getting into a back on forth on this, there has been a bit to much of that already IMHO.

If you believe calling that the Transaction Details page is incorrect, you should contact PayPal and tell them to change their design, because that is exactly what they call it. 

details.jpg

Regardless of what you call that page, the point was the information should have been on that page but it wasn't, because the tax was not deducted to eBay like it should be.  I have to wonder why you are trying to address issues on this thread that no one here brought up, especially the person you were responding to.

For some reason you seem to approach things with your first assumption being that the person posting about an issue is somehow wrong or uninformed, rather than that they may be reporting a legitimate issue that they have researched and educated themselves about before posting here.

You did it when you first responded to me, assuming that I was talking about a sale to FL (even though I specifically said the transactions were to marketplace facilitator states) and dismissing it as "not a problem" based on that faulty assumption.

You did the same thing to this other poster who quite clearly stated they were having the same issue, but instead of taking what they said at face value, you assumed they were just looking in the wrong place and needed to be educated about how to do it correctly.

I understand that people are sometimes (maybe even often) wrong about issues here, but I see no reason to assume that from the start - it comes off as condescending and quite frankly, rude.

I get that most people are not having this issue.  The point of this thread was to bring awareness to the fact that it is happening and to provide a place for those who are being affected to report it/share their experience so we can maybe get it resolved.

If you really do want to "let me guide the way", then please respect that was the intent of this thread and respect that those who may post saying they are having the same issue might be smart enough to know what they are talking about when reporting their own experiences.

Message 41 of 56
latest reply

I have contacted PP to ask for a design change on both the transaction detail report you can download and on the Activity page you can view.  I apologize, I thought I had said that before on the thread.  I believe I've also encouraged others that don't like how it is presenting to also contact PP asking for changes as they see fit.

Message 42 of 56
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I have contacted PP to ask for a design change on both the transaction detail report you can download and on the Activity page you can view.  I apologize, I thought I had said that before on the thread.  I believe I've also encouraged others that don't like how it is presenting to also contact PP asking for changes as they see fit.

I have no problem with you adding in your thoughts on improvements PayPal can/should make to their reporting. The only issue I had, and the only reason I said anything, was you also stated some things that I believe  are incorrect and that could cause confusion.

You said that information would not be showing on that screen and that "no one can tell from the screenshot they provided if the money was removed to Ebay. They have to look at the detailed report."  From my experience, that is incorrect information. They don't have to look at the detailed report, they can also look at the transaction detail page. The report is a great resource and I highly recommend using it, but it is not the only place to view and verify the sales tax being deducted back out to eBay.

If everything is being handled correctly for Marketplace Facilitator taxes, it should be on that page, as was clearly demonstrated in screenshots and also confirmed by the other poster.   If it doesn't show the deduction back to eBay on that page, it shouldn't be dismissed as "they just weren't looking in the right place and need to download the detailed report."  It may be an indication there was an issue in the communication between eBay and PayPal and the tax was not handled correctly.

That being said, I'm open to the possibility that the way I and others are seeing this on our transactions is not the way everyone is seeing it.  If that's the case, I would sincerely like to know about it and dig in to it more.  If you, or anyone else, is not seeing the tax deducted back to eBay on the transaction detail page for MF states (as shown in the screenshots I provided), please share the relevant data from the same screen on one of your recent sales and let us know what state it was going to.

Message 43 of 56
latest reply

OK

Message 44 of 56
latest reply

Just as a follow up, we finally got the email from PayPal today stating that there was an error in the processing of taxes and some transactions were not debited appropriately.

The email does show all 4 of the original transactions in question and provides each transaction ID and the amount of tax for that transaction.  I'm assuming that means it will be debited as four separate amounts, but will follow up if that ends up not being the case when they debit the account in 10 business days.

We also audited the report for December and did not find any discrepancies, so hopefully they have figured out what ever caused the issue and have put in a fix.

Message 45 of 56
latest reply