cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAMMED by buyer Returning to Alternate Address

so need some advice.  Sold an expensive item New/Sealed to someone in Georgia

they received and almost immediately wanted to return for refund due to changed their mind

so ebay authorized their return. 
I finally got a notice they gave to USPS about two weeks later.  then got a notice that it was delivered to me Sat morn.   checked my tracking and it said same thing.  but nothing on my ring camera so called delivery branch and spoke with supervisor and he dug deep fortunately and found the tracking they used was addressed to a total different individual in my zip code.  Supervisor actually sent their delivery driver to address and found it was a clown house with almost ten different people living there.  they wouldn't give the box to the delivery driver claiming the delivery addressee wasn't there.
so i can't find anywhere on refund or links to address this with ebay and within two days they will take money back from my account because the fake deliv. conf. number that was used shows delivered.   how can i speak with a human at ebay to report this?   any help is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

ise710
Thrill-Seeker

@micksmuse wrote:

called delivery branch and spoke with supervisor and he dug deep fortunately and found the tracking they used was addressed to a total different individual in my zip code. 

Get that in writing on USPS stationery @micksmuse and upload a photo of it here with a private message to eBay before your automatic refund is issued.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@micksmuse 

Stop spamming this forum with nonsense.  This is not the place for it.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@micksmuse 

Did the buyer give you a different address to ship to or was it the one of the invoice via eBay?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

i sent the box originally to buyer with address on invoice.  that is not the issue.  they received but wanted to return for refund.  so they sent the return to an alternate address that wasn't mine (the one that i shipped the box from).   and used that delivered tracking number as proof that they returned the item.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

There have been a number of these type posts in the last few days. Go through the eBay FaceBook connection they are about the only reliable support eBay has these days. You need to address the return before the open case expires and the buyer potentially asks eBay to step in. That will result in a ding to your account.

You should also file a police report with your local police department. If by chance USPS has an image of the package delivery or has a scan of the label or addressing information from the tracking ask them to provide you with a copy. Talk to your post master general preferably with the police present if you can get them there and work with them to file a USPS IG report for mail fraud/theft. 

House occupants may react differently if the carrier shows up with law enforcement. Not that it really matters but what was this item? 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

your post is rather confusing  

elucidate

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

i sell cd's (remember them? 🙂   it was a kate bush box set, sealed.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Elucidating:

Sent package to buyer, buyer received, requested to return it for refund.
buyer uploaded tracking number to ebay stating item was returned.

i got notice from ebay saying buyers return was just delivered to me
i didn't get it so checked with post office supervisor who checked where that tracking number was delivered
informed me of the name, address etc of delivery

there is no way to transmit that info on the return details with ebay because it shows the return was delivered (and they will assume that it was delivered to me, which it wasn't)

that is why i came here for advise.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@wastingtime101

@valueaddedresource 

We are seeing more and more of these.....and tho it's not necessarily something ebay can do alot about.........sellers do need to know what to do........  Seems like the shipping team needs to work with USPS to give us better accountability of the addresses used for returns.......to at least be able to pinpoint bad buyers.......and report them to Ebay.  Is it necessary to contact Police, Internet fraud people, etc?

Can either of you contact someone beyond the team to call attention to the problem?  Frankly, I doubt just a general message to the shipping team is going to do much good..........

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

how can i speak with a human at ebay to report this?   any help is appreciated. 

@micksmuse 

Unfortunately, the "humans" you get by call back or chat are not likely to help you with this.  Actually, the 'fake tracking return scam' is nothing new here, and I believe you are the third victim to report in today/ 
 Seriously, you are likely number 119, 566, 782 with the same problem on eBay since 2013 /sarcasm. 

I will ask you to read a thread from a victim of a similar scenario (yours may not involve a F. forwarder unless that was the COUNTRY of Georgia) , and pay particular attention to my posts 8, 37, 40 etc. for these are questions I would ask you to get started.  I have been responding to both seller victims and buyer victims for days now and just need a short break.   

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Scammed-on-e-Bay-by-buyer/td-p/34170804

Generally, you need to contact eBay with a written document (which you can upload) via one of their social media portals from the P.O. attesting to the fake tracking issue.   Using the blue message button here is one of them: 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

These are real humans that are familiar with your problem, and have the authority to help (they may or may not), but presented correctly they indeed should. 

Will be back shortly if you have questions. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@wastingtime101

@valueaddedresource 

We are seeing more and more of these.....and tho it's not necessarily something ebay can do alot about.........sellers do need to know what to do........  Seems like the shipping team needs to work with USPS to give us better accountability of the addresses used for returns.......to at least be able to pinpoint bad buyers.......and report them to Ebay.  Is it necessary to contact Police, Internet fraud people, etc?

Can either of you contact someone beyond the team to call attention to the problem?  Frankly, I doubt just a general message to the shipping team is going to do much good..........

@dhbookds thanks for the tag! I agree with you that a general message to the shipping team is probably not going to do much good.

Honestly, in my opinion, this really needs to be escalated up the ladder through Trust and Safety.

This type of scam has been operating on both sides of the marketplace impacting buyers and sellers for years and eBay is well aware of it.

While the shipping team may play an important role in working directly with contacts at the carriers to help implement solutions, ultimately I believe the responsibility for A.) recognizing and acknowledging this is a serious problem on the platform and B.) creating new policies and procedures to combat it falls directly on Trust and Safety, just like every other form of fraud or theft facilitated through the site.

Until/unless the proper people at eBay make it a priority to address the broader security and fraud issues involved here rather than push the responsibility off to the carriers, there's really not much the shipping team can do.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

A.) recognizing and acknowledging this is a serious problem on the platform and B.) creating new policies and procedures to combat it falls directly on Trust and Safety

@valueaddedresource 

Public facing "recognizing and acknowledging" ongoing fraud, especially, with this issue has not been something eBay seems to want to do. 

Instead, it appears that after all these years eBay would still prefer to rely on their old mantra of basically repeating "tracking shows delivered"  end of story whether you are a buyer or seller victim.  I suppose as far as eBay saving money it works so long as the victim, after repeated appeals/denials,  simply gives up and goes away.  As far as I can tell, this is still the front line response used by eBay today.  

It is still eBay's "go to response" if you are a victim as a buyer or a seller, and in the short term it seems to still be serving them well.  I have compared it to 'ignoring the elephant in the room" approach. 

In the not so distant past, there was a website that did provide (viewable by anyone) tracking information with regard to origin, size, weight, and THE ACTUAL STREET ADDRESS where the parcel was delivered.  The information was available for most every carrier except USPS, and for a while there things were looking up a bit for the victims.  They had (if they bothered to come to the boards) access to the information they needed and could not obtain from the carriers in general).  Even Ray Charles (who was blind and now dead) could see what was going on, and there appeared to at least assistance available through eBay's social media portals.  I thought FINALLY A BREAKTHOUGH for victims.....but noooo, the information was removed from that website. 

Buyers that are victims still have redress for their problem once they are informed and convinced to give up the insistence that their problem is NOT merely 'item not received', but rather a fake tracking scam issue. They can DO a credit card chargeback and get their money back so long as they do not insist and stick with INR.  Sellers still have to rely on convincing eBay whose program of "denial" works more efficiently due to controlling the money. 

Putting up a "policy page" on what to do if you are a victim of a fake tracking issue would require an admission that it is a problem here, and providing help procedures may decrease somewhat the effectiveness (for eBay) of the old sorry you lose "because tracking shows you received this item" since victims had a real plan to follow and would expect redress. 

Though it is not quite as bad as it used to be for victims, it was disheartening to see a published response from a social media rep that told the victim that a hand written note from their Post Master stating the parcel was not addressed to or  delivered to the victim was not acceptable. It needed to be type written, so the decision stands.  I hope that was a "one off" from a newbie CS, but still concerned with "you have exhausted the number of allowed appeals so the decision stands" which has appeared more than once.  

The fake return scam where the actual ebay generated return label is altered seems to be a  scheme more prevalent with "international" buyers, and by default those that use Freight Forwarders.  It is not likely that a buyer who is actually in "somewhereistan" would fear the wrath of the US Postal Inspectors for the altered label component in the scam when they send that 'cheap trinket'  or empty envelope to the local CVS or gas station in the sellers zipcode to falsify the return.  

"Tracking shows you received this item" (even if you didn't) so the decision stands." 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

A.) recognizing and acknowledging this is a serious problem on the platform and B.) creating new policies and procedures to combat it falls directly on Trust and Safety

@valueaddedresource 

Public facing "recognizing and acknowledging" ongoing fraud, especially, with this issue has not been something eBay seems to want to do. 

Instead, it appears that after all these years eBay would still prefer to rely on their old mantra of basically repeating "tracking shows delivered"  end of story whether you are a buyer or seller victim.  I suppose as far as eBay saving money it works so long as the victim, after repeated appeals/denials,  simply gives up and goes away.  As far as I can tell, this is still the front line response used by eBay today.  

@ittybitnot Bingo! That's why I believe this is ultimately an issue for Trust and Safety. eBay would have to decide to admit they have a problem and take responsibility for addressing that problem before anyone in the shipping department could even begin to work on the nuts and bolts of how to actually make it happen on a practical level.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Until/unless the proper people at eBay make it a priority to address the broader security and fraud issues involved here rather than push the responsibility off to the carriers, there's really not much the shipping team can do.

Maybe if enough sellers file a complaint with the USPS OIG they will take a look at the issue. This is after all mail fraud and abuse of the postal system. While the OIG is within the postal system they are an independent entity under the supervision of presidentially appointed advisors so they are free from DeJoy's influence. Following is a link to their site where you can file a report. 

https://www.uspsoig.gov/reports 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply