cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Tax - Partner Fee Not Going From PayPal to eBay

Starting in November, sales tax collected by eBay under Marketplace Facilitator laws is being included in the payment the seller received in PayPal and then deducted back out to eBay.  Those deductions show as a "Partner Fee" on PayPal reports and are supposed to be deducted almost immediately.  I have confirmed that is how it is supposed to work and almost all of our transactions for November show that correctly in the PayPal reports.

However, in reconciling the PayPal report for the month, we found  transactions that had tax collected, but no record of that tax being deducted back to eBay.  All  of these transactions occurred on November 20th.

Has anyone else seen orders in PayPal that had marketplace facilitator tax included that was not recorded as being sent to eBay?

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Sales Tax - Partner Fee Not Going From PayPal to eBay

I live in a no sales tax state, Oregon items are sold from here and shipped from here.  I must have missed the eMail but it seems since November eBay has been charging sales tax to buyers.  I guess its on the up and up. Conversely when I but from a seller in a sales tax state I am rightfully not charged sales tax...

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

@gporpc wrote:

I live in a no sales tax state, Oregon items are sold from here and shipped from here.  I must have missed the eMail but it seems since November eBay has been charging sales tax to buyers.  I guess its on the up and up. Conversely when I but from a seller in a sales tax state I am rightfully not charged sales tax...

@gporpc  - Sales tax is based on the buyer's location, not the seller's location.  If the order is shipping to a state with sales tax, it will be charged to the buyer for their state.

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

RE: Sales tax is based on the buyer's location

Yes as I have found out but only recently

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

@gporpc wrote:

RE: Sales tax is based on the buyer's location

Yes as I have found out but only recently

@gporpc  As an ex-Oregonian, I know this sales tax stuff can be kind of like the first time you travel out of the state and have to pump your own gas. 😉 When it's not something you deal with regularly, it can be a bit confusing.

eBay's help page on this is a good place to start.  https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121#section4

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

@gporpc wrote:

@gporpc 

Sales tax has NEVER been based on the origination of the product sold.  

I think it is easier to wrap you head around this if we actually call this USE tax.  Which is what it is.  See if this helps.

What Is Use Tax?

Use tax is a sales tax on purchases made outside one's state of residence for taxable items that will be used, stored or consumed in one's state of residence and on which no tax was collected in the state of purchase. If the purchase would have been taxed if it was made in the purchaser’s state of residence, then use tax is due.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 50 of 56
latest reply

RE:

It did until last year, I had never had buyers charged sales tax in nearly 20 years of selling on Ebay

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

@gporpc wrote:

RE:

It did until last year, I had never had buyers charged sales tax in nearly 20 years of selling on Ebay

No it didn't.  You just happen to be in one of the few states that have Income tax and no sales tax.  

Use Tax laws have been in place in states with sales tax for many years.  They just didn't have a way to enforce it until the Supreme Court overturn the Wayfair case.  So we were technically suppose to be doing this all along, but there just wasn't a way for the states to do this until now.  The laws started changing in 2018 when the courts overturned Wayfair.  That is why you are seeing what you are seeing happening.

Now still states, even with the overturn of Wayfair / Quill, had an issue on how to collect these taxes from internet sellers on sites like this one.  A great number of the sellers would be under their minimum threshold and therefore would not be collecting and remitting taxes to the various states.

So some brilliant person came up with a MarketPlace Facilitator Law [MFL].  This type of law no longer considers the individual sellers that make up any given marketplace site like Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, etc.  But instead considers them all collectively under the Marketplace.  So it is the sales of the Marketplace as a whole that is consider.  Which is why even the smallest of sellers will see any of their customers that are located in any of the 38 states that currently have a MFL will be charged sales tax.

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

So is it new that the Paypal payment shows what the buyer paid including sales tax and just the amount paid is showing as a PP deposit?

This has only been since November of 2019 as I recall

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

@gporpc wrote:

So is it new that the Paypal payment shows what the buyer paid including sales tax and just the amount paid is showing as a PP deposit?

@gporpc  yes, that is correct, that part is relatively new.  Prior to November 2019 the sales tax was a separate transaction between the buyer and eBay directly.  Buyers and banks were complaining about it, so it was changed.

From November onward the sales tax is included with the payment to the seller and then deducted back out to eBay.  PayPal and eBay had a few hiccups with that process, which is what this thread was originally about, but as of now it does seem that they have sorted everything out.

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

@gporpc wrote:

Yes it is new change, as you stated.  Ebay sent out emails to everyone and put it on the announcement board as well.  So for those that check their emails and actually read the ones that come from Ebay, they weren't surprised.

I don't like having to pay the PP fee on the sales tax better than anyone one else does.  But this isn't going to change no matter how much we complain about it.  Ebay isn't going to go back to how they were processing the sales tax before.  They had too many complaints from confused buyers and funding institutions over all the little charges.  They were separate transactions from whatever was being purchased on Ebay because it wasn't being ran through PP.  So there were so many tiny little charges that buyers didn't understand and financial institutions didn't like.

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

RE:

@gporpc  yes, that is correct, that part is relatively new.  Prior to November 2019 the sales tax was a separate transaction between the buyer and eBay directly.  Buyers and banks were complaining about it, so it was changed.

I C

Message 56 of 56
latest reply